I'm not an AS6, but the card says I am...

Hi guys. This is my first message here. I need your advice. I'm colombian, and I want to go on vacation to my country. I have Asylee status, but I don't have my GC yet; however, I have my Refugee Travel Document. Do you think, guys, that I should visit my country using this document????

I'd like to read EVERYTHING you think about it.

Thank you.

Sure, visit your Embassy to get yourself a COP visa stamped in RTD.
You'll be all set, and don't forget tickets, try Delta Airlines I heard they got discounts.
Don't be late on the plane:D, usually boarding starts 2 hours prior the flight.
Have a nice vacation

Hey guys,

I never bothered about this before, but on my GC my category is shown as AS6, but I'm not the primary asylee. I'm the child of the primary asylee. Should I have checked and pointed this out to USCIS when I first got the card? I didn't even know that I'm not an AS6 until recently, and I got the card in March of 2006...

So far, I haven't had any problems (touch wood?), but I'm worried that, eventually, something will come up. What do you think this means for me?

The only time you are gonna have problem is when you apply for citizenship. And whether you are AS6, AS7, or AS8 you have to wait the same time; by having AS6 it doesn't give you any advantage. Therefore, even if they discover the AS6 at your interview and its their mistake, you would had become elligible for citizenship. therefore, i would just wait and apply citizenship on time. I don't think you are ganna any trouble. And by the way they are take it away at your citizenship. So do don't worry about it...

Hey guys,

I never bothered about this before, but on my GC my category is shown as AS6, but I'm not the primary asylee. I'm the child of the primary asylee. Should I have checked and pointed this out to USCIS when I first got the card? I didn't even know that I'm not an AS6 until recently, and I got the card in March of 2006...

So far, I haven't had any problems (touch wood?), but I'm worried that, eventually, something will come up. What do you think this means for me?
Did you have any problems during the naturalization process or you ended up sending back the green card for correctio?

Haha, I was going to respond to this message saying the OP will probably not respond to such an old thread, and then noticed I created it. Weird. I don't even visit this forum that often, so lucky you.

I never sent the card back. Like many people said, it was probably because I turned 21 before I became an LPR. They never mentioned this during my naturalisation process.

Lucky me, definitely !

Thank you for your response, I got my GC in October 2023 and am having the same situation (AS7 instead of AS8), my stepfather is the main applicant. Everyone else has the correct category, I’m the oldest child, the other 4 are under 21. I’ll just wait until it’s time to apply for naturalization.

I don't know why you got AS7. That's definitely for spouses. But, you're definitely AS so it ought to be correct overall.