India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Food for thought:

Did you ever notice how politicians and their groupies are suddenly everywhere so eager to help out right before the elections...and disappear completely right after the elections?? :(

Not to make this poltical..but would u rather have somebody who makes a WRONG decision and then sticks to it no matter what..or a person who actually thinks over the decisions they made and try to learn from it.....

anyways...how come u guys are only to be seen on the citizenship forum...while u r at it....why not help the permanent residents so desperate to be with their family.....ahh but wait..they can't vote!!! :rolleyes:

Rs. 12,500 is actually not that bad...comes to $250-300...

Like other ppl posted, I just wonder how long it will actually take to get the process up and running...

Also - non sequitor - in the original article there was a question:

There were reports that NRIs in the US have to pay taxes that are meant for retirement benefits. But many NRIs don't stay in the US for long, hence they lose thousands of dollars every year. How do you plan to tackle this?

What do they mean, can someone help me out - I am pretty illiterate when it
comes to these things...

Last edited by a moderator:
ratrat said:
Rs. 12,500 is actually not that bad...comes to $250-300...

Yup its not too bad. !! actually it is pretty good :)

ratrat said:
Like other ppl posted, I just wonder how long it will actually take to get the process up and running...

Everything takes time, patience. Dont blame govt always, how long does it take for one to get GC or name check cleared in USA ? inefficiences exist everythwhere -- dont be so critical. IMHO

ratrat said:
There were reports that NRIs in the US have to pay taxes that are meant for retirement benefits. But many NRIs don't stay in the US for long, hence they lose thousands of dollars every year. How do you plan to tackle this?

What do they mean, can someone help me out - I am pretty illiterate when it
comes to these things...

I think this refers to ur 401k money, if you have say 50K in 401k and leave for good to India, it will not be taxed in US till you withdraw it,
but now will be taxed on any profit in India, you can avoid paying taxes for 2 yrs I think.. dont have all details.

If anybody has more details, please post.

My guess is that the taxes meant for retirement benefits are the social security taxes, the benefits of which cannot be availed if you do not get the necessary minimum 40 credits (~10 years of working).

IMO this is just a glorified PIO. Cant Vote or hold any govt job (not that you are going to) etc.

Also article says "A PIO would enjoy all rights of an Indian citizen, except the right to employment in government service and exercising franchise or holding a constitutional post and he/she cannot vote".

Rahul Kumar said:
IMO this is just a glorified PIO. Cant Vote or hold any govt job (not that you are going to) etc.

Also article says "A PIO would enjoy all rights of an Indian citizen, except the right to employment in government service and exercising franchise or holding a constitutional post and he/she cannot vote".

:)
I wonder how many PIO's will file for OIC. I am not sure if they will get the turn out they are looking for! Personally I am going to stick with a PIO card, and not worry about the OIC.

VaniSundaram said:
why does any1 want to be india's citizen after u.s. citizenship............

there is no advantage...... only disadvantage.

Thats every persons opinion ! Lots of people want to move back to India
to raise their kids, better job growth in tech sector (these days) etc, stay with older parents etc etc, every one has their reasons.

Im suprised to see so must "hate" towards indian citizenship by you.

Received PIO Card

Howdy - I received my PIO card yesterday. It took exactly 3 weeks for processing (Houston Consulate). I am just sticking with a PIO card :)

fitness99,

What docs did you have to send in to get a PIO? Is a PIO like a GC (a plastic card) or a stamp or a book like a re-entry?

Rahul Kumar said:
fitness99,

What docs did you have to send in to get a PIO? Is a PIO like a GC (a plastic card) or a stamp or a book like a re-entry?

Rahul - It is a 6 page sand colored booklet (same dimension as a passport), except it says "Person Of Indian Origin Card" on the top instead of Passport.

Documents Submitted:
Original Indian passport
Copy of the first four pages of the Indian passport (I know they can make copies, but they asked for it!)
Copy of the first four pages of my U.S. Passport
4 Passport photographs
Cashiers check for processing $315.00 + Fedex return fee $15.00 (single check)
Cover letter requesting the PIO based on my former Indian passport
PIO application filled in duplicate​

BTW they will cancel your Indian passport and send it back to you along with the PIO card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot. But if takes 3 weeks then I may have to go with a visitor visa for now and hope for OIC.

All the best

dual

dsfgh100 said:
Anyone with a US passport could see for themselves.. Printed in the passport is very clearly stated that Dual citizens in their "other country" will not recieve US consular help. Which means, if you are in India, and due to any emergency there is an evacuation in India (natural disasters, terrorism, any other reason), then Dual citizens would be under the responsibility of Indian Government for protection.

Note its says only if you are in the "other country". If you are travelling to say europe and have a problem and need help US govt will help you. Ofcourse natural disasters/wars etc can happen and you can be in India and you may want help, too rare IMHO.

dsfgh100 said:
Also, the Oath of Allegiance taken when becoming US citizen clearly says "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen". How could someone with a clear moral foundation, take that oath and turn around to take same/similar oath to another country? What if US is at war with India, which country would the Dual citizen take up arms to defend?

The problems with Dual citizenship are not legal in nature, but they are certainly logistical and moral quandaries.

If there were logistical problem US govt would not allow dual citizenship, that is the reason The Indian law ministry is clearing up things and it is taking is time, patience everyone.

If the dual citizenship was not helpful, NRI would not be lobbying for it, and Indian govt will not offer it, the fact is people like the idea and will apply :)