India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
qwert97 said:
This policy does not say anything about the applicants who had made an application under the previous scheme.

I understand through reliable sources that the previously made applications will be processed automatically once the scheme becomes
operational on Nov 14, 05.

People who have already applied need not apply again.....but i would ask the embassy if they can ignore the old application and accept a new one instead.Might make the process faster.The old process required the forms to be sent to India and the new one is to be handled locally.So if the forms are already in India and have to be sent back may delay the whole thing.

None of the embassies in the US have the updated information.Somehow they have always lagged behind.I hope this is not the case here.

Oci

mangal969 said:
People who have already applied need not apply again.....but i would ask the embassy if they can ignore the old application and accept a new one instead.Might make the process faster.The old process required the forms to be sent to India and the new one is to be handled locally.So if the forms are already in India and have to be sent back may delay the whole thing.

None of the embassies in the US have the updated information.Somehow they have always lagged behind.I hope this is not the case here.

Those applications were submitted in triplicate. I assume only one copy was sent to India. So theoratically the embassy should have retained two copies of the application forms. As per the new process only the applications need to be submitted in duplicate. So hopefully we are at par with the new applicants. No updates in Canada as well. Normally the consulate general in Toronto is pretty good. I expect their website to be updated latest by tomorrow.

Dear Board members,

I wish to apply for OCI along with my wife and my young baby.

Do i need to pay 3 times US$ 275 for this application ?
Even for young babies the fees is same?

Thanks
Negs

negs said:
Dear Board members,

Thanks
Negs

That is correct. You need to pay US$ 275 X3 for your applciation.

negs said:
Dear Board members,

Thanks
Negs

When OCI becomes operational, you may apply for OCI for you and your wife at $275 each and get your baby a PIO card for $155 for now, and turn around and upgrade that to OCI for just an additional $25.

Bottomline, PIO card is far cheaper for children @ $155 each. Add another $25 to upgrade from PIO to OCI for a child, you only spend $180 + little bit more for postage. Getting a child OCI will cost $275.

Great Indian bureaucray at work...

:mad: This is now nothing but gross incompetence now.only 2 embassies have the information and are in a position to start :mad:

mangal969 said:
:mad: This is now nothing but gross incompetence now.only 2 embassies have the information and are in a position to start :mad:

Which is the second embassy?

(I am aware that Wellington has it )

Thanks.

Oic

mangal969 said:

I do not have a good feeling about this. The Consulate General in Toronto has not replied to any of my email messages concerning OIC.

Called High Commission in London just now - the answer is we don't have any update on the scheme. :mad: :confused: :(

Oic

I think none of the embassies will update the information until Ministry of home affairs updates their website.

fitness99 said:
http://indiagov.org/

Indian embassy in Washington D.C put up a one sentence alert saying that the OIC registration will begin from November 14, 2005. I guess we just have to wait and see...

I am sure the Scheme will become operational with effect from
Nov.14, 05. We should know more during the next week!

I remember having read somewhere that as per the OIC rules one is not deprived of Indian citizenship status if one applies for OIC within six months of getting another citizenship. Is this true ?

basis said:
I remember having read somewhere that as per the OIC rules one is not deprived of Indian citizenship status if one applies for OIC within six months of getting another citizenship. Is this true ?

You will lose your Indian citizenship after 6 months, regardless, whether you apply for OIC or not. The 6 months is just to give you time to move to a U visa, and perhaps avoid the incovenience of having to get a short-term visa to visit India, if the need arises. There isn't any way that you can continue on as a regular Indian citizen after that 6-month period is over, no matter what you do or not do.

Thanks for the info. But at least one won't loose the Indian citizenship for six months - is that correct ?

basis said:
Thanks for the info. But at least one won't loose the Indian citizenship for six months - is that correct ?

That's my understanding, but based only on the posts earlier on this thread. If it's really important to you, you should check this out with someone who should know, like your nearest Indian embassy, or perhaps the Home Ministry in India.