India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Old Applicants

What they should do is sort out the existing applicants - short of issuing the certificates. Then invite them to the PBD, and the few who attend (not everyone will go) should be able to participate in the ceremony. It will be a pity if the first citizenship is given on a political basis ... anyway just a suggestion.

Convert PIO to OCI

Its cheaper to convert from PIO to OCI.

PIO cost 155$
Conversion cost 25$

Direct OCT 275

Looks like appy for PIO first and then upgrade for 25$

;-))

cp-gc said:
Its cheaper to convert from PIO to OCI.

PIO cost 155$
Conversion cost 25$

Direct OCT 275

Looks like appy for PIO first and then upgrade for 25$

;-))

The PIO cost is $310 for adults, and $155 for a child. For an adult, it's better to apply for the OIC directly. Of course, that seems to be a moot point at present.

Pio Vs Oic

I read the detailed FAQ regarding OIC.
http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/oci-main.htm

Following benefits will accrue to OCI:

(i) A multiple entry, multi-purpose life long visa for visiting India.

(ii) Exemption from registration with local police authority for any length of stay in India.

(iii) Parity with Non-resident Indians (NRIs) in respect of economic, financial and educational fields, except in relation to acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.

Question ?
Can PIO person by agricultural land ?
CAN OIC person by agricultural land ?

I see only 2 points of difference with PIO.
- Life Long VISA with OIC comapred to 15 years.
- No need to register if you plan to stay more than 6 months for OIC.

What are the drawbacks if any for OIC vs PIO?
- Indian Law applicable to you when staying in India (good or bad ??)'

Comments ???

cp-gc said:
I read the detailed FAQ regarding OIC.
http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/oci-main.htm

Following benefits will accrue to OCI:

(i) A multiple entry, multi-purpose life long visa for visiting India.

(ii) Exemption from registration with local police authority for any length of stay in India.

(iii) Parity with Non-resident Indians (NRIs) in respect of economic, financial and educational fields, except in relation to acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.

Question ?
Can PIO person by agricultural land ?
CAN OIC person by agricultural land ?

I see only 2 points of difference with PIO.
- Life Long VISA with OIC comapred to 15 years.

Comments ???

Neither an OIC nor a PIO can buy agricultural land.That 'honour' is reserved for Resident Indians and I think NRI's but that too is restricted.
Indian law is applicable to you while you are in India irrespective of you being a tourist,a PIO or an OIC.
The only possible drawback for OIC is the country of primary citizenship not helping you out if you get in trouble in India.At this point the US state department does not consider OIC to be a form of dual citizenship (which it isnt anyway) so that too should not be a problem.
Another advantage with OIC (i think) is that you can take up employment in India without having to go through registration and all that hassle.And the fact that you have to stay only 365 days in 5 years to qualify to get full indian citizenship.

boggavarapu said:
Nothing has been mentioned anywhere about the applications that were submitted last year!!

No Reference No was given me at all!!

Also, what about the refund to the applicants who were already PIO Card holders at the time of application last year!!

I feel very disappointed that I will be losing atleast $1000 as I have submitted four applications from my family for OCI. :mad:

I doubt you'll lose money.Just be persistent with the consulate where you submitted the application.I am sure you're refund will come with your OCI certificates.But you must stay on top of the situation.

cp-gc said:

There is a comparison here: http://misrani.blogspot.com/2005/11/overseas-citizenship-of-india.html
if that doesn't work, try typing this
http://misrani.blogspot.com/2005/11/overseas-citizenship-of-india.html

I think as far as visas go OCI is marginally better than PIO. My guess is that PIO may be phased out.

However one problem remains ... I personally am convinced that there are constitutional problems with OCI as per my earlier posts ... so go ahead and apply and get it - as I have - but unless an amendment is passed (to revoke article 9 or some new amendment to allow a second class of citizenship) the real status of what is an OCI will not be resolved.

(The consititution does not "favour" dual citizenship, and requires all citizens to be treated equally - unless they are from a scheduled caste,tribe,sex etc in which case they get better treatment. The supreme court will regard OCI as an implemented citizenship I think based on the wording of the legislation. Again I am not a lawyer)

Last edited by a moderator:
basis said:
I have to admit though that it is an effective you to promote own blog. What next ?
I couldn't get a table like the one that compares all the different types in this forum... if you know how happy to do it. There are no adverts and I do it because there is no other way to get the message across.

This is unfortunately the only way a simple ordinary person can put the truth out - despite all of our letter writing - nothing is getting published - and missinformation continues to get out there (OCI is dual citizenship etc). We are happy to accept Govt grandstanding, hype and all that - well this small individual is not going to go quietly!!!

Except for the back pages of this obscure forum and maybe one or two others, no one knows about the OCI farce. Every sucker is filling in the forms thinking he is getting dual citizenship. Well, I'm doing what I can to put the record straight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pio Vs Oic

Also while PIO card is a booklet, OIC is a VISA stamp on ure foreign passport.
see the faq on http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/oci-main.htm
I see only 2 advantages of OIC Vs PIO.
- Life Long VISA with OIC comapred to 15 years with PIO

mangal969 said:
Neither an OIC nor a PIO can buy agricultural land.That 'honour' is reserved for Resident Indians and I think NRI's but that too is restricted.
Indian law is applicable to you while you are in India irrespective of you being a tourist,a PIO or an OIC.
The only possible drawback for OIC is the country of primary citizenship not helping you out if you get in trouble in India.At this point the US state department does not consider OIC to be a form of dual citizenship (which it isnt anyway) so that too should not be a problem.
Another advantage with OIC (i think) is that you can take up employment in India without having to go through registration and all that hassle.And the fact that you have to stay only 365 days in 5 years to qualify to get full indian citizenship.

PIO1 said:
I couldn't get a table like the one that compares all the different types in this forum... if you know how happy to do it. There are no adverts and I do it because there is no other way to get the message across.

Can you correct the link in your original message please.

cp-gc said:
Also while PIO card is a booklet, OIC is a VISA stamp on ure foreign passport.
see the faq on http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/oci-main.htm
I see only 2 advantages of OIC Vs PIO.
- Life Long VISA with OIC comapred to 15 years with PIO

The OIC is a booklet and a visa stamp on the foreign passport.What difference does that make vis a vis PIO ?

Also i would like to comment on PIO1's comments about OCI not being guarunteed by the constitution.The point that he makes is true but i do not think the government has the power to just revoke OCI when it just pleases.There would be legal and constitutional implications.True if it does come down to a populist measure a future government may shut down OCI but i do not think that would affect the people who have already been issued OCi.And come down to the bare facts, India needs foreign inflows if it wants to expand and sustain growth.You can expect more and more facilities for NRI's and OIC's in the future.I dont think there will be a situation where shutting down OCI will be a populist measure.

basis said:
Can you correct the link in your original message please.

It works for me when you click it ... for some reason this forum sticks a "..." in the middle of the URL when displaying, but when you click the link, it takes you to the correct place. Try pressing refresh a few times. The link is http://misrani.blogspot.com/2005/11/overseas-citizenship-of-india.html

mangal969 said:
Also i would like to comment on PIO1's comments about OCI not being guarunteed by the constitution.The point that he makes is true but i do not think the government has the power to just revoke OCI when it just pleases.There would be legal and constitutional implications.True if it does come down to a populist measure a future government may shut down OCI but i do not think that would affect the people who have already been issued OCi.And come down to the bare facts, India needs foreign inflows if it wants to expand and sustain growth.You can expect more and more facilities for NRI's and OIC's in the future.I dont think there will be a situation where shutting down OCI will be a populist measure.

Agree - in the current climate the govt is unlikely to disapoint NRIs. But the political climate and government are always in flux.

What if a rich OCI purchases property for a business, and what if a rival or union or whatever challenges his/her right to own property, as he/she is not a citizen as per schedule 9? The court may throw out all the OCI amendments, and nullify your purchases and ownerships. In 1986 Rajeev Gandhi's citizenship was challenged under schedule 9 before the supreme court as he had allegedly voluntarily aquired Italian Citizenship. He got away with it, but I don't think as an OCI you will be as safe. http://judis.nic.in/supremecourt/qrydisp.asp?tfnm=9045

Also, what if a new govt appeals to the masses and revokes rights for the rich? To the people NRIs are the symbol of the rich, even though you and me don't think we are. Has this happened? I remember that in 2004 the new govt announced changes to tax for NRIs (I can't find a link) - thankfully we got Dr Manmohan Singh as PM and the proposals were watered down - but what about next time?

According to the constitution, either you are a citizen, or you are not. What is an OCI?

mangal969 said:
I doubt you'll lose money.Just be persistent with the consulate where you submitted the application.I am sure you're refund will come with your OCI certificates.But you must stay on top of the situation.

Thanks. But there is no mention on refund for the previous applicants (who were PIO Card holders)anywhere in the updated information. That worries me. I have been in regular touch with the Consulate in the USA where I applied. The last time I spoke was about 3 weeks ago. I was informed that they have written to INDIA for clarification re. the refund. We have four PIO Cards in my family.

Would there be anything I could do if they refuse to refund. Would appreciate any further input.

qwert97 said:
Finally some embassies in US have updated info. It seems real this time

Chicago embassy
http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/Dual Citizenship.htm

San Fransisco Embassy
http://www.cgisf.org/

The Chicago embassy information is current.The San Francisco embassy has just put up what the MHA had previously put up in their FAQ's.They have no information about the new occurences as of 2nd December.Ditto for Washington embassy.New York embassy is stuck in 2003.

boggavarapu said:
Thanks. But there is no mention on refund for the previous applicants (who were PIO Card holders)anywhere in the updated information. That worries me. I have been in regular touch with the Consulate in the USA where I applied. The last time I spoke was about 3 weeks ago. I was informed that they have written to INDIA for clarification re. the refund. We have four PIO Cards in my family.

Would there be anything I could do if they refuse to refund. Would appreciate any further input.

When the procedure restarts submit copies of your families PIO cards along with the photographs and whatever extra documents are required.That way you are setting your self up for the refund.Persist with the consulate-do not run around writing letters to India unless the consulate gives you a definite no to the refund.
If you are by some stroke of bad luck refused a refund write to the MOIA.But keep this as a last resort.

Any one have any idea how many photographs are to be submitted ? Previous application said 0ne 35x35 and 3 stamp size.Now they are silent on that .