immigration frauds for Indian passport holders

This is Hoax for sure - Come on ! Immigration people have nothing else to do but tear pages of passport - Hahaha - Its funny -
How many times you guys have traveled ?

I am not sure about this article, but I am +ve that there is corruption ( way too much ) at Indian airports. I remember

1. the guy who places my suitcase on the x-ray belt ( for scanning ) demand for money in chennai airport.

2. To take international KLM; I needed to change airport (mumbai) domestic to international using KLM bus ( for KLM passengers ) . the "helper" wanted 500 rs bribe to get my suitcase ( that was in the cargo section of the bus )

3. after the last check, just before i came in to the boarding area, the local police/security asked me how much (Indian rupee) money I had and demanded for chai pani.

This may be a localized thing in Hyderabad/Chennai. Normally NRI's in other places are taken for a ride only by the taxi cabbies but then cabbies do not discriminate between people on that...:p::p

This is a certain Hoax. This website posted this on 9/28/2007. Whereas the same was posted in this blog http://hashout.blogspot.com/search/label/Scams on 01/04/2007. Its impossible that anything of this sort was not reported or seen light for nine months. Its an attempt of sick minds to play with weak minds.

Please do not fall for it and ignore it.

I am not sure about this article, but I am +ve that there is corruption ( way too much ) at Indian airports. I remember

1. the guy who places my suitcase on the x-ray belt ( for scanning ) demand for money in chennai airport.

2. To take international KLM; I needed to change airport (mumbai) domestic to international using KLM bus ( for KLM passengers ) . the "helper" wanted 500 rs bribe to get my suitcase ( that was in the cargo section of the bus )

3. after the last check, just before i came in to the boarding area, the local police/security asked me how much (Indian rupee) money I had and demanded for chai pani.

Well it happened in India so you want to tab it as "Corruption" but here we are doing the same or experiencing the same. What do you do when you go to restaurants here? You tip the waiters.. It is also then corruption.. Particularly in "Indian Restaurants" they bluntly demand the "Tip". Here from the moment you land on the airport, you are brainwashed about "Tipping tradition" and you start pretending liking and not screaming "Corruption" why? Tipping is meant for appreciating the "help or wait" what you receive from the waiter. In India if that porter may not demand then you would suck his blood for free and so they have to demand. Rather try one thing next time when you go to India. Before porter demands anything give him a hint of "Good Appreciation" and behave little nicely, you would be amazed the level that man will go to help you. Here what we are doing "lobbying".. Is not that corruption?

Well it happened in India so you want to tab it as "Corruption" but here we are doing the same or experiencing the same. What do you do when you go to restaurants here? You tip the waiters.. It is also then corruption.. Particularly in "Indian Restaurants" they bluntly demand the "Tip". Here from the moment you land on the airport, you are brainwashed about "Tipping tradition" and you start pretending liking and not screaming "Corruption" why? Tipping is meant for appreciating the "help or wait" what you receive from the waiter. In India if that porter may not demand then you would suck his blood for free and so they have to demand. Rather try one thing next time when you go to India. Before porter demands anything give him a hint of "Good Appreciation" and behave little nicely, you would be amazed the level that man will go to help you. Here what we are doing "lobbying".. Is not that corruption?

About the article first. This sounds like complete hoax to me... If it was really happening then it would all over the news media... The website referenced, I have never heard of it!
As far as corruption goes, you cannot compare corruption and tipping. Its not even the same ball park... And yes America has a tradition of tipping... In India there is no such tradition... However,tipping can become corruption if it is demnded of you and there lies the difference. I have never been demanded tip anywhere in the last 12 years or so I have lived in this country. The key difference here is that in India you will be held hostage if you do not pay the "chai pani" for some job that are supposed to do in the first place! Thats corruption! Also, you mentioned Indian restaurants in US... well you proved the point yourself! Indians no matter where they live do not want to give up on their "tradition" of corruption! Honestly though, I have never been demanded tip in an Indian restaurant either... I have lived in the south, east coast and west coast and have been to numerous Indian restaurants! Also, i am not sure if you are aware, but restaurants are a special case when it comes to tipping... waiters are paid much below minimum wages by the government... It is generally assumed that they will make the money through tipping! As far as politics is concerned thats a different story altogether... American politicians are the kings of corruption... Look at Chenny-Halliburton... can you get any dirtier!

I have lived in the south, east coast and west coast and have been to numerous Indian restaurants! Also, i am not sure if you are aware, but restaurants are a special case when it comes to tipping... waiters are paid much below minimum wages by the government... It is generally assumed that they will make the money through tipping!

I have also lived in 9 states covering all directions here... I would not say I experienced this demand everywhere but yes at some of the places I experienced that.. If tipping is validated here on the basis of low wages then it goes true for the potter on Air port or Railway station in India as well. You, me and all of this forum know that truth... Right? Then only fact remains is that "NRI" screams for the potter in India but do not have guts to scream against waiter in USA.

This artical complete hoax . I have got 10-15 email in last 4 years from unknown persons with same content and was requested to Forward them to others and I deleted I don’t believe in this article.
Other poster “antzz” starts new discussion about corruption by porters at airports. Why to mix this article with corruption in India at Airport or RTO office or passport office or Police station? Every Indian knows about how the system works in India ,for death certificate one has to pay the bribe, to get the dead body one has to pay the bribe. Look at what your Local area MLA or MP had before he became MLA or MP and now what he had after he/she becomes MLA MP or minister and true story will be before you.

I have also lived in 9 states covering all directions here... I would not say I experienced this demand everywhere but yes at some of the places I experienced that.. If tipping is validated here on the basis of low wages then it goes true for the potter on Air port or Railway station in India as well. You, me and all of this forum know that truth... Right? Then only fact remains is that "NRI" screams for the potter in India but do not have guts to scream against waiter in USA.

Tipping is validated by the US government for US only, not the entire world... It is their tradition... How can validation of tipping here by the government and people of US have any bearing on validition of tipping by Indians/NRIs in India? Doesnt make any sense! If you are talking about attitudes of NRIs... well then it has got nothing to do with whether you are NRI or not... Infact there is hardly any dignity of labor in India. We all know how poor people in menial jobs are treated... When I was in India I was guilty of such treatment myself... It was only after I came to US and worked at University cafeteria as a bussboy did I realize my mistake... So I make it a point to treat everyone with respect despite their jobs or status be it US or India... I am not sure if, this would have dawned upon me had I stayed in India!
As Ginnu said the corruption is everywhere in India... When was the last time you had to pay someone to get your University transcrips or your credit report! I am sure the answer will be NEVER... Despite all its inefficiencies, imagine if USCIS was in India... the IO officers in India would have become millionaires! I am not of the view that everything about India is bad and everything about US is great... But there are lot of good things about this country, else we wouldnt be sitting here trying to get a green card! :D

I dint mean to hijack this thread. I point I was driving was:

There is so much "forced money extraction" ( for ppl who are offended by word "corruption" ) in Indian airport, this article/idea is not difficult to implement and our customs dept is capable of it.

bharatpermi, next time take some electronics ( camcoder etc ) when you travel to India and try to get out of the airport with out paying "bribe"/tip/"gift to custom offer". Even if you are ready to pay the customs duty , you can't . ( this happened to my friend & he was humiliated and had to pay customs duty of "inner wear" he brought in USA.

USA is not the de-facto standard, All I am saying is India could do better!

Tipping is validated by the US government for US only, not the entire world... It is their tradition... How can validation of tipping here by the government and people of US have any bearing on validition of tipping by Indians/NRIs in India? Doesnt make any sense! If you are talking about attitudes of NRIs... well then it has got nothing to do with whether you are NRI or not... Infact there is hardly any dignity of labor in India. We all know how poor people in menial jobs are treated... When I was in India I was guilty of such treatment myself... It was only after I came to US and worked at University cafeteria as a bussboy did I realize my mistake... So I make it a point to treat everyone with respect despite their jobs or status be it US or India... I am not sure if, this would have dawned upon me had I stayed in India!
As Ginnu said the corruption is everywhere in India... When was the last time you had to pay someone to get your University transcrips or your credit report! I am sure the answer will be NEVER... Despite all its inefficiencies, imagine if USCIS was in India... the IO officers in India would have become millionaires! I am not of the view that everything about India is bad and everything about US is great... But there are lot of good things about this country, else we wouldnt be sitting here trying to get a green card! :D

I think, we all are on the same page for following points so please do not steer the arguments towards whether USA is good or not. It is good and so we all are here.

1) Rampant corruption is prevalent in India
2) Dignity of labor in USA - Far better than India

When I say "Validation" I do not argue in terms of "Traditional culture" of USA.
I am arguing w.r.t "NRI"'s behavior. The same horse - "NRI" has different specatcles - One for "USA" ground and one for "India" ground. More or less I was pointing towards attitude of NRIs. Alas you at least get that. Actually if you have nurtured "dignity of labor" in you heart and mind than you would never behave badly with any kind of labor whether it may be Indian or American. My only point was that. The same guy would not hesitate giving 15 % tip here as he wanted to be seen as "adapting" would not give a single paisa tip in Indian restaurant in India and rather will shout and behave badly with Indian waiter in India.

Now as far as corruption In India is concerned do you think that the people who arrived here were less corrupt? Probably most of them might have implemented or followed more innovative ways of corruption and sucked blood of many coming onto your way. Just think , the process of coming to USA, how corrupt it is (Work Visa). If somebody came as a student, than first question should be arised how the hell s/he become capable of affording exorbitant study fee in USA's university. Easy way to answer is her/his family is wealthy. Than next question how come her/his family become wealthy in the land of people where per capita income was used to be RS 500/- per year 10 to 12 years ago. And if you say her/his family became wealthy with following all moral ethics of all humanity than everybody (At least all other Indians) would not stop laughing. So point is s/he is corrupt and so the system is corrupt. Most of us are corrupt and so the system is corrupt.

In my understanding coming to the USA on student visa and living permanently is also a corruption. Think about it, one take a ride fo almost free and subsidized education in India, stripping the rights of other ( You got the seat in engineering so somebody other did not get that seat), studying there with using Indian tax money, one came to uSA for advacned study... so far so good... and than s/he never return back... What does Indian people get to make him/her an engineer? nothing.. So this is moral corruption.

So pint is that we all are already corrupt so we can not lecture and at least we can not show any frustration towards corruption in India being a corrupt person.

Thanks. That is the truth and truth is not always sweet.

Na Sivaley , Na Harm na Kalash Jhootthey hain
Bus thoda sa tum jhottey ya thoda sa hun jhoothey hain!!!
Khushi hoti hain un logon say mil kar
jo auroon say thoda kam jhoothey hain!!!
May nay to suna hi nahin un ko boltey huey
kon kahta hai merey sanam jhoothey hain!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Na Sivaley , Na Harm na Kalash Jhootthey hain
Bus thoda sa tum jhottey ya thoda sa hun jhoothey hain!!!
Khushi hoti hain un logon say mil kar
jo auroon say thoda kam jhoothey hain!!!
May nay to suna hi nahin un ko boltey huey
kon kahta hai merey sanam jhoothey hain!!!

Ginnuji,

Namaskar !! Sat Sri Akal!!