India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
India 27th October, 2005

Overseas Citizenship of India scheme for NRIs

The Central government scheme of Overseas Citizenship of India that provide visa free entry into India for NRIs as well as PIOs except those belonging to Pakistan, Bangladesh will be introduced from November 14.

The scheme was announced by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2005 in January. This scheme would benefit around 25 million NRIs world wide to have a hassle free entry to their motherland. As per Union minister of State in PMO, the processing of application would take one or two months for cards to be issued.

Source:http://www.namasthenri.com/snippets/27102005.htm

Isnt it "illegal" for the process to take "one or two months" when the rules clearly have 2 fixed time frames-one of two weeks (for normal applications) and the other of 90 days (for special cases) ???

mangal969 said:
I think this question can be answered only by the employer's legal department.But from what i can see why would there be any change in X's employment status ?What has citizenship got to do with your employment status ?And if X's status changes on loss of Indian citizenship then why does it change again on getting a PIO card ?
The only change that can occur is for the company.They would have a foreigner employed as of Ist November and that would be it's only change.
Wishing all the readers of this forum a very happy diwali and a prosperous new year,hopefully one which will see the initiation of OCI :)

Thanks for the response. Are there any rules that Indian companies cannot employe foreigners without following certain processes, rules, declarations that anyone knows of here. How does this affect the Income Tax status, Provident Fund rules etc.

boggavarapu said:
Hi Mangal 969,

I dont see your message here !

Funny I had written a message to our new British citizen friend (basis) advising him that he'd be better off contacting his company's legal department or a CA/lawyer from india because his situation is very specific.The 'rules' vary from company to company and contract to contract.It's more a matter of policy and situation than rules.
Looked at the OCI form....fairly straightforward probably even a child can fill it out.Only thing that has me worried is the proof of relationship.I guess we will see what happens about that soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
mangal969 said:
Funny I had written a message to our new British citizen friend (basis) advising him that he'd be better off contacting his company's legal department or a CA/lawyer from india because his situation is very specific.The 'rules' vary from company to company and contract to contract.It's more a matter of policy and situation than rules.
Looked at the OCI form....fairly straightforward probably even a child can fill it out.Only thing that has me worried is the proof of relationship.I guess we will see what happens about that soon enough.

Thanks

resumption

boggavarapu said:
Thanks for the uptodate information. It looks like it will happen this time!!

More than once we have come so close to the resumption of Dual/ OIC. I am still sckeptical about it. I have to see it with my own eyes to believe it. I have lost all faith in Indian babus!

The link posted in #446 does not exist anymore (removed?) on the indiannewslink website. Also, the Indian Consulate in NZ has posted a warning on their website that a certain website in NZ has been giving wrong information. Wonder if they refer to the indiannewslink website.

Now, does it mean that OCI is not going to happen on Nov 14th? There has been no official move so far. So, as many have pointed out, it may be one more false alarm. :confused:

The Indian government has been dancing with this for a long time (as you can see from the discussion in this thread). Don't get your hopes up for Nov 14, 2005, until you see consulates/embassies accepting OCI applications and handing out the life long visa sticker for your passport.

fitness99 said:
The Indian government has been dancing with this for a long time (as you can see from the discussion in this thread). Don't get your hopes up for Nov 14, 2005, until you see consulates/embassies accepting OCI applications and handing out the life long visa sticker for your passport.

I feel exactly the same way. Wait until you see some thing in writing until then you have nothing. Finally, until the consulate start issuing something, then see exactly that is and what it's worth. We all have been led this path for a long time and nothing has happend. Wait till you see the liflong visa sticker....confused as OCI, before feeling too good about it.

sg_orl said:
I feel exactly the same way. Wait until you see some thing in writing until then you have nothing. Finally, until the consulate start issuing something, then see exactly that is and what it's worth. We all have been led this path for a long time and nothing has happend. Wait till you see the liflong visa sticker....confused as OCI, before feeling too good about it.

The following weblink gives information that OCI will be operational from Mid November 2005:

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/10/28/stories/2005102801660200.htm

There are a handful of websites that carry this same interview with the same person that OCI will start in mid-November.If it is to start by the 14th,then I'm sure the embassy and MHA websites will have the necessary information by the middle of next week.

Today was Eid, and then there is the weekend.We should know for sure by next week if this mid November thing is true.

The New Zealand's embassies posting about a site carrying fake information is intriguing.If the information is false,shouldn't they be mentioning the site by name ? Why would anyone bother to put up a fake form when the real one is already at mha.nic.in,available for anyone to view download and print for free ?

Looks like they are getting to many inquiries and just do not want to reply to e-mails/phone calls regarding OCI hence they are covering up like this by declaring "some" site to be false...And all the while being blissfully unaware that the MHA has already put up the new procedure forms and brochure months ago,Ask them this and they say they have no information...cant they just go to the site (like anyone else) and read it ?

Generally I agree with sg_orl and fitness99 the proof of the pudding is in the tasting.Let the government officially announce the initiation of OCI.As regards "what you get" that information is already available on the MHA web site.So you can know now exactly what it is you are going to get while applying for an OCI.

From indiansinkuwait.com:
Nearly 2,000 NRIs to attend diaspora conclave

About 2,000 non-resident Indians (NRIs) are expected to attend the fourth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, or the fourth annual conclave of the Indian diaspora, to be held from January 7-9 next year.

Minister of State in Prime Minister's Office Prithviraj Chavan, who was in the state capital to review arrangements for the conclave that connects the 20-million- strong diaspora spread across 110 countries, expressed satisfaction over the progress of work.

He discussed and reviewed the arrangements with Chief Minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy on late Wednesday.

Chavan told newspersons that the Centre would launch the Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) scheme next month that would provide life-long visa to persons of Indian origin (PIOs) to visit India at will.

Under the scheme, PIOs holding foreign passports, barring those from Pakistan and Bangladesh, can visit India whenever they want. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had announced the scheme during the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in January this year.

Chavan hinted that the scheme could be launched from November 14. The application forms will be issued and accepted from that day. They will be processed in a month or two and the cards will be issued subsequently.

The Minister said that some 2,000 NRIs and 1,000 delegates from India would attend the meet, jointly organised by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA), the Andhra Pradesh government and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).

He said the website www.pbd.gov.in, outlining details of the event and providing online registration of delegates, would be launched by November 1. The website will also have details about flight connectivity to Hyderabad, description of the sites of tourist interest and tourism packages.

The conclave is held every year to mark the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa on January 9, 1915, after a successfully fighting for the rights of the coloured minorities.

Chavan visited International Convention Centre, being constructed in the premises of Hyderabad International Trade Exhibition (HITEX) in Madhapur.

The 4,000 capacity convention centre, the largest such venue in India and being built by Dubai-based Emmar Properties, will be the venue for the inaugural and valedictory sessions of the three-day convention.

Manmohan Singh will inaugurate the conference on January 7 and President APJ Abdul Kalam will address the valedictory session and honour 15 eminent overseas Indians with the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman.

The adjacent HITEX will host an India trade and industrial exhibition in which several states as well as private exhibitors will take part. The plenary session and business conferences will be held at Shilpakala Vedika near HITEC City, which houses many multinational and national IT giants.

The nearby Shilparamam crafts village will be the venue for a cultural exhibition to showcase the arts and crafts of various states.

Since entertainment programmes at this year's conclave in Mumbai were cancelled due to last ear's tsunami, the organisers have planned a grand show this time around.

The MOIA has invited groups of diaspora youth to join in the cultural event on the inaugural evening under the theme "Dialogue of Cultures" to interact with artistes from India. An internship programme for diaspora youth is also planned.
-"Hindustan Times"

The same article has been published by the Hindustan Times,News India times and IACPA.They all mention the November 14th date.

Chavan hinted that the scheme could be launched from November 14. The application forms will be issued and accepted from that day. They will be processed in a month or two and the cards will be issued subsequently.

We would have been happy if he had said "will be" instead of "could be".

Thanks for the link guys.

bunny007 said:
http://www.hicomind.org.nz/OCI.htm ?

So does this mean its official now ?

Yes, the above link confirms that OCI becomes operational from November 14, 2005. In the next day or two, all the other Indian Embassies/High Commissions/Consulates abroad should show the same details on their websites as well. The following are the details:

HIGH COMMISSION OF INDIA
WELLINGTON

GRANT OF OVERSEAS CITIZENSHIP OF INDIA - August 30, 2005

The Prime Minister in The Pravasi Bhartiya Divas, 2005 made a statement to extend the facility of Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) to Persons of Indian origin (PIOs) of all countries beyond the 16 mentioned in the Fourth Schedule of Citizenship Act, 1955. The Prime Minister stated that the application form and format of the citizenship certificate would be simplified and the benefits available to OCIs would be properly specified. This scheme is operation with effect from November 14, 2005.

ELIGIBILITY

BENEFITS

PROCEDURE

APPLICATION FORM

This policy does not say anything about the applicants who had made an application under the previous scheme.