immigration to Australia

vams9

hi there.... i have a valid H1 visa and i would like to know the prerequisites for australia immigration.

thanx

Hi There

The rules for acquiring PR in Australia are quite strict - they work on a points system.

Before I bore you with details go to ...

Australian Govt

They work on a points system ... The more points you, the likelier you are of success. If you have a PhD - you get great points. If you have immdeiate family there, then too you get some points. If you are the last remaining sibling living in the coutry you are in ... even better.

I think on the url I gave you, they also list desirable professions. You can go under employer nomination or family re-union.

Follow the link and it should provide you with enough details. Also, in this forum, there is an Australian attorney who can help.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Re: Hi There

Originally posted by SteveG
The rules for acquiring PR in Australia are quite strict - they work on a points system.

Before I bore you with details go to ...

Australian Govt

They work on a points system ... The more points you, the likelier you are of success. If you have a PhD - you get great points. If you have immdeiate family there, then too you get some points. If you are the last remaining sibling living in the coutry you are in ... even better.

I think on the url I gave you, they also list desirable professions. You can go under employer nomination or family re-union.

Follow the link and it should provide you with enough details. Also, in this forum, there is an Australian attorney who can help.

Feel free to ask more questions.

thanx for the information

Hi Steve

I'm an Australian permanent resident and also i'm on h1 working in USA. My employer has applied for green card and it is in 485 stage. My question is can i keep both countries residence? My plan is work here for 4 to 5 years and then go to australia to settle there.

Thanks for your reply.

I think you can ...

Hi KCR,

I am in the position as you are, PR of Oz, waiting on my GC from Nebraska. I would 'guess' (get a 2nd opinion, please) that as long as your PR is valid, or there would not be an issue renewing your PR then you should be fine. My meaning behind the PR renewal is this ... If you have spent more than 5 yrs away from Oz (again this may have changed) - you should be ok to renew. If you have family ties to Oz - all the better.

KCR - I would urge you to consult an Oz attorney on this ...

Hope this helps ...

Thanks Steve

I know one can not have Canadian & USA residence, but I'm not sure about having Aus & US residence. Anyway I'll try to find out more on this and If i know something i'll post it here.

Residence <> citizenship

I assume you meant citizenship when you mentioned residence.

I am sure you can have dual citizenship of Australia and US.
I am an Australian citizen and am waiting for US GC now. I know Australia allows me to keep my OZ citizenship even I deceided to become a US citizenship (5 yrs after GC). I also checked that US allows citizens of some countries to keep their citizenship when they apply for Naturalization (US citizenship). These "some countries" include Australia. However, when you take up US citizenship 5 years after your Green card, you may (may not) have to give up your original citizenship – depending on which country you are from.

You can have OZ PR and US GC concurrently. Keeping your OZ PR beyond 5 years is a different story. I know some people have had their OZ PR extended for additional 5 years. You need good excuse for for that.