India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In most cases, Dual Citizens (while in India for instance) visit the country temporarily and wound not need major consular help. And if they move to India for good, there is no question of getting US Govt Help.

There is nothing illegal or immoral in acquiring Dual CZ. There are hundred's of thousands of Canadian American dual CZ's and also Euro-Americans with 2 nationalities.

Of course if you have dual CZ with an "axis of evil" state , then there may some questions to answer.

Neither the constituion or federal law prohibit Dual CZ. If a friendly country considers you a Citizen , then good for you!

When reacquiring Citizenship in the land where you were born and where your roots are one must not worry about which government would come to his/her aid in case he/she is arrested. Trivial. Very Trivial. And even in such a case the US govt can only provide limited support, as it should be.

While its possible Indian foreign (dual) citizens may be subject to certain taxes , they also benefit from NRI investment zones with special privilidges and competitive investment incentives.

Any self respecting immigrant would want to retain their cultural identity. Regaining a lost citizenship goes a long way toward this dream.

As fitness99's link to the State Dept Website there is no real disadvantage in reacquiring OIC from India.

Thanks to the Vajpayee/Manmohan Governments for recognizing the need of NRI's

Go Desh!

Last edited by a moderator:
While I can see you have replied, I cant see its contents as you are still in my ignore list...!

anyway, we have established there is nothing illegal with dual cz
there is nothing immoral with dual cz also, especially when the country you are reacquiring your cz has always been at peace with US

Rules have been made

Interesting Development. I am curious what happens to those who have a PIO.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1040823/asp/nation/story_3662268.asp
-----------
Dual citizenship, for select 16
ALOKE TIKKU
New Delhi, Aug. 22: Foreign citizens of Indian origin in 16 countries can finally get an Indian citizenship, too, at a price close to that of the People of Indian Origin card.

On July 19, the Centre notified the second set of rules that prescribed the fee for the registration of “Overseas Citizenship”, thus allowing the processing of applications.

The first notification was made in March to declare the application process for dual citizenship. But it was kept under wraps apparently for fear of a flood of applications before officials were clear about what to do with them.

Even now, the website of the Indian embassy in the US says the fee and procedures are yet to be determined.

The privilege has been extended to only the US, the UK, Australia, Canada, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, the Republic of Cyprus, Sweden and Switzerland.

Once registered, the “overseas citizens” will enjoy all rights of Indian citizens except the right to equality in public employment and the right to vote or be appointed to a constitutional office.

They will get an overseas Indian passport and not require visas to India. They can also buy property and enjoy parity with non-resident Indians in facilities available in the economic, financial and educational fields.

Indians will also not automatically cease to be citizens of India if they avail of the latest scheme within six months of acquiring citizenship of any of the 16 specified countries.

The L.M. Singhvi committee on the Indian diaspora had backed demands for dual citizenship, which was allowed in December through an amendment to the citizenship act. The issue had also figured prominently at the first Pravasi Bharatiya Divas last January.

In limiting the benefits accruing to Indians who had renounced their Indian citizenship, the government has argued that the principal rationale for their demand was sentimental and psychological.

Broadly, officials concede that the benefits to “overseas citizens” were largely available under the PIO card that was floated in 1999 and revamped in 2002 but never really took off. “There are only marginal differences,” a government official said.

The revamp to the not-so-popular PIO scheme had slashed charges for a 15-year card from $1,000 (roughly Rs 46,000 at current exchange rate) to Rs 15,000 for adults and Rs 7,500 for minors. The charges were mentioned in rupees after the revamp.

The “overseas citizenship” certificate, however, will cost $275 (Rs 12,650) for adults and minors, up from the initial proposal of $100.

Those who surrender their “overseas citizenship” will be charged $25 (Rs 1,150) as processing fee.

The latest notification has also hiked the fee for registering foreign nationals as Indian citizens — in some cases by as much as 20 times. Instead of Rs 500, foreigners marrying Indians will have to pay Rs 10,000-15,000 if they apply abroad for Indian citizenship.

Certificate of naturalisation will cost Rs 15,000 instead of Rs 2,000, and registration of a declaration of intention to resume Indian citizenship or its renunciation will cost Rs 5,000 instead of Rs 500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benefits And Privileges

http://www.indiaday.org/government_policy/dual_citizenship.asp
4. BENEFITS AND PRIVILEGES

a) Issuance of a registration certificate on being granted overseas citizenship.

b) Issuance of an overseas citizen passport

c) No requirement of visa for travel to India (both passports will be required to be presented while traveling to/from India.)

d) No registration formalities for staying in the country.

e) No separate documentation required for admission in colleges/institutions or for taking employment.

^^^ My comment starts
I think if we only have PIO card and go back to India for good.
For admission for children we have to always pay NRI fees not regular fees.
Is this true ?
^^^^my comment ends
f) Parity with non-resident Indian in respect of facilities available to the latter in the economic, financial and educational field. (details separately available)

g) Facilities as available to children of NRIs for obtaining admission to educational institutions in India, including medical colleges, engineering colleges, institute of technology, institute of management etc. under the general category.

h) Facilities under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Govt. and other government agencies.

So its official

In Hindustan Times:

Govt postpones tax on NRI deposits

Hindustantimes.com
New Delhi, August 26

In a major relief to Non-Resident Indians (NRI), Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Thursday announced that provisions to tax NRI deposits have been deferred till April next year.

Through the amendments to the Finance Bill, which the Lok Sabha passed today amidst an opposition boycott, UPA Govt accepted a major demand of the NRI community.

The proposal to tax interest on non-resident Indian deposits was made in the national budget for fiscal 2004-05 presented by Chidambaram on July 8.

Meanwhile, Home Ministry issued a notification yesterday under which people of Indian origin (PIO) can apply for overseas Indian citizenship for a fee of $275.

Of the total fee payable for registration, $25 will be non-refundable, while the rest will be returned in case the application is turned down

Sources in the Home Ministry said that application forms for the citizenship will soon be available on the Govt’s website and also at various Indian missions abroad. Within India, state governments will disburse the forms in their respective states.

To get registered for the citizenship, PIOs will have to produce a documentary proof of their Indian origin.

To facilitate this, the Ministry for NRI Affairs has defined the term `Person of Indian Origin' (PIO). According to the new definition a PIO will mean a citizen of another country who is eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of the commencement of the Constitution or belonged to a territory that became part of India after August 15, 1947.

The facility for procuring dual citizenship has been extended to people of Indian origin living in Australia, Canada, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US.

"To get registered for the citizenship, PIOs will have to produce a documentary proof of their Indian origin."

Columbiaman ..
what sort of documentary proof will the indian governement need ?
If a person already had an indian passport before, then got USA citizenship, shouldn't that original indian passport be sufficient proof..?
or is that new PIO card needed ..?

Thanx guys.. maybe I'm reading too much into this, but is getting a PIO card necessary ? can't you just apply straight for the new Indian passport without a PIO card..?

dimmsimm,

I would assume one need not get a PIO card to get a OIC passport. The links I provided in a different thread (interview with Minister ) mentions some requirements

"dimmsimm,

I would assume one need not get a PIO card to get a OIC passport. The links I provided in a different thread (interview with Minister ) mentions some requirements"

Thank you Rahul.

september

Consulate told a friend of mine that expect forms etc to be available towards end of sept.

Dual citizenship.

So far what I have heard is 1200 rupees, then one news mentioned 100 dollars and the last posting mentions application forms will be availble by end of september.
Any one with any news when dual citizenship applications will be ready?

kmr2,

The fee is approx $275. We all expect OIC to be a reality in 2004 , but until the Indian Embassy starts accepting applications every other news item is hearsay

The two numbers I have heard is $275 or $100 for dual citizenship. I don't think you need to also apply for a PIO card :rolleyes: ...
Ofcourse, these things have not been finalized yet...no official info at the embassies are available.

Cheers!