Immigration

Firstly, a petition from a stepparent could only ever be for a green card, not a citizen.
Secondly, need way more information. The two key question: (1) how old were you when he became your stepfather? (2) are you present legally in the US?

Firstly, a petition from a stepparent could only ever be for a green card, not a citizen.
Secondly, need way more information. The two key question: (1) how old were you when he became your stepfather? (2) are you present legally in the US?
I was already over the age of 21 years old when my mom and my stepdad got married

You have to be under 18 at the time of the marriage for a step-parent relationship to be valid for immigration purposes, so that won’t be an avenue for you. What status does your mother have?

So did you not immigrate with your mother at that stage? What is your current status in the US?
Yes, we immigrated with my mom at that stage. I must apologize for not being comfortable sharing my current status here in the US since I don't know if there's any confidentiality in this forum. I hope you understand

Yes, we immigrated with my mom at that stage. I must apologize for not being comfortable sharing my current status here in the US since I don't know if there's any confidentiality in this forum. I hope you understand
Well, you need to understand it’s difficult or impossible to give advice without knowing the situation. But if you immigrated with your mother when you were minors you should have had green cards and been able to naturalize, either if she did when you were under 18 or on your own after that age if you met the requirements. So without any understanding of your situation now, or why naturalization didn't happen before leading to the question in the first post, all we can say is no, you cannot get citizenship through your stepfather, but we cannot give any advice on how to move forward as we don’t know where you are starting from.

Well, you need to understand it’s difficult or impossible to give advice without knowing the situation. But if you immigrated with your mother when you were minors you should have had green cards and been able to naturalize, either if she did when you were under 18 or on your own after that age if you met the requirements. So without any understanding of your situation now, or why naturalization didn't happen before leading to the question in the first post, all we can say is no, you cannot get citizenship through your stepfather, but we cannot give any advice on how to move forward as we don’t know where you are starting from.
Can you 100% guarantee me full confidentiality if I tell you my current status here in the US?

When you say you "immigrated", do you mean you became a US permanent resident (i.e. green card holder)? Or did you mean you just came to the US in another status? If you became a permanent resident, did you abandon permanent residency by staying outside the US for a long time? or did you maintain residence in the US?

Once you are a permanent resident, the process to naturalize to become a US citizen is straightforward and is an application done by yourself. You do not rely on anyone to petition you or anyone to perform any other action for you to naturalize. That's why it is confusing when you talk about your stepdad "petitioning" you to become a citizen -- nobody petitions anyone else to become a citizen. People petition family members to become permanent residents. I am not sure whether you are confusing becoming a permanent resident with becoming a citizen, or if there is something else going on.

So do you have any advice?
In the absence of any details (very few admittedly would make a difference), the only advice anyone can give someone who is currently illegal is to go home, wait out any ban period that they may have incurred, and look for a legal means to immigrate when that is done (this advice assumes you have not got yourself a permanent bar).

Ok assuming you are currently here under no immigration status, please tell us all categories of status you've had in the past in as much detail as possible.

I want to become a citizen of the United States, who can ask me to become a citizen of the United States

Hello All,

I am glad this forum exists, because this forum helped me get a green card when I won a lottery in 2018. Thank you all, and so I am back but not sure if I am posting it in the correct thread.

How can my wife get a green card from me. I won a lottery, while she was on an asylum case and we were not married at the time. However, we were religiously married because we love each other, but I played green card lottery seperatly because she was on a case and we were not married - government way; like we did not have a certificate of marriage until last year, I believe 1 year after I won my green card.

Is it true that me not being a citizen but having a green card can still give her opportunity to get a green card even tho she is on the asylum pending case and I dont have citiznship yet. Please let me know.