impact of small claim court?

jasonb

Registered Users (C)
Questions to all:
What's the impact on my N-400 app (in upcoming interview) if I have been sued in a small claim court? The person suing is claiming that I owe him $500. He was my tenant and he claimed that I didn't return enough of his security deposit when he moved out two months ago.

cheers,
jasonb

Questions to all:
What's the impact on my N-400 app (in upcoming interview) if I have been sued in a small claim court? The person suing is claiming that I owe him $500. He was my tenant and he claimed that I didn't return enough of his security deposit when he moved out two months ago.

cheers,
jasonb

civil lawsuit does not matter unless your landlord happen to be the husband of
the your interview officer

Questions to all:

cheers,
jasonb

Civil suits have no effect on your eligibility for citizenship.

You should be prepared to bring some details of your court experience to the IO. For example during my interview I was asked if I had ever been in court before. Luckily mine were just for minor speed violations and so that was immediatly dismissed. So I would think if I had been to court for even small claims that he might want to see some details on that.

Best bet is to just bring the information, but unless asked, there's no need to disclose it at all...

You should be prepared to bring some details of your court experience to the IO. For example during my interview I was asked if I had ever been in court before. Luckily mine were just for minor speed violations and so that was immediatly dismissed. So I would think if I had been to court for even small claims that he might want to see some details on that.

Best bet is to just bring the information, but unless asked, there's no need to disclose it at all...

Having been to court means having been to a court as defedent in criminal offense. It does not make sense to include all court experiences. You can go to court as a witness/victim or even you can go to court as a worker to repair
electricla wire, install computer system etc.

This is bad advice. Small claims court are private matters and bear no relationship to your eligibility for citizenship. As already noted, when asked if you've been in court, the implied question is "have you ever been a criminal defendant in a case?"