Immigration for Sibling - Is this the correct process?

asimraja

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am a USA national (naturalized). I would like to initiate immigration for my brother (overseas). I went through the forums, some blogs and I-130 forms / instructions and would like to confirm my understanding, as the people here are very knowledgeable.

1. Do I file for I-130 only now?
2. I understand that one has to eventually file for I-864 and DS-260. Do these have to be filed only after I-130 is approved?
3. There is a long wait for I-130 approval for siblings. Is it just getting longer and longer over time or has it become stable?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1. yes
2. That's only in the Consular Processing process, which only happens when a visa number is close to being available. Currently, visa numbers are only available in the F4 (sibling) category for I-130s filed 13.5 years ago.
3. The time it takes for I-130 to approve doesn't matter. It's the wait for visa number to become available that matters. I am not sure about the trend in visa number wait times

Hi,

I am a USA national (naturalized). I would like to initiate immigration for my brother (overseas). I went through the forums, some blogs and I-130 forms / instructions and would like to confirm my understanding, as the people here are very knowledgeable.

2. I understand that one has to eventually file for I-864 and DS-260. Do these have to be filed only after I-130 is approved?
3. There is a long wait for I-130 approval for siblings. Is it just getting longer and longer over time or has it become stable?

1 and 2 answered above.
To clarify on 2, if going through consular processing, when the priority date of the petition is current in Chart B (dates for filing) in the visa bulletin, NVC will contact you to submit documents including these. This is typically 6-12 months before they expect a visa number to be available, and can be some years after the petition is approved.

3 As above, the real wait is for the visa number to be available (priority date to be current). That - at least over the time I have been watching family based visa numbers, which is since I had a petition filed for me in 2008 - has gotten progressively longer over time. Back then, F4 priority dates were becoming current for petitions that had been filed around 10 years earlier. Before the pandemic that had lengthened to around 13 years; it is currently closer to 15 (longer for applicants from india, Mexico and philippines). You can track how this goes by following the progress of category F4 in table A of the monthly visa bulletin https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...tin/2022/visa-bulletin-for-november-2021.html

Hello,
I became a US citizen last year. I have 2 brothers overseas, last year I applied for one of them who is single.
now I am applying for the married brother and his wife and children.
1- In part 4 ( if the beneficiary written language doesn’t use Roman letters, type or print his name and foreign address in their native language) is it should be in Arabic for Middle East country?
2- Part 5; other information, have you ever previously filed for this beneficiary or any other alien? Should be yes? I applied for my other brother last year.
- if the answer should be yeas, in 3.a what city or town? My city or I should write Submitted Online?
3- my brother has 2 children, when I started the online application it didn’t ask for any other certificates except my brother’s birth certificate, should I upload his wife’s and children birth certificates and his marriage certificate or no need for them?
I appreciate your help in this as you usually do.

Hi guys, I hope you have ideas or advices, from experience.

I became a US citizen last year. I have 2 brothers overseas, last year I applied for one of them who is single.

now I am applying for the married brother and his wife and children.

1- In part 4 ( if the beneficiary written language doesn’t use Roman letters, type, or print his name and foreign address in their native language) is it should be in Arabic for Middle East country?

2- Part 5; other information, have you ever previously filed for this beneficiary or any other alien? Should be yes? I applied for my other brother last year.

- if the answer should be yeas, in 3.a what city or town? My city where I live or I should write Submitted Online?

3- my brother has 2 children, when I started the online application, it didn’t ask for any other certificates except my brother’s birth certificate, should I upload his wife’s and children birth certificates and his marriage certificate or no need for them?

I appreciate your help in this as you usually do.

1. I'm assuming Arabic is not the only language spoken in the Middle East, right? Some Middle Eastern countries speak Hebrew, Persian and Turkish. So you really should be able to figure this out on your own considering you've already gone through the immigration process yourself, and you've also submitted an I-130 for another brother. Don't overthink any of the questions, if the beneficiary's language does not use Roman letters, just write out their information based on whatever it is.
2. Yes. Your city.
3. Just follow the instructions and provide what is listed. Marriage certificate or children's b/c are not required for demonstrating the relationship between you and your sibling whom you're filing to sponsore.

1. I'm assuming Arabic is not the only language spoken in the Middle East, right? Some Middle Eastern countries speak Hebrew, Persian and Turkish. So you really should be able to figure this out on your own considering you've already gone through the immigration process yourself, and you've also submitted an I-130 for another brother. Don't overthink any of the questions, if the beneficiary's language does not use Roman letters, just write out their information based on whatever it is.
2. Yes. Your city.
3. Just follow the instructions and provide what is listed. Marriage certificate or children's b/c are not required for demonstrating the relationship between you and your sibling whom you're filing to sponsore.
Thank you so much Sm1smom for your help.
Yes Egypt use Arabic language as the formal language although many people use English.
And I will use my city and state where I live now ( even if the first petition submitted online).
again many thanks
D

Hi,

Hello All,
The person initiating the immigration process needs to be US Citizen or a Green Card holder can also initiate the process? My sister-in-law is a GC holder and I will like to see if she can apply for our immigration.

Thanks,
Harnit

Hello All,
The person initiating the immigration process needs to be US Citizen or a Green Card holder can also initiate the process? My sister-in-law is a GC holder and I will like to see if she can apply for our immigration.

Thanks,
Harnit
A GC holder is not eligible to sponsor a sibling, only a USC is eligible to do that. Even at that, the process will take several years, could be 15 to 20 (if not more depending on the backlogs).