India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
sg_orl said:
With NRI Affairs Minister quiting, I wonder how it affects the always coming soon --overseas citizenship. I think the bureaucrats will keep on postponing it until, they get a new minister, and he again approves it and then take the credit for it.

http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=52507

Shouldnt per se have any difference since overseas citizenship is under the purview of Home affairs (foreigner's division) and not NRI affairs.

But i dont see any indication that the registration will start on the 15th of August....wasted 1 1/2 months after creating a brouhaha and making the president signing an ordinance....

Inaction is the name of the game with our babus & politicians,no matter which side of the spectrum they lie.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Inheritance issues in India for US Citizen

I am US Citizen (originally from India) and I have visa to go to India (not a PIO card)

Which of the following I am allowed to own in India:

A house

Agricultural Land

Non agricultural land

Being the only child of my parents (my parents are in India); is the inheritance of money, bank balances, safe deposit contents, house, and other items a problem for me when my parents die?

Would a PIO card give any advantages as far as above is concerned?

Please reply

Thanks in advance

KDS95AB said:
I am US Citizen (originally from India) and I have visa to go to India (not a PIO card)

Which of the following I am allowed to own in India:

A house

Agricultural Land

Non agricultural land

Being the only child of my parents (my parents are in India); is the inheritance of money, bank balances, safe deposit contents, house, and other items a problem for me when my parents die?

Would a PIO card give any advantages as far as above is concerned?

Please reply

Thanks in advance

In a nutshell I dont think you can own any of the above as long as you are not a registered PIO/OIC.Though i think there would be some mechanism for you to liquidate all this immediately after your parent's death.
I'm not too sure about that though.

I would advise you to go for PIO or OIC and make sure your parents have a properly documented will with registration since you are not living there.

mangal969 said:
In a nutshell I dont think you can own any of the above as long as you are not a registered PIO/OIC.Though i think there would be some mechanism for you to liquidate all this immediately after your parent's death.
I'm not too sure about that though.

I would advise you to go for PIO or OIC and make sure your parents have a properly documented will with registration since you are not living there.

Here is a link that someone posted in this same thread earlier that may help answer your questions... I also recommend going for a PIO if you have inheritance property in India.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/rbi/page4.htm

Well people the Indian long weekend is here and there is no sign whatsoever of OIC starting on 15th august like promised in the government released press statement.Just goes to show that the government has no value for it's word.And if they dont value their own word how can we value their word that our investments/properties will be safe ? I know of so many people living here and embroiled in court cases for the last 5 years or so because someone living in India decided to use their property towards his own end or even sold it off ! Who wants to invite that sort of trouble ?
I just hope that the government realises that we became PIO's just to avoid all this and that playing "local" politics and tugging at heart strings just wont work.

mangal969 said:
Well people the Indian long weekend is here and there is no sign whatsoever of OIC starting on 15th august like promised in the government released press statement.Just goes to show that the government has no value for it's word.And if they dont value their own word how can we value their word that our investments/properties will be safe ?
I just hope that the government realises that we became PIO's just to avoid all this and that playing "local" politics and tugging at heart strings just wont work

I agree with you mangal969! Eventhough India boasts about the economic growth and advancement, it still behaves like a third world country when it comes to implementing policies :rolleyes:

Basically people who are not full British Citizens i.e British Overseas citizen, British Subject or British Protected Person should not apply for OIC because then they are not legible for full British Citizenship.
Someone with the proper knowledge of what exactly these terms mean would probably be able to explain better.Made no sense to me but since it is important and relevant i posted it.

Seems parliament gave a 'nod' to the citizenship bill......how many bills and ordinances is this going to take ? Does anyone have a clue whats going on and whats next ???

mangal969 said:
Seems parliament gave a 'nod' to the citizenship bill......how many bills and ordinances is this going to take ? Does anyone have a clue whats going on and whats next ???

Perhaps the nods are from the mini naps that they are taking in the parliament sessions :D

fitness99 said:
I agree with you mangal969! Eventhough India boasts about the economic growth and advancement, it still behaves like a third world country when it comes to implementing policies :rolleyes:
It is highly unfair to criticize the indian govt. on this issue. Dual citizenship is a complicated issue and will go slowly. Did you see how slowly US govt. moved on the issue of PERM for labor certification. It took 5 years to get implemented.

hipka said:
It is highly unfair to criticize the indian govt. on this issue. Dual citizenship is a complicated issue and will go slowly. Did you see how slowly US govt. moved on the issue of PERM for labor certification. It took 5 years to get implemented.
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the issue.But consider these facts:the law permitting dual citizenship was cleared (parliament president approval etc) in December 2003.Today is the 18th of August 2005...there is still not one person approved for dual citizenship.And it's not like the time is spent is improving or refining the legislation.Except for the list of countries and the application procedure (supposedly),everything is exactly the same as it was 2 years ago.
The US government may have taken 5 years for PERM, but they did not make statements saying that they will implement it soon.Here everyone, from the PM to the bureaucracy is making statements that they will implement it soon.In fact there was a press release from the government itself saying that they will implement it around the 15th of August.Also the whole whitewash with the ordinance (and the abuse of power that the government showed while promulgating the ordinance) is also an issue in focus.
Dual citizenship in it's current form is not at all a complicated issue.It is something like a green card minus the residency requirements.And if you go through the legislation it is pretty comprehensive on what is conferred and what is denied.
The whole purpose of dual citizenship is to attract business and investment.What smart businessman would put his time effort and money into a country where the wheels of bureaucracy turn so slowly ?
In my opinion, the whole reason for this delay is because the government does not consider this an important issue or an issue that can get them political mileage.If they were sincere, 15th August would have seen the implementation of the dual citizenship scheme.
So any criticism of the Indian governement is justified.It is the59th year of independence and we have a President that uses powerpoint in his speeches and yet we have politicans struggling with political realities more than national realities.Be it dual citizenship or anything else the government just moves too slowly for it to do any work of value.

hipka said:

Overseas citizenship, or often misrepresented as dual citizenship, is being handled by Indian govt. (politicians and bureaucrats) for the PIO's (former Indian citizens). PERM for labor certification has been implemented by the US Govt. for foreigners. There is no comparision between these two situations. You apply for a US citizenship as an alien, USCIS treats you differently, but the moment you apply for US pssport, your interaction with the State Dept. is qualitative different. I can bet as a US citizen, you will not be subject to years wait for a service. In fact, after becoming a US citizen, even USCIS also deals with you differently and communicate with phone and emails too!

hipka said:

Well... I love India, but I do not necessarily agree with the politics side of it.

The bureaucracy in India exists to control people.Their power comes from using rules and regulations to make you squirm before them. They live for this. They hate the idea of rules being removed, and people going about their business more freely. They'll throw up a thousand roadblocks to prevent that from happening. For over 50 years from independence, they practically strangled the Indian economy under a mountain of red tape and rubber stamps, and they're only now loosening their grip, albeit reluctantly.

Specifically with visas - they really can't imagine not having all of us lining up in front of them, time and again, to get visitor visas for short trips to India. I'm certain that it's this loss of power over us, that they're trying to prevent for as long as they can. That is the most likely explanation for these delays. I suggest that no one get their hopes up about the OIC plan. It'll happen when it happens, and if it doesn't it doesn't.