• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

in-state resident

pscl

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,

As far as I know, the residents of each state in the US have some privileges against other people no living in that state. For instance, for those deciding to study in a university, the tuition fee for in-state residents is much less than that required for non-residents.

My question is about how a DV winner specifies his/her state after receiving the US visa. Should he/she specify the state where he/she is going to live at interview, POE, etc?

Thanks

once you establish a domicile in a particular state (rent or own), get a State ID, and that will start your residency clock. After a year being a state resident, you will be eligible for in-state tuition. Provided, of course, that you didn't study full-time in the first year - only part-time.

some states do not have a "one year and one day requirement". Students are eligible for in-state tuition as soon as they establish residency in the state.

lucy mo

hi, sorry i would like to know which states have this privilege of one being eligible for in state tuition as one establish residency.

some states do not have a "one year and one day requirement". Students are eligible for in-state tuition as soon as they establish residency in the state.
Thanks LucyMo for your helpful comments. If you know a good source of information regarding this issue on the web please let me know.

Just for clarification: Do you mean that there are some states that if I start my studies as a full-time student in them, I won't be eligible for in-state tuition even though I do the domicile?

If you know a good source of information regarding this issue on the web please let me know.
google.com

Just for clarification: Do you mean that there are some states that if I start my studies as a full-time student in them, I won't be eligible for in-state tuition even though I do the domicile?
yes. In the first year you must go to school part-time only, otherwise, it appears that you are in that state for schooling purposes only, and not to establish a domicile. Some universities actually provide that info as a warning.