India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OCI v2 - simplified - or is it?

mangal969 said:
Krazie,Chicago and NY clearly want 5 (2 pasted+ 3 extra).Might as well send 5 photos to be safe
In fact, just take your family photo album in, and let them pick and choose ;)

OCI v2 was meant to simplify the application process from OCI v1. This forum was running since before OCI v1. By looking at the feedback, check which process was easier. v1 or v2? :D

Whoa ! PIO1 seems to be real pissed ....Cant blame him actually...
NY has still kept it at 3.5x 3.5 and i sent my form in today...Lets see how it goes.
PIO1 think of it this way,get your OIC and you never have to see a single consulate official again for your whole life ! ! ! Something to look forward to ??????

qwert97 said:
You cannot withdraw the application. My local embassy informed me last time that as per the provisions, the application fees is only refunded if your applciation is rejected. Since it is still in process it does not have the status of 'rejection' so no money is refundable.

But you should try and speak to the consulate general or ambassador and explain him the whole story. They are generally IFS officers and have much more logic than the babus.

Consulate General knows about it. The answer is still 'No' for the refund.

qwert97 said:
I would write to the Prime Ministers office. You should send them a letter (not an email). I am 100% sure that you will get an answer back and it will be investigated/

Sure - I can certainly write to the PM's office as well. I thought the new Ministry is most relevant to deal with this matter.

In fact, I am thinking that when PM gets my letter - it will be redirected to the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs for further action.

Qwer97 - Any further comments please.

qwert97 said:
I would write to the Prime Ministers office. You should send them a letter (not an email). I am 100% sure that you will get an answer back and it will be investigated/

I have decided to send a copy of the letter to PM as well.
Hope that will help.

The truth of OCI

After the song and dance of the OCIs the reality of the PBD is sinking home...

You and I would believe the surfers would be euphoric at the announcement of the Overseas Indian Citizenship (OCI), right? Wrong.

They are in no mood to get fooled. Over the past four years, they have seen the Divas being reduced to a farce and they don't shy away from saying so.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1594390,0093.htm

boggavarapu said:
I have decided to send a copy of the letter to PM as well.
Hope that will help.

Do it the other way round. Send the letter to PMO with a copy to Ministry of Overseas affairs. That way PMO will be enpowered to get the information from Minsitry of overseas affairs, MHA or MEA as it may deem fit. Make sure you mention that you have spoken to Consulate general and he has expressed his helplessness and that you do not know who else to contact.

PIO1 said:
After the song and dance of the OCIs the reality of the PBD is sinking home...

That's so true. I am glad HIndustan Times covered the story. But does anybody in GOI care? Well they survived another PBD and that is what that matters..see you next year!

It seems that giving the two OCI cards was nothing more than a propoganda and more related to getting Intel into India rather helping NRI's. But thats part of the game...Most of us on this forum are probably going to get OCI because they hate wasting their time and energy to get a visa from an embassy. It is just a medicane for inefficiency.

Let me add to the 'conspiracy theory': the other gentleman (the 2nd OCI card receiver) is the president and CEO of National Bancard corporation,Chicago!

Also I e-mailed a letter to CGISF to clarify about the notarisation of documents.The answer reminded me of my 3rd grade school teacher who also dabbled in politics and never gave a straight answer :)
Thank you for your interest in OCI scheme.

The supporting documents for OCI application must be notorized. As we have seen, notary public notarizes the passport and other documents.Since,
we cannot see the original documents, the seal of notary public authenticates your photocopies.

Yours Sincerely,

Holy flip flop Batman! ! !

Now CGISF requires ONLY 2 photographs which are to be pasted on the form !
Dear Sir,
You are requested to kindly follow the instructions mentioned on our website.

Only the front page of your passport copy needs to be notarized and we
require only 2 photographs which should be pasted on both the copies of the
application form.

Yours Sincerely,

Consulate General of India
540 Arguello Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94118

Thanks for posting the replies

Really appreciate it guys. Since I could not get through on the phone to anybody at CGISF.

mangal969 said:
Let me add to the 'conspiracy theory': the other gentleman (the 2nd OCI card receiver) is the president and CEO of National Bancard corporation,Chicago!

Also I e-mailed a letter to CGISF to clarify about the notarisation of documents.The answer reminded me of my 3rd grade school teacher who also dabbled in politics and never gave a straight answer :)

well done mangal on sorting this out for the benefit of others ... esp seeing as you are not from SF!

Inspired by others on this board, and for the benefit of those of you from countries that do not allow dual citizenship, I clarified with the relevant consulates (Embassy of Austria etc) why they were preventing OCI, given OCI is not dual citizenship.

The answer was that MHA policy is not to grant OCI to citizens of countries that do not allow dual citizenship, and that is that.

One more question for the policy makers at MHA I guess. Good thing they don't reply emails.

mangal969 said:
Holy flip flop Batman! ! !

Now CGISF requires ONLY 2 photographs which are to be pasted on the form !

Until 1 hour ago the website said 2 photographs, now it says 3. check it out.

:) :) Unbelievable.

Email from SFO a few mins ago on PHOTOS

romit said:
Until 1 hour ago the website said 2 photographs, now it says 3. check it out.
:) :) Unbelievable.

This is what I got in the last few minutes from the CGISF.

- they want one 2x2 photo on each application and one extra.
- yes , need notarization of passport copy

-----Original Message-----
From: Overseas Citizenship of India, CGISF [mailto:OCI@CGISF.ORG]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:47 PM
To: Raja
Subject: Re: ATTENTION MS MONICA

Dear Mr. Raja,

1.Total number of photographs required for each applicant are 3. You must paste one photograph (2 "x 2") each on the application form and send one additional with the form.

2.notary public will either attest on the photocopies or will attach a separate notarized letter stating the authencity of the photocopies.

Yours Sincerely,

Monica Sinha
Consulate General of India
540 Arguello Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94118

foto fiasco

This is just incredible and borders on incompetency. How can they possibly change such key requirements in a matter of hours?

Rajax said:
This is what I got in the last few minutes from the CGISF.

- they want one 2x2 photo on each application and one extra.
- yes , need notarization of passport copy

Last edited by a moderator:
qwert97 said:
Do it the other way round. Send the letter to PMO with a copy to Ministry of Overseas affairs. That way PMO will be enpowered to get the information from Minsitry of overseas affairs, MHA or MEA as it may deem fit. Make sure you mention that you have spoken to Consulate general and he has expressed his helplessness and that you do not know who else to contact.

Hi Qwert97,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Well, the reason I addressed the letter to the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs is because from now onwards, it is the nodal Ministry for all the matters related to Overseas Indians and especially related to OCI scheme.
It is a specially created Ministry by PM to deal with these kind of problems.

I certainly wanted PM to know what is going on and see if PM's office would like to intervene as well. That is why I have already mailed a copy of the letter to PM this morning.

Otherwise, Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs will follow all the procedures like PM's Office and will should possess equal power and access to other Ministries. If they really want to help, I think they can do it just as PM's office.

If I donot get any response from the Ministry in the foreseeable future, I will definitely then write directly to PM and quote the reference of my letter copy that I already sent to him.

Please let me know if you agree with my view in this matter. If you have any further suggestions, please let me know. I will be glad to consider.

Signature for Minor (2 years old)

Since nobody asked this question before, let me ask and see if anybody has the answer.

What do you do for the signature box on the minor's (for example, 2 years old) application form?

Thank you.

romit said:
Since nobody asked this question before, let me ask and see if anybody has the answer.

What do you do for the signature box on the minor's (for example, 2 years old) application form?

Thank you.

Finally after searching I found Indian Embassy in Sydney which clearly says if the minor cannot sign, you may left it blank.

Boggavarapu,
I think you should send a letter to all of the following:
PMO
MOIA
MHA
MEA
Consul General of your embassy
Ambassador of India
Editor of a national newspaper

Send each letter independent of the others (Dont write the CC list)