India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for forwarding the emails

IMO, the requirement for 2 photographs was clear from the beginning (see my earlier post). Having said that, I do appreciate you forwarding the replies from CGISF.

I had written to them asking for an appointment to submit the OCI application in person (I thought this might be better to get any issues sorted out at the very beginning of the process), but haven't heard back. Anybody have better luck than this?

mangal969 said:
Holy flip flop Batman! ! !

Now CGISF requires ONLY 2 photographs which are to be pasted on the form !

Last edited by a moderator:
over hyped OCI card

... the much-hyped Overseas Citizen of India card. This is not very different from the present People of Indian Origin (PIO) card, which already allows most of the facilities that the overseas citizens' card promises to offer.

...Indians have done well wherever they have gone. If India wants to woo them, it needs to offer something concrete. Platitudes and half-baked measures are not enough.

http://dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1006541&CatID=19

romit said:
Until 1 hour ago the website said 2 photographs, now it says 3. check it out.

:) :) Unbelievable.

They spent 14 months simplifying the requirements but it was worth the wait!

In OCI v1, my consulate wanted 4 photos. Now they want 3. WOW. I wonder if I can apply again just to make use of this more simplified system?

malgudi said:
IMO, the requirement for 2 photographs was clear from the beginning (see my earlier post). Having said that, I do appreciate you forwarding the replies from CGISF.

I had written to them asking for an appointment to submit the OCI application in person (I thought this might be better to get any issues sorted out at the very beginning of the process), but haven't heard back. Anybody have better luck than this?

You require 3 photographs...Check the earlier posts (Reply from CGISF to Mr Raja) and/or the website :D
I think you would be better off mailing it to them...God knows when they will actually start giving appointments and i doubt even more if they will check the documents there and then.

PIO1 said:

In OCI v1, my consulate wanted 4 photos. Now they want 3. WOW. I wonder if I can apply again just to make use of this more simplified system?

OCI is not dual citizenship and in more than one ways we have been duped.But i am eager to get OCI just for the fact that it is cheaper then PIO and once i get it i will never have to see the embassy or FRRO again in my life !

PIO1,Are you sure you will clear pre/post verification now that they have 4 photographs of you instead of 3 ? Wont that arouse their suspicions about you ?
:D :D :D

PIO1 said:

You have a great sense of homour :) Like you I had also applied for oci v1; as a result of simplification I do not know the status of my application.

Here is a copy and paste from Consulate General of Toronto website. Either they have nmot updated their website or they are following the old procedure i.e. they will register a person as OCI within 15 days. Has anybody had any success in getting an OCI from that consulate general?

http://www.cgitoronto.ca/
--------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Procedure for granting registration:

After preliminary scrutiny, if there is no adverse information available against the applicant, the Indian Mission/Post shall register a person as OCI within 15 days of application and the case shall be referred to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), New Delhi for post verification of the antecedents of the applicant. If during the post verification, any adverse information comes to the knowledge of the MHA, the registration as OCI already granted by the Indian Mission/Post shall be cancelled by an order under section 7 D of the Citizenship Act, 1955.

After preliminary scrutiny, if there is any adverse information against the applicant, prior approval of MHA, New Delhi shall be required before grant of registration. MHA may approve or reject the grant of registration within 90 days from the date of the receipt of the application. If the grant of registration as OCI is approved by MHA, the Indian Mission/Post shall register the person as OCI.

If the application is filed in India, registration shall be granted by MHA by following the above procedure.

qwert97,
The 15 day rule is in the 'new' law,not the old one.They are supposed to do it (except in cases that require referral to the MHA) but unfortunately they are declaring processing times of upto 4 months,I guess partly because people are so frisky.I hope they will initally issue it in 30 days or so and once the process is smoothly running within the prescribed 15 days.

qwert97 said:
Here is a copy and paste from Consulate General of Toronto website. Either they have nmot updated their website or they are following the old procedure i.e. they will register a person as OCI within 15 days. Has anybody had any success in getting an OCI from that consulate general?
No one has got a real OCI that I know of ... other than those two at the PBD. Despite this people (like me) are giving away a considerable sum of money to the consulates. Welcome to the club of OCI limbo!

If OCI was operational from 2 December, then they should have had the cards ready by 17 December. We waited to 7 Jan for the PM to "cut the ribbon", but I think we can all conclude now that the 2 Dec date was not true.

mangal969 said:
PIO1,Are you sure you will clear pre/post verification now that they have 4 photographs of you instead of 3 ? Wont that arouse their suspicions about you ?
:D :D :D

I'm hoping to get 2 OCI cards, as compensation for waiting 14 months. They have enough photos. One to travel with and one to keep safe at home.

BTW now that they give you a U-Visa, can you leave your OCI card behind when visiting, or do you have to carry it with you still?

As far as things go right now you would need both.
But logically only the visa should be enough.They cant bar you from entering the country if you have the visa but not the card !

Sent my OCI application off..

mangal969 said:
qwert97,
The 15 day rule is in the 'new' law,not the old one.They are supposed to do it (except in cases that require referral to the MHA) but unfortunately they are declaring processing times of upto 4 months,I guess partly because people are so frisky.I hope they will initally issue it in 30 days or so and once the process is smoothly running within the prescribed 15 days.

I sent off my package to CGISF yesterday Jan 10, Tuesday. Im expecting a real fast response for the following reasons.

1) The initial load @CGISF should not be high (say max 2000 apps in next 30 days) - remember that many citizens who have PIO cards /long term visas won't be in a rush - rather new US citizens with short term visas or no visas to india (like me), or those moving soon to india will want to apply rightaway.)

2) the possibility that CGISF has planned to staff the OCI "cell" with a decent number of temp hands that is scalable based on demand (they better- the fee is daylight robbery, a la USCIS)

3) The OCI booklets (whatever that is) may need to come from India but the approval should be immediate/local and visa sticker within 15 days, no?

but ...you can never say ....some stupidity like sticker will not be affixed until the booklet is issued by N Delhi is always there. the main bottleneck always will, was and is - n delhi.

-rajax
ps: does anyone know if the US passport with the sticker is enough to travel to india or we need to lug the "booklet" around too?

Any one know the process for people who are already in India. PIOs in India -how can they get OCI / is there a website where you can get the info.

Rajax said:
I sent off my package to CGISF yesterday Jan 10, Tuesday. Im expecting a real fast response for the following reasons...

I used to think like you. That was November 2004 when I put my OCI application form in. Then days, weeks months, and a full year slipped by with no news not even an application acknowledgement. I turned into a nervous wreck, and my only solace in life became this forum.

I have discovered that my purpose in life is to be a warning for others - so please don't have unrealistic expectations of our babus.

basis said:
Any one know the process for people who are already in India. PIOs in India -how can they get OCI / is there a website where you can get the info.

People in India have to apply at the FRRO/CHO.

Rajax,
I would hope but not expect for a quick response.

1.People who have visas and property issues and those who want to invest in India will also apply ASAP.PIO card holders will wait unless they want to spend more than 6 months in India.

2.Dont know if they will actually hire temp hands/get more staff until there is a pile of applications the size of the empire state building !

3.I dont think the OCI booklets will be filled in India.THey would just have to be sending in the raw booklets and the embassy staff here would have to fill it.Technically,approval is local (unless reference is needed) and they should hand the visa atleast within 15 days but realistically who knows.

Like I said earlier-Hope but do not expect

Rajax said:
I sent off my package to CGISF yesterday Jan 10, Tuesday. Im expecting a real fast response for the following reasons.

1) The initial load @CGISF should not be high (say max 2000 apps in next 30 days) - remember that many citizens who have PIO cards /long term visas won't be in a rush - rather new US citizens with short term visas or no visas to india (like me), or those moving soon to india will want to apply rightaway.)

2) the possibility that CGISF has planned to staff the OCI "cell" with a decent number of temp hands that is scalable based on demand (they better- the fee is daylight robbery, a la USCIS)

3) The OCI booklets (whatever that is) may need to come from India but the approval should be immediate/local and visa sticker within 15 days, no?

but ...you can never say ....some stupidity like sticker will not be affixed until the booklet is issued by N Delhi is always there. the main bottleneck always will, was and is - n delhi.

-rajax
ps: does anyone know if the US passport with the sticker is enough to travel to india or we need to lug the "booklet" around too?

Good luck with your application. The embassy of NZ started receiving OCI v2 applications from 16th November and as per their website they are still waiting for OCI cards from MHA. Besides MHA would be under pressure to take care of the 5000 (OCI v1)odd applications received in 2004. You will be lucky if you get your application processed in 3 months..15 days is a rather impossible!

My advise to all new applicants is to wait till you see an actual OCI card processed by your local embassy. Don't rush in making applications.

The whole process is confusing...what will the OIC holders get?

- A life long sticker in the passport along with a registration certificate
or
- Another PIO booklet that says OIC, and a sticker for the passport?

fitness99 said:
The whole process is confusing...what will the OIC holders get?

- A life long sticker in the passport along with a registration certificate
or
- Another PIO booklet that says OIC, and a sticker for the passport?

They have changed their minds so many times...I think it will be:

A life long sticker in the passport; and
OCI Card Booklet similar to the PIO Card booklet.