India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
were you meaning, OCIv1 applications? (OCIv1 has to be done in n delhi since there was no online registration then, but v2 has good chance of being decentralized)

qwert97 said:
As per this reply from the local embassy clearly MHA is printing the OCI cards and also the Visa stickers. The embassy will just affix the visa stickers

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thanks for your mail.
The applications for OCI submitted in 2004 or early 2005 are being dealt with by the Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi. Once we hear from them, we would let you know. You need not reapply in the new scheme. We would seek your foreign passports when we receive the visa stickers.

With best wishes,

mangal969 said:
In some of the pics you can clearly see the U visa and the OCI card.
The OCI card does look like the passport and the U visa like a version of the US visa with digital photograph and all.
But i'd be able to tell you for sure when i get my OCI :D

I guess our theory of the OCI issued just being a cardboard replica is out the window-But then this begs the question-If they really are ready,why all this confusion and delay ???

We recently got our “US Citizenship” in November 2005. We are in process of getting “US Passport” for us and our children. My questions are as follows.

1.Can we apply for “OCI” while our “US Passport” are in process?

2.Our Children (Daughter 17 years old, and Son 13 years old) got their “US Citizenship” based on our citizenship, under “Child Citizenship Act of 2000” (See below). Question is will a copy of our “US Citizen and Naturalization Certificate” will be considered as their proof of US citizenship?

3.When we need to send US passport for “U Visa” stickers? Is it after 12 weeks when we are registered as OCI? Or along with the application?

I would appreciate if you can answer these questions for me as soon as possible.

dilipjaju said:
1.Can we apply for “OCI” while our “US Passport” are in process?
No

2.Our Children (Daughter 17 years old, and Son 13 years old) got their “US Citizenship” based on our citizenship, under “Child Citizenship Act of 2000” (See below). Question is will a copy of our “US Citizen and Naturalization Certificate” will be considered as their proof of US citizenship?
No
They dont need proof of US citizenship.They just want a copy of your US passport.They need proof of Indian citizenship/ancestry.

3.When we need to send US passport for “U Visa” stickers? Is it after 12 weeks when we are registered as OCI? Or along with the application?
As soon as the embassy informs you that you have been approved for OCI

Rajax said:
I sent a notarized copy of the photo page of the US passports of my wife and mine for each set.

For evidence of Indian origin I sent them copies of our birth certificates, self attested. this is acceptable evidence per the list of documents to show indian origin..

I'm not so sure.I had also sent in self attested copy but today i talked to a guy at the OCI cell of CGINY.He told me that all documents are to be attested and self attested will not do.
To be on the safe side I am sending attested copies of my US as well as expired Indian passports as a supplement to my application.

I wish these guys knew what they were doing.I just back checked on the MHA website and they are clearly saying self attested documents are OK.

From CGISF

Thank you for your interest in OIC scheme.

To answer your queries:

1) Total no. of photographs required are 3 for each applicant.

2) Copies of both the passports- US as well as Indian need to be notarized.
Notarize only the first page. Pages with important and relevant information
are required to be photocopied and not the complete passport.

3) All the attachments/ documents are required to be in duplicate.

Yours Sincerely,

OCI Team
Consulate General of India
540 Arguello Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94118

mangal969 said:
I'm not so sure.I had also sent in self attested copy but today i talked to a guy at the OCI cell of CGINY.He told me that all documents are to be attested and self attested will not do.
To be on the safe side I am sending attested copies of my US as well as expired Indian passports as a supplement to my application.

I wish these guys knew what they were doing.I just back checked on the MHA website and they are clearly saying self attested documents are OK.

Reply from CGI SF

I'm glad they are responding quickly via email. I got this in response to my questions.

"
1. Copies of both the passports- US as well as Indian need to be notarized. Notarize only the first page. Pages with important and relevant information are required to be photocopied and not the complete passport.

2. All the attachments/ documents are required to be in duplicate, which means that only one set of original notarized documents will suffice. Please attach only a photocopy of notarized documents along with your second set (duplicate) of OCI application form.

3. You can get your Indian passport cancelled when you will send your US passport for U-visa.

malgudi said:
Talk about non-standard procedures ... can somebody please clarify the following?

1. Do they need notarized copies of both passports (US and India)? Or is it just the US passport?

2. Since we've been asked to file in duplicate, does this mean that we need to notarize the 2nd copy of the passport(s) as well?

3. Should the Indian passport be "cancelled" by the consulate before I make copies for the OCI application? My Indian passport expired many moons ago and I never bothered to get it officially cancelled.

:confused:

Good news !
http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=349143

First batch of OCI cards and U visas dispatched ! ! !

It's a small batch of 374 to be followed by 1000 next week.I guess they will first cover the 2004 applicants and the 2005 applicants (from Aus NZ etc).the 2006 US applicants may see their OCI cards around Feb.

Not bad (not good either but thats a different issue)

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is they will first issue to the 2004 applicants and then to those people who applied in Nov-Dec and then the new applicants.I would think the new applicants will get their OIC cards by March.
Of course this also depends on total no of people actually approved for OIC.

mangal969 said:
My guess is they will first issue to the 2004 applicants and then to those people who applied in Nov-Dec and then the new applicants.I would think the new applicants will get their OIC cards by March.
Of course this also depends on total no of people actually approved for OIC.

Mangal

Whats the difference between the 2004 applicants and the Nov/Dec applicants? The reason I am asking is that the scheme opened only in November and closed in Jan of 2005? So I will categorise all of them as one category.

qwert97 said:
Mangal

Whats the difference between the 2004 applicants and the Nov/Dec applicants? The reason I am asking is that the scheme opened only in November and closed in Jan of 2005? So I will categorise all of them as one category.

I would agree with this.

qwert97 said:
Mangal

There is really one category. Applications will be processed based on the date you submitted starting with the earliest including 2004 and on.

qwert97 said:
Mangal

By Nov/Dec applicants i meant Nov-Dec in 2005 from Australia etc.They will be processed in the order they were received but there would be a certain number of people who need to submit more documentation.So it may come faster for some rather than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mangal - I see that you have/ will be applying for OIC from NYC as well. I recently became a USC and my US passport is still being processed for more than a month :( which actually prevents me from applying for a OIC / PIO right away. I was told that I should get my US passport latest by next week. I have tentative plans to vacation in India late March/early April. So, I called the OIC# in NY to find out if I applied next week, would I get the OIC thingy by March. The guy said the same thing as listed on cgny's website that it will take 1-4 months for most cases. He couldn't give me any more information on the timeframe. Then I asked him whether it is better in my case to apply for a 6 month visa concurrently with the OIC app - just in case it takes longer for them to issue the OIC, then I will at least have a visa to travel to India. He wasn't exactly sure about it, but after a pause he said it should technically be ok.

I wanted to check with you and the other members here, if I should file for OIC first and if I see that it is not getting issued to me by mid March, then apply for the 6 months visa, as it won't take very long to get the visa? I want to know if I'm allowed to apply for a 6 month visa while the OIC is in progress? Thank you.

jenimmi,
Your plan seems to be OK.They cannot stop you from taking a 6 month visa while your OIC app is being processed.
The visa processing time is very short-Applications by mail come within 10-12 days and if your willing to go to NY you can get it as early as the evening of the day you apply.