India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks Mangal. The Consulate is only a 15 - 20 minute walk, if I remember right. So, will apply for OIC first and then Visa later, if needed.
I will keep checking on your experience, so I'll get some idea about the timeline, when I'm ready to apply for OIC.

Applying to NY consulate-questions?

I am looking to apply for my OCI in the NY consulate office. I have few questions for someone who has either already applied for their OCI with the NY consulate or has gotten the official answers from the consulate.

How many photos are needed in TOTAL? I see we need 2 photos for the application form (affix one to the original form and one to the duplicate form), how many additional photos to send with the application?

Do the photos have to be 35 mm X 35 mm or standard 2 in. X 2 in. will be OK with the NY Consulate?

Certified check of $275 to be payable to____?

Any additional documents needed besides the following?
- Application form in duplicate
- Photos and Certified check
- Notarized copy of US and IND passport

Thanks
JHSharma

How many photos are needed in TOTAL? I see we need 2 photos for the application form (affix one to the original form and one to the duplicate form), how many additional photos to send with the application?
2 photos to stick on the application forms + 3 additional-Total 5

Do the photos have to be 35 mm X 35 mm or standard 2 in. X 2 in. will be OK with the NY Consulate?
I think they have to be of the required size.Just snip a bit around the edges (35mm=1.3 inches) and you should be fine

"Consulate General of India,New York".You also have to send $15 as return mailing charges.So total payable is $290.

The documents have to also be in duplicate.So take a xerox of the notarised copy and attach it to your duplicate form.

Last edited by a moderator:
mangal969, thanks for the quick reply, this really helps.

Two quick clarifications:

Is the $15 mailing charges per person or per application (I will have my spouse in the application as well)?

Also, does the $15 check has to be seperate? In other words, for 2 people on the application what amount / number of checks should I include?

Thanks again

Is the $15 mailing charges per person or per application (I will have my spouse in the application as well)?
I think it's per application but i am not sure.

Also, does the $15 check has to be seperate? In other words, for 2 people on the application what amount / number of checks should I include?
You can send a single consolidated cheque for the whole amount.

Couple of questions:

1. Notarized copy of Passport: Does this mean that we copy ALL pages of the passport and the notary public signs & Stamps each page?

2. If we did not surrender the IND passport yet & the Consulate did not stamp cancelled on it, can we still send a notarized copy for the OIC card?

Thanks!

MHA anti PIO?

Looks like we have found out why OCI has taken so long to implement, and why MHA has been sitting on its hands...

The Home Ministry has stated that PIO status of a foreign national is not absolute and can be cancelled due to antecedents or subsequent conduct. It has argued that if they are equated with NRIs, there will be legal problems in taking action against them for any liability.

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=86180

Don't know why they are full of so much rubbish. Even full Citizenship is "not absolute" and can be cancelled due to "antecedence or subsequent conduct" according to the Citizenship Act 1955. And if this is a problem, why is it OK for a PIO to hold other property?

Finally the truth is out, and the dirty politics and spin of the MHA has been exposed. No wonder they sat on the OCI application forms for 15 months. They probably pushed back on full dual citizenship too.

As Per CGISF

mangal969 said:
2 photos to stick on the application forms + 3 additional-Total 5

Not as per cgisf. They want 3 total - 2 pasted and 1 not.

I think they have to be of the required size.Just snip a bit around the edges (35mm=1.3 inches) and you should be fine

Again as per cgsif 2in x 2in

"Consulate General of India,New York".You also have to send $15 as return mailing charges.So total payable is $290.

The documents have to also be in duplicate.So take a xerox of the notarised copy and attach it to your duplicate form.

Just look at previous messages in this thread. Somebody posted messages from the OCI cell at one of the CGIs.

mangal969 said:
I think it's per application but i am not sure.

You can send a single consolidated cheque for the whole amount.

1. Notarized copy of Passport: Does this mean that we copy ALL pages of the passport and the notary public signs & Stamps each page?
Just the photo page

2. If we did not surrender the IND passport yet & the Consulate did not stamp cancelled on it, can we still send a notarized copy for the OIC card?
You can but better to send it for cancellation at the same time.Or to be safe send it for cancellation first and then send it for OIC

Krazie-For some stupid reason all the embassies have different requirements.My answers for the requirements pertain to the NY embassy only.

Last edited by a moderator:
mangal969 said:
Krazie-For some stupid reason all the embassies have different requirements.My answers for the requirements pertain to the NY embassy only.

I agree....it appears that different CGI's have different requirements for the same OCI application. Maybe India should outsource processing the OCI's to a private organization in India to get everything in sync! :D

TAX implication on dual citizenship etc

Hi,

Does US Govt allow dual citizenship?

What is the TAX implication on dual citizenship?

Will I be taxed for the same income and property by both countries?

If I buy/sell any apartment in India, how will it be taxed?

Please send me any pointer to the TAX rule for dual citizens.

Thanks,
astro2006

Not Dual Citizen

As per the NY Consulate in the overview of OIC (point 4):

Please note that OCI is not, repeat not Dual Citizenship. The Constitution of India does not permit the facility of holding Indian Citizenship simultaneously with a foreign citizenship. The OCI holder would therefore not be eligible for the following rights in India: (i) Right to vote; (ii) Right to hold constitutional office (i.e. parliament, courts, cabinet posts, etc.); and (iii) Right to hold posts in government services sector.

What does "self attesting" mean?

The instructions in Part B talk about "self attesting" the documents. Can somebody tell me what this means?

Cheers!

Self attesting means you write
"I hereby certify this to be a copy of the original document" and sign it.

But most embassies here want notarised copies (if you are in the US).So take a copy,get it notarised and then take a copy of the notarised papers and attach them to the forms.

PIO1 said:
Don't know why they are full of so much rubbish. Even full Citizenship is "not absolute" and can be cancelled due to "antecedence or subsequent conduct" according to the Citizenship Act 1955. And if this is a problem, why is it OK for a PIO to hold other property?

Finally the truth is out, and the dirty politics and spin of the MHA has been exposed. No wonder they sat on the OCI application forms for 15 months. They probably pushed back on full dual citizenship too.

What does it mean actually ? Is PIO illegal ? I am about to buy a property in India and take up employment in India - can I do that or not ? Is better to convert to OCI and do those things ?

Mangal , PIO and others please help.

Thanks for clarifying. I have the docs notarized, so I suppose there won't be a need for me to self attest them anymore?

mangal969 said:
Self attesting means you write
"I hereby certify this to be a copy of the original document" and sign it.

But most embassies here want notarised copies (if you are in the US).So take a copy,get it notarised and then take a copy of the notarised papers and attach them to the forms.

basis said:
What does it mean actually ? Is PIO illegal ? I am about to buy a property in India and take up employment in India - can I do that or not ? Is better to convert to OCI and do those things ?

Mangal , PIO and others please help.

As a PIO Card Holder - you are almost eligible to do anything like OCI except that you will have to register with Police Authorities if your stay exceeds 180 days.

You will be eligible to buy the property and work in India without a separate employment visa etc. (Ofcourse - in the private sector - not eligible to work in Public Service/Govt. Postings).

PIO1,The MHA's observation was only in regard to FDI in the aviation sector and purely from a national security standpoint.

Basis,you can certainly buy property and take up employment with a PIO card.But you would have to report to the FRRO every 6 months (As an OIC you would not).There is nothing 'illegal' about it.But you cant open your own airlines :)

Astro2006,
If you are a US citizen you will be taxed on your global income.At the same time you will receive credit for the taxes you pay in India.If you are a canadian citizen or the like you will not have to pay any tax for income generated in India-that tax will have to be paid in india only.
For details,best you consult a professional.