India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rajax said:
After all the wait.

for the life of me cant understand why they had to centralize a website knowing well they are gonna screwww up....

no wonder the site is down today. we "latecomers" (and its only monday morning phx time) can't get to the forms.

Question1 : Is there anyone who went in over the weekend and downloaded the Part A and B? If so, is this the same form avaliable from the MHA site? (so we can fill that and send)

Question2: For stamp-sized photos, can we not just use the digital camera and crop to the size. and be done with it?

No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets.
- Edward Abbey

1. Same thing. I checked them after going through online registration and downloading them

2. Not a big deal I believe

Just to let you all know I sent 2 emails to SFO OCI team about the number of photo requirements and $15 extra requirement things and no reply yet.

anybody with any clues on $15 extra thing? is it for the entire family or $15 for each applicant?

Thanks.

PIO1 said:
Agree with boggavarapu. ExEB1Waiter & jenimmi. Until you hear of OCI v2 applications being processed in a reasonable time - here this will get you to India and save you money:

Adults: 6 month visa, and apply for OCI when available.
Kids: PIO now, and upgrade when OCI is available. (Sometimes PIO may take 5 days)

This will save you $$$ and you won't need to wait for the OCI like a lot of us did.

Thanks a lot, PIO1, Mangal and Boggavarapu. Starting with the photograph confusion, it looks like I will need a lot of clarifications from this thread when I'm ready to apply for the OCI. Also, it looks like even if I did apply now, there still may be a chance that I won't get OCI before my trip in March-April. So, a 6 month visa is more cost-effective for the immediate need?

PIO1 - Thanks for the link regarding property purchase. This is much easier to follow than the RBI link. Like you said, FAQ section is more complicated than the law itself :rolleyes:

Pending OIC Applications from 2004

I contacted the Consulate in the USA. I was informed that the pending applications will be dealt with priority.

No refund permissible as such for the PIO Card holders who already applied in 2004 paying the full fee.

Reduced fee of $25.00 applies to only fresh applicants who are already PIO Card holders!

I feel very disheartened with the whole situation. I would have saved about $1000 (on the four OCI applications) if I had only waited until the scheme has been launched. With lot of enthusiasm, I applied in the early days and learnt my lesson once again :mad: :mad:

I have now written a letter to the Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs explaining the situation and see if he can help to get the refund in any way. I very much doubt any positive outcome. :mad: :mad:

I wonder if there is anything else I can really do in this matter? I would appreciate any further suggestions. Thanks.

SF Consulate

Romit,

I have tried calling the SF consulated multiple times today. Either they don't pick up the phone or I get a busy-tone. I'll try it a couple more times but if I don't get through, I am going to simply go with four Passport sized photographs : two stapled to the in-duplicate forms and two as part of the documentation.

You would think that they would have checked for inconsistent documentation before relasing it and made it consistent, atleast across all the US consulates.

Oh well....

romit said:
1. Same thing. I checked them after going through online registration and downloading them

2. Not a big deal I believe

Just to let you all know I sent 2 emails to SFO OCI team about the number of photo requirements and $15 extra requirement things and no reply yet.

anybody with any clues on $15 extra thing? is it for the entire family or $15 for each applicant?

Thanks.

SF Website is updated

Jurisdiction of the Consulate General of India, San Francisco are: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. To apply at this Consulate Office, you must reside in one of the above States. If your State is not mentioned, please click here.

(a) Click “Online Registration” and complete the form (Part-A) online.

(b) When you have completed filling in Part A, click Save. A Print Window would appear. Click OK to print out your application form consisting of Part-A (which you completed as Online Registration). The blank form of Part-B will automatically print itself.

(c) You must then complete Part-B, preferably TYPED. It may also be handwritten but in CAPITAL LETTERS with Blue or Black Ink.

(d) The completed application form (Part-A & Part-B) must be submitted in DUPLICATE to the Consulate. You must also submit TWO (2) FRONT FACE PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS IN COLOR, but with WHITE BACKGROUND. Each photograph should be of (SIZE 2" inches X 2" inches). One ORIGINAL photograph must be pasted to each copy of your application.
Please Note: DO NOT STAPLE photograph to the OCI Application form.

(e) At the end of Part-B, a list of Documents that may be required at the time you submit your OCI application form. Please ensure that copy of your passport is notarized by local notary public.

Please Note: ALL DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED IN DUPLICATE.

(f) Application fee for OCI is US $275(per applicant) + a separate fee of US $15 for return mailing charges).
For PIO Card Holders, the fee for OCI is US $25(per applicant) + a separate fee of US $15 for return mailing charges).
One mailing fee of US $15 is applicable for the entire family.
Fee will ONLY be accepted through MONEY ORDERS & CERTIFIED/CASHIERS CHECKS in favor of Consulate General of India, San Francisco.
CASH and Personal Checks WILL NOT be accepted.

(g) You can mail your application and all required enclosures to:

OCI Cell
Consulate General of India
540 Arguello Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94118.

NOTE FOR PIO CARD HOLDERS:

(i) You are required to surrender your PIO Card in order to receive an OCI Card.

(ii) You MUST SUBMIT a notarized copy of your PIO Card WITH your OCI application.

Web-site

I did manage to get in. However, USA-SF consulate does not show in the "place of submission" drop down menu. Infact the drop down menu seems to be truncated. if I type USA, I get USA-Chicago but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to say USA-SF (or similar). Sigh....

Rajax said:
After all the wait.

for the life of me cant understand why they had to centralize a website knowing well they are gonna screwww up....

no wonder the site is down today. we "latecomers" (and its only monday morning phx time) can't get to the forms.

boggavarapu,
What you are saying makes no sense.You are as good as a fresh applicant.Your application has not been processed yet.They cant say that you are an 'old' applicant.Then they should follow the 'old' law and give you an old OIC (which was closer to dual citizenship) !

Talk to them again.If the answer is the same,talk to them about withdrawing your application and then re-apply.Even if they take the processing fee you will still save a lot of money.

But be sure that withdrawing the app has no consequences (like being unable to apply again).

mangal969 said:
boggavarapu,
What you are saying makes no sense.You are as good as a fresh applicant.Your application has not been processed yet.They cant say that you are an 'old' applicant.Then they should follow the 'old' law and give you an old OIC (which was closer to dual citizenship) !

Talk to them again.If the answer is the same,talk to them about withdrawing your application and then re-apply.Even if they take the processing fee you will still save a lot of money.

But be sure that withdrawing the app has no consequences (like being unable to apply again).

Mangal, Thanks for the feedback.

The Consulate informs me that I cannot withdraw the application at this stage. My OIC documents should follow very soon.

They also say that when I applied during November 2004, there was no provision for a subsidized fee for a PIO Card holder. Everyone had to pay the same fee. It was only later on, the fee structure was changed.

According to them, my application was already processed by the Consulate immediately during 2004 and it was dispatched to India where the delay took place. Consulate says it has no instructions from GOI for any refund to be issued to the old applicants like myself!

However, they are happy to know if I want to take up this matter further with the Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs. The Consulate says that they are helpless otherwise. They simply follow the instructions from GOI!!

Would appreciate any further feedback.

OCI Forms PArt A and Part B

Romit,

great!
so is the Online registration form same as the one found here?

http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/OCIForm.pdf

thanks..
Raja

Last edited by a moderator:
Rajax said:
Romit,

great!
so is the Online registration form same as the one found here?

http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/OCIForm.pdf

thanks..
Raja

Yup, they are exactly same except after filing up the form online when it prints, it had a little image right below the signature box which does not come up but you could tell there was an image. I tried to fill in twice and same thing happened both times. That's why I compared with the PDF. I am not worried about it at all.

It was 3.5 x 3.5 cm yesterday ... but those cheeky blokes have changed it now to read 2" x 2" :rolleyes:

"
(d) The completed application form (Part-A & Part-B) must be submitted in DUPLICATE to the Consulate. You must also submit TWO (2) FRONT FACE PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS IN COLOR, but with WHITE BACKGROUND. Each photograph should be of (SIZE 2" inches X 2" inches). One ORIGINAL photograph must be pasted to each copy of your application.
"

It is still *2* photos/individual ... I don't know where folks are getting info re: "5 photos/individual"

Cheers!

PIO1 said:
Every consulate except SF says:

2 copies of 3.5s for each individual, whether they are a part of a family, couple or single applicants.

The way I read SF's requirement is they said besides the primary applicant's photo, they require 3 more (spouse, 2 kids) for each application - and there are two application forms. I.e. 2 lots of 4 photos. Each photo is attached to the form. I normally clip it and write my name on the back and sign, let the consulated afix it if they require. In terms of the stamp size, they really don't care about the size so much, and were just being loose with the requirements. 3.5 cm is safest though.

Go ahead and check with CGSF but this is what common sense says.

http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp

HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error

type Exception report

message Internal Server Error

description The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server Error) that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:246)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:289)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:240)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:260)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2397)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:171)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.process(Ajp13Processor.java:458)
at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:551)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.jsp.OnlineOCIRegistrationG_jsp._jspService(OnlineOCIRegistrationG_jsp.java:103)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:136)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:202)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:289)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:240)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:260)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2397)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:171)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.process(Ajp13Processor.java:458)
at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:551)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Apache Tomcat/4.1.10

Number of Photos

Malgudi,

The wording is not a 100% clear but because they say in one place that "photos should be pasted" and at another "submit 2 photos as part of documentation" (I am paraphrasing), one could take it to mean that 4 photos per applicant are needed : 2 pasted and 2 not.

Since it seems that we will be given some kind of OCI card (besides the visa), it does make sense that they would want more photogaphs than those which are pasted. (But then again they could simply scan the photos on the application....)

I am going to send in 4 just to be safe.

malgudi said:
It was 3.5 x 3.5 cm yesterday ... but those cheeky blokes have changed it now to read 2" x 2" :rolleyes:

"
"

It is still *2* photos/individual ... I don't know where folks are getting info re: "5 photos/individual"

Cheers!

boggavarapu said:
I contacted the Consulate in the USA. I was informed that the pending applications will be dealt with priority.

No refund permissible as such for the PIO Card holders who already applied in 2004 paying the full fee.

Reduced fee of $25.00 applies to only fresh applicants who are already PIO Card holders!

I feel very disheartened with the whole situation. I would have saved about $1000 (on the four OCI applications) if I had only waited until the scheme has been launched. With lot of enthusiasm, I applied in the early days and learnt my lesson once again :mad: :mad:

I have now written a letter to the Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs explaining the situation and see if he can help to get the refund in any way. I very much doubt any positive outcome. :mad: :mad:

I wonder if there is anything else I can really do in this matter? I would appreciate any further suggestions. Thanks.

I would write to the Prime Ministers office. You should send them a letter (not an email). I am 100% sure that you will get an answer back and it will be investigated/

romit said:
Yup, they are exactly same except after filing up the form online when it prints, it had a little image right below the signature box which does not come up but you could tell there was an image. I tried to fill in twice and same thing happened both times. That's why I compared with the PDF. I am not worried about it at all.

The only other thing with the online registration is that you get a file no /reference no (USANIxxxxxxxxxx).That may be an expiditing factor.The picture as far as i know was supposed to be a bar code.

mangal969 said:
boggavarapu,

You cannot withdraw the application. My local embassy informed me last time that as per the provisions, the application fees is only refunded if your applciation is rejected. Since it is still in process it does not have the status of 'rejection' so no money is refundable.

But you should try and speak to the consulate general or ambassador and explain him the whole story. They are generally IFS officers and have much more logic than the babus.

malgudi said:

2" x 2" ... that is one big postage stamp! Now they are going crazy.

I know you guys are keen to kiss your $275 money goodbye on an over hyped visa (who am I to talk, I did the same in Nov '04 ;)) but all this - the bugs with the site, the photo mix up, them changing their web site on a daily basis, breaking Indian privacy laws, and the fact that no one really has a clue, should indicate that they have not got the modalities figured out.

NOT ONE *REAL* OCI HAS BEEN ISSUED YET.

That OCI they issued to Aishwarya's cousin was a Bollywood style special effect scene, done with digital animation.

If you can hold back, please don't encourage the consulates to take any more of our money, until they at least do one real OCI v2.

mangal969 said:
The only other thing with the online registration is that you get a file no /reference no (USANIxxxxxxxxxx).That may be an expiditing factor.The picture as far as i know was supposed to be a bar code.
I know how these guys work - it will probably slow it down because a clerk needs to cross reference your application with the online record - one more step. If the guy who does this is away or the database is corrupt, could slow you down months ;)