India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
db2004 said:
Since everything is ready I wonder why the delay. Its really maddening to see the way we are treated in the police stations in India, waiting in line for papers to be processed. As if we are criminals who need to be watched and controlled.

DB

Everyone is echoing the same sentiment.There is just no logical reason for the scheme not to begin.

About the police station,let me tell you for a fact that things are a little bit different now then they were 5 years ago.Instead of a paan spitting slouch you met a courteous well dressed person who can actually speak in english :D
The process is as silly and ,in a word,ludicrous,but atleast the pain of talking to a half deaf police officer who doesnt understand a word of what you say has been done away with.This was atleast my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an e-mail from someone that the Indian commission in New zealand has put up a date of 27th October for receiving OIC applications.

I went on the site and was pretty excited until i realised the date was 27th October 2004 and it was the old form of OIC :(

Someone should show our beloved PM exactly how slow the wheels of the legislature turn in India.It will be almost a year and they have done nothing.

when are they

If MHA is going to open the OIC in November, shouldn't the gazette notification go out soon regarding the process? I have a gut feeling that it will be delayed further.

qwert97 said:
If MHA is going to open the OIC in November, shouldn't the gazette notification go out soon regarding the process? I have a gut feeling that it will be delayed further.

What would they need a gazette notification for ? The form rules and procedures are already notified as far as I know.That is why they are there on the MHA website.The only step remaining is to inform the embassies/missions and get the procedure started.

Also if there is a gazette notification there is no way we can confirm.The embassies information is woefully outdated and there is no gazette web site.

Hopefully the governement wont decide to wait for PBD 2006 to start the process.There must be some timeframe for implementation of a law by the government and there must be pressure from other quarters to ensure proper and quick implementation.I think it may start around Diwali or ramzan.Luckily the procedure can be done by post so no need to run to the embassy.

The only thing we can do is wait :mad: :( :confused:

New Website for Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs

The following link leads to the new web site of Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs:

http://moia.gov.in/showinfo1.asp?linkid=204

The Home page gives more upto date details on the launch of OIC scheme etc. Also there is a lot of other interesting information re. overseas Indians.

I think OIC is most likely to be operational from November 2005 !!

boggavarapu said:
The following link leads to the new web site of Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs:

http://moia.gov.in/showinfo1.asp?linkid=204

The Home page gives more upto date details on the launch of OIC scheme etc. Also there is a lot of other interesting information re. overseas Indians.

I think OIC is most likely to be operational from November 2005 !!

The website states that Government expects to launch this scheme in October 2005. Clearly that is not going to happen :mad:

qwert97 said:
The website states that Government expects to launch this scheme in October 2005. Clearly that is not going to happen :mad:

You clearly have forgotten how the bureaucracy works back in India :D

When they "expect" "hope" or "desire",it means they still havent done anything in that regard :p

When their time frame comes to an end they suddenly feel pressured and then actually start working ! ! !

Who knows there are still 12 days left in October there may be a miracle just yet :eek: :eek: ;)

A suggestion:Maybe all of us should send a nice fat "ghoos"/diwali "gift" to the officer in the MHA responsible for starting OIC....maybe that will get things started

Nothing is going to happen this month friends. I called the office of 'The Secretary to overseas Indian affairs' yesterday and told them (i dont think the phone was answered by The secretary-but the person on the phone was very polite) that I have applied for the OIC in November last year. I told him that I am visiting India next month, and will I be getting something before that? He told me please don't wait for the OIC, take a visit visa. He also told me they are planing to start it next month but it will take some time to grant the OIC even to the old applicants.
So off I go for a VISIT VISA now.

I would agree with what the "secretary" told you....Even if they start receiving and processing applications in the second week of November (1st week being Diwali),the time it would take to process would mean that you'd get your visa by the first week of december.And since you have submitted your app before it would be processed in India or sent back here which would mean even more time.
But i would suggest you take the cheapest visa available (probably single entry tourist) as any other visa would be a waste of your money (if you are still interested in OIC)

Oic

mangal969 said:
I would agree with what the "secretary" told you....Even if they start receiving and processing applications in the second week of November (1st week being Diwali),the time it would take to process would mean that you'd get your visa by the first week of december.And since you have submitted your app before it would be processed in India or sent back here which would mean even more time.
But i would suggest you take the cheapest visa available (probably single entry tourist) as any other visa would be a waste of your money (if you are still interested in OIC)

I agree with mangal that the wheels of Indian bureaucracy turn very slowly. I am under the impression from the local embassy that nothing was sent back to India for all applications that were submitted previously so they will be processed first once the scheme opens. Frankly I do not believe them and I have stopped taking anything on the face value.

mangal969 said:

When OIC becomes available, we will know what exactly it really offers. Based on what we know today from the contradictory mis/information, OIC offers just a little bit of value to someone who wants to stay in India for a long time, i.e. > 6 months, or work in India. Other than that, I think right now 10 yrs tourist visa at $150 is the way to go.

I can bet you even if the Indian bureaucrats start the OIC in a few months, they will keep on tweaking it in the next few years to collect more money. Unless someone has an immediate need to get the OIC, I would wait and let it play itself out and then think about it.

sg_orl said:
When OIC becomes available, we will know what exactly it really offers. Based on what we know today from the contradictory mis/information, OIC offers just a little bit of value to someone who wants to stay in India for a long time, i.e. > 6 months, or work in India. Other than that, I think right now 10 yrs tourist visa at $150 is the way to go.

I can bet you even if the Indian bureaucrats start the OIC in a few months, they will keep on tweaking it in the next few years to collect more money. Unless someone has an immediate need to get the OIC, I would wait and let it play itself out and then think about it.

I guess the only "pressing need" for OIC would be for-
1.those who want to invest in India
2.those who want property in India
3.those who have property in India and legally want to change it to their name
4.Those who have ancestral property and they are to claim legal ownership
5.those who want to stay in India for more than 6 months
6.those who want to work in India
7.those who want Indian citizenship (the full version)
8.those who want to go to India for higher studies (NRI quota)

Bur like i said earlier right now we can only wait .....and wait.......and wait .......

mangal969 said:

Bur like i said earlier right now we can only wait .....and wait.......and wait .......

Thanks for the details. How about if one wants to convert Indian Rupees (by selling the inherited house in India) to US dollars and bring the amount to the USA. Will this be possibly allowed by the Indian Government under OIC Scheme? Would appreciate any comments.

boggavarapu said:
Thanks for the details. How about if one wants to convert Indian Rupees (by selling the inherited house in India) to US dollars and bring the amount to the USA. Will this be possibly allowed by the Indian Government under OIC Scheme? Would appreciate any comments.

You can even do that under the current PIO scheme. However you will have to pay taxes in India (and transfer the money via the NRE account to US dollars).

Hello,

does any one have any info on the effect of OIC on adopting indian child. will the OIC holders be treated on par with indians regarding adoption or they will be treated on par with foreigners

thanks

mangal969 said:

My point is you can do most of these things with the PIO card except for #5 and #7 on your list. For #5 OIC only eliminates the hassel of registration with the authorities. More fundamental question is why does India need these types of bureaucratic formailities in the first place, specially when comes to encouraging the investment and increasing the inflow of NRIs and PIOs. I guess that's too much to expect from the Indian bureaucrats as it erodes their so called power!

vlmeda said:
Hello,

does any one have any info on the effect of OIC on adopting indian child. will the OIC holders be treated on par with indians regarding adoption or they will be treated on par with foreigners

thanks

OIC information posted so far is silent on this issue. India changed the international adoption guidelines in October 2003. With the new CARA guidelines, Indians living in India have the 1st priority, NRIs with both husband and wife from India, have the 2nd priority, NRIs with one of either husband or wife from India, have the 3rd priority, and completely foreign couples have the 4th prioity.

There have been rumors, but nothing final yet, to allow at least the NRIs with Indian citizenship, i.e. green card holders, to be treated on par with Indian citizens living in India. So if either spouse retains an Indian passport, they may get a preferential treatment when it comes to international adoptions. But these are JUST THE RUMORS at the moment and have been circulating for the last year or so. Until it get written up, approved, and implemented, they are JUST THE RUMORS.

Anyone got the OIC Card?

I applied OIC for my child in Jan '05 and still waiting. When i call the chicago indian embassy they say no idea on the status. WHAT TO DO? whom to contact? Pls suggest.

visa_question said:
I applied OIC for my child in Jan '05 and still waiting. When i call the chicago indian embassy they say no idea on the status. WHAT TO DO? whom to contact? Pls suggest.

There is no need or purpose to contact anyone until the governement initiates the OIC procedure.As per information available now the older applications will be processed.
You should call the consulate after there is an announcement that OIC registration has begun

sg_orl said:
My point is you can do most of these things with the PIO card except for #5 and #7 on your list. For #5 OIC only eliminates the hassel of registration with the authorities. More fundamental question is why does India need these types of bureaucratic formailities in the first place, specially when comes to encouraging the investment and increasing the inflow of NRIs and PIOs. I guess that's too much to expect from the Indian bureaucrats as it erodes their so called power!

The biggest advantages of OIC over PIO i guess would it's lifelong validity and lower cost.

As for the second part of your letter i guess our babus need something to do otherwise how would they earn their "daily bread" (and i'm not referring to the government salary) :D Keeping such procedures in place ensures the babus get their share of the pie.