India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If there is an existing law which grants dual citizenship, then the MEA has no right to sit on applications and thus deny legal citizens of India their rights, as granted by law.

PIL anyone?

I mean, how ridiculous is it for the executive branch to say "we are not implementing the law, because we want to change the law"?

Dual citizenship: Indian embassies still in dark

GG2.NET NEWS [15/03/2005]

THE INDIAN government’s decision to circulate a simplified one-page form to facilitate trouble-free grant of dual citizenship to qualifying members of its 25-million diaspora in 110 countries does not seem to have made much headway.

NRIs desirous of obtaining forms for the same have had to return empty-handed from Indian embassies. According to an NRI who went to enquire about the forms, “At present this facility is on hold and the embassies abroad refuse to give any update on when it will be reinstated. All they say is that the forms will be made simpler and once they get any information regarding this from the Government of India, they will let us know. When I tried to contact the MHA, no one responds! As usual, we are in the dark.”

While it is obvious that circulating the forms will take time, what is riling persons of Indian origin is that the embassies do not seem to have any idea of when the same may be available.

The government decision to provide simplified forms for application for dual citizenship was announced recently. According to S Krishna Kumar, secretary in the ministry of overseas Indian affairs, “The earlier cumbersome procedures for dual citizenship stand withdrawn. We will soon have a vastly simplified, one-page form for applicants. The necessary clearances and notifications for the simplified form are being secured and they will be made available at Indian missions overseas in a couple of months,’ Kumar had said at the time of making the announcement.

X-X-X
I agree with mallusan .Someone should make a serious representation on behalf of all PIO's for them (govt and embassies) to start the procedure immediately (the 3 months in between were NOT a start) and if they dont then someone should seriously work out the details of filing a PIL.I'm sure there would be widespread suport for such a move.

Anone know the e-mail address of the PM and the President :p ???

This is what the government is ignoring

Indian national weighs what would be lost in making formal pledge
Published in the Asbury Park Press 03/15/05
By RICHARD QUINN
STAFF WRITER
Rumu DasGupta is not a U.S. citizen, but she is an American in her mind.

DasGupta grew up in Shillong, a poor town in the eastern arm of India. Her parents were Hindu, but she was educated in a Catholic school before she was sent to public school in New Delhi, the country's capital.

"I'm not a citizen, but in many ways I grew up in this place," DasGupta, who now lives in Freehold Township, says in one of the classrooms at Georgian Court University, where she chairs the sociology department. "When I came to this place, I was 20 years old."

DasGupta, now 54, represents many an immigrant who came to the United States for a reason — hers was following her husband to his job at Louisiana State University — but hadn't planned to stay. Thirty-three years — and three U.S.-born children later — she still has not decided whether to formally pledge her allegiance to this country.

In fact, of the 34 million foreign-born people who now live in the United States, 70 percent are not naturalized as citizens, according to the Urban Institute, a Washington think tank.

DasGupta's family represents both sides of the issue.

Her husband, Anupam, became a citizen in 1984, yet she has been a legal permanent resident since 1978. Anupam, 58, wants his wife to be a citizen with him and their children.

"We've been here such a long time," he says. "Nowadays being a permanent resident, there are certain things you do not have. You do not get the benefits of the law."

But climbing the next rung of the citizenship ladder is a harder decision than one might think.

To be a citizen of the United States, one must first renounce citizenship to another country. A person can later apply for dual citizenship.

DasGupta has trouble giving up, even temporarily, what her father fought to earn.

India declared its freedom from Britain in 1947, and DasGupta's father — a devout follower of Mahatma Gandhi — was a journalist who fought hard to help make that happen. He died in 1960 when a bus he was riding in — the driver was drunk — ran off the road and fell into a ravine.

"He almost gave his life for that country," DasGupta says of her father. "I can't give it up so flippantly."

To abandon her heritage and become a citizen of the United States is a difficult proposition — especially for a political activist who protests what she believes is government abuse.

DasGupta listened as immigration experts spoke of how difficult it can be to become a citizen and import family members. DasGupta's mother still lives in Shillong, and the wait for her to become a citizen — if DasGupta were to naturalize — could still be 20 years.

******(TRUNCATED)**********

This is only an example of what people feel about their Indian heritage.Sadly the government does not look interested in nurturing this.

Will the government please wake up and act ?????

Here is a mail i got in response to a mail i sent to FICCI (www.indiaday.org).Now this isnt exactly a government source so i cant say much on how far true this reply is but am posting it anyways:

Dear Sir,

The process of granting Dual Citizenship had been put on hold as the forms and the process were being revised.This process should be complete by April end. The missions have been accordingly briefed. Please get in touch with the missions around May for updates.

Thanks & regards,

Kirtika
Pravasi Bharatiya Secretariat
FICCI
New Delhi

There was an article in the Hindu that a smart card scheme for PIO's has been approved and will be notified soon. The form too has been reduced to a page and will be available soon.People who have got PIO cards can also apply for smart cards.It will cost around $200-300 and will be valid for life.However at this stage it is only for the 16 countries who made the first list.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the definition of "soon" is :p

1. At some time in future, can I return to India for good and take up employment there? And retire there?
Yes

2. Will I be eligible for my US retirement benefits (Social security, 401K, etc) if I move to India for an extended period of time?
Depends on the conditions during your retirement i.e you fulfilling the eligibility requirements by the time you actually retire etc.

3. Which country will I pay income tax, if I take up employment in India? Will I be taxed in both US and India (since I will basically be a US citizen)?
There are lots of ifs and buts to this so only a professional can answer this one for you (depending on the type of job,the company etc).

4. If I don't visit US for many years, will I risk losing my US citizenship?
No_Once you become a full fledged citizen the only way you can lose it is to give it up.

5. For any reason in future, can I become a "regular" Indian citizen once again? (for example, by renouncing my US citizenship, will I be converted from "overseas" citizen to "regular" Indian Citizen?)
Not automatically.

These answers are based on whatever info i have been able to collect and/or my understanding.
Hope it helps.

GCAwaited said:
Hi all,
I am a little confused about the "Overseas citizenship" from India.
Let's assume that I get US citizenship, and then this "overseas citizenship".
1. At some time in future, can I return to India for good and take up employment there? And retire there?
2. Will I be eligible for my US retirement benefits (Social security, 401K, etc) if I move to India for an extended period of time?
3. Which country will I pay income tax, if I take up employment in India? Will I be taxed in both US and India (since I will basically be a US citizen)?
5. For any reason in future, can I become a "regular" Indian citizen once again? (for example, by renouncing my US citizenship, will I be converted from "overseas" citizen to "regular" Indian Citizen?)

Thanks,
GCAwaited

:) :)
GCAwaited said:
Hi all,
I am a little confused about the "Overseas citizenship" from India.
Let's assume that I get US citizenship, and then this "overseas citizenship".

Thanks,
GCAwaited

One need not be a US citigen in order to get the Social Security benefits. Indains (among some other countries) are eligible to get these benefits at the retirement age. In fact they need not be GC holders at the time of retirment. Of course, for getting Medicare benefits, one must be in USA, I guess.

Anyone got PIO card lately ???

I posted it in another thread but thought this was more appropriate.
Anyone got the PIO card lately ? I am planning to apply from San francisco india consulate...
Also they are asking the proof india resi. address ? What would you expect to give it here ??
Thanks!!!

Is PIO Card really worth it?

What do you really get with PIO Card?
15 years of multiple entry visa for India @ $310 which works out $20.66 per year of visa. I know additionally, some NRI benefits like buying real estate (but no agricultural/plantation land), participate in investment, and educational/employment schemes that are available to NRIs. You still have to register, if you stay more tha 6 months. I think PIO Card is a really good deal for children. It only costs $155 for 15 years which works out $10.33 per year of visa. More importantly, it's a separate document and since the passports issued to children are only valid for 5 years, PIO card is a more convenient option.

What do you really get with 10 yr multiple entry visa?
10 years of multiple entry visa for India @ $150 which works out $15 per year of visa. You still have to register, if you stay more than 6 months.

If and when OIC becomes a reality?
Lifetime no need for visa @ $275. Everthing you get with PIO and no need to register, if you stay more than 6 months and ability to buy agricultural/plantation land.

Overall, I am having a hard time trying to justify getting a PIO Card. Any more insights, guys!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
i am also planning to apply for PIO card once we get the new passport. do any one know if OIC will become reality in near future

thanks

vlmeda said:
i am also planning to apply for PIO card once we get the new passport. do any one know if OIC will become reality in near future

thanks
vlmeda:
OIC is on hold and not sure how long those stupid govt. official will take to figureout the format of the forms :( So if you have immediate needs, I would say go for PIO as I am planning to do so.

sg_orl said:
What do you really get with PIO Card?
15 years of multiple entry visa for India @ $310 which works out $20.66 per year of visa. I know additionally, some NRI benefits like buying real estate (but no agricultural/plantation land), participate in investment, and educational/employment schemes that are available to NRIs. You still have to register, if you stay more tha 6 months. I think PIO Card is a really good deal for children. It only costs $155 for 15 years which works out $10.33 per year of visa. More importantly, it's a separate document and since the passports issued to children are only valid for 5 years, PIO card is a more convenient option.

What do you really get with 10 yr multiple entry visa?
10 years of multiple entry visa for India @ $150 which works out $15 per year of visa. You still have to register, if you stay more than 6 months.

If and when OIC becomes a reality?
Lifetime no need for visa @ $275. Everthing you get with PIO and no need to register, if you stay more than 6 months and ability to buy agricultural/plantation land.

Overall, I am having a hard time trying to justify getting a PIO Card. Any more insights, guys!?!
If you really just want to visit it back & forth for while than, Yeah, PIO card may not worth it compare to visa which works out cheaper as per your math.
If purpose is to go there for while and work a bit or do some business, or own some properties than you gotta have PIO card (as in my case !!) since you can't keep waiting for ever for OIC to start :rolleyes:

How was your daughter (presumably born in the USA) eligible for OIC? I thought you should be born in India and should have lived for sometime(period unknown) in India to be eligible for OIC. I would be interested since I also have a 2 year old who was born in the USA.

Thanks,
Braja.