• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

INCREASED SCRUTINY AT U.S. PORTS-OF-ENTRY FOR H-1B AND L-1 NON-IMMIGRANTS, visa waiver had the same.

bentlebee

Registered Users (C)
Lately friends of mine who never got any visa then using the visa waiver to get into the country, were having really difficulties at Newark Airport (2 weeks ago). Today I received this special advisory newsletter from my lawyer (I'm signed up for all news about different visa's) and want to share this. Some on this forum were asking for proof and I only could provide the experience of my friends, but now this shows more is happening although they had the same difficulties and were accused of working in the US while they never had worked one day over here. The were told to be send back on the next plane, deportation was mentioned and later they were told they only could stay 1 month on the visa waiver instead of the 3 months that is allowed. Finally when everything seem to be cleared they walked out and noticed they had the I-94 card stamped for 3 months:)....another lawyer advised them to use a different airport next time, but if you read the article it clearly is stating that it is going to spread to other airports...

SPECIAL ADVISORY

INCREASED SCRUTINY AT U.S. PORTS-OF-ENTRY

FOR H-1B AND L-1 NON-IMMIGRANTS

In light of recent events which have transpired at U.S. ports-of-entry we take this opportunity to impart the following important information and advice to our clients about increased inspections concerning H-1B and L-1 Employer-Employee relationships.

On January 8, 2010, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services issued a Memorandum

narrowly defining the Employer-Employee relationship as it relates to H-1B applications and more specifically to employees whose work is performed off-site. This Memorandum has already led to heightened scrutiny in cases in which an H-1B employee performs work at an “end-client” or third-party work location.

We feel obliged to inform you that this Memorandum is not only being utilized in the adjudications process for H-1B applications, but has caused more focused inspections of non-immigrants at U.S. ports-of-entry and is being applied to both H-1B and L-1 workers alike.

We have received specific reports of border officials using this Memorandum as a device to conduct fraud investigations by instituting a random screening process for H-1B and L-1 visa holders. These visa holders have been interrogated as to the nature of their work, where the work is performed, and their relationship to the employer.

Thus far, specific incidents of border officials refusing admissions have been limited to Newark Liberty International and Philadelphia International airports. However, we believe this type of screening and related interrogation may soon spread throughout the United States.

Although all H-1B and L-1 visa holders have been targets of these investigations, it seems clear that individuals who are seeking admission to work at third-party locations are the most likely to be subjected to further action such as visa revocation and removal (in the most severe instances). Therefore, we find it necessary, in this volatile climate of inspections to not only warn of this new practice, but also to advise clients of the documents H-1B and L-1 visa holders should possess when seeking entry into the United States.

Foreign nationals seeking entry into the United States in H-1B or L-1 visa status should carry with them the following documents (where applicable):

Labor Condition Application, certified by the Department of Labor which lists all work sites (for H-1B employees).

The name and contact information of a direct supervisor, located at the Employee’s worksite (not at the third-party worksite).

The Letter of Support which was submitted with the H-1B or L-1 visa petition and confirms the fact that the Employee will work at off-site location(s).

If the Employee is traveling pursuant to an L-1 blanket petition, the supplement to the blanket which lists all related/affiliated entities where the Employee has a right to perform work.

Any other evidence to demonstrate the relationship between the Employer and the Employee.

We understand that these are precarious times for non-immigrant visa holders, and their employers. We are here to assist you in navigating the intricacies of non-immigrant visas and to answer any questions that you might have.

If you have any concerns regarding your particular situation which you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to call our office or to schedule an appointment at your convenience.

My friends spoke with an American woman who works for Homeland security in Washington and stated she knew about the additional screenings at Newark.

According to the article my friends shouldn't have gotten the additional screening since they were here on a toruist visa but got the same treatment....so you never know.

Good Luck and if you have nothing to hide you should be fine, just like them but they had horibble hours over there....because hearing the words, "sent back to where you started the flight, deportation, only allowed to be in the country for 1 month, etc.." are not what you want to have to deal with, even if you haven't done anything wrong...

Think about taking flight from Canadian Airports to US is that you go through US Customs in Canadian Airports, they issue or deny the TN Visa at the Canadian Airports. Even though you have been through US Customs and Immigration in Toronto Airport, how do they even pick you up for interrogation when you land in Newark. My past experience is that I didn't get screened in any US Airports after initial screening by US Customs in Canadian Airports. Is there a second screening now? Or this only affects non-North Americans who never got screened by US Customs at their departing airport?

I can't answer that. One of my kids ones went through US customs in Ireland, but later had to go through security and had no one questioning her, but that doens't mean they can pick some one out while physically arriving on US soil.