IL Question

andy505

Registered Users (C)
All experienced people, please help me to understand the following in IL.
Today I received my IL and it states to must bring following things to the interview:

1. This letter
2. Your Alien Reg Card (Green Card)
3. Any evidence of Selective Service Registration.
4. Your passport and/or any other doc in connection with any entries in US
5. Those items noted bellow which is applicable to you.

a) Your Marriage Certificate
b) Proof of death/divorce of each prior marriage
c) Your spouse’s birth certificate or naturalization certificate.

Is it a standard mail which everyone gets or it’s specific to my case. I have question about the Item number 3 regarding selective services. I have never registered for Selective Service so do I need to say to IO that I never registered for it or what? When first time came to US on my H1, I was 25 year + 5 moths old and My wife was 24 years and 4 moths old.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You need to obtain from http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html the status information letter. It is too late for you but for someone else it is much easier to register, even if not required as the OP, than has to answer this question any time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed that this is delayed now, but what is remedy to this now? Do I have to put an notarized affidavit along with a proof that I have requested for the status from Selective Services department?

You need to obtain from http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html the status information letter. It is too late for you but for someone else it is much easier to register, even if not required as the OP, than has to answer this question any time.

Acr, It is incorrect. Andy doesn't need it since he entered USA on h1 visa. The immigration computer already has his immigration records including H1 visa so he doesn't need a letter.

Andy, yes, that interview letter is standard letter for everyone. You don't need a SS letter because you were on h1 visa and you are now above 25. You are good to go unless you have any questions with the interview letter. :) Good luck on your interview! By the way, it has nothing to do with your wife since she is female. SS registration is only for male person of between 18 and 25 who is US citizen, green card holder, illegal alien, and person with out of the status. It is not for male person who has non-immigration status like H1, F1, tourist, L1, etc.

Thanks to all of you for your quick answers. I talked to my some other friends and they also told me not to worry much about SS letter. Thanks again to all of you.

Thanks to all of you for your quick answers. I talked to my some other friends and they also told me not to worry much about SS letter. Thanks again to all of you.

If you want to make sure that you don't need ss letter, here's the link of the official government site: http://www.sss.gov/Status.html

or I copied and pasted here:

No status information letters are required from the Selective Service System for :

* Non-U.S. male who came into this country for the first time after his 26th birthday
* Non-U.S. male on a valid non-immigrant visa
* A male born prior to 1960
* A veteran with a DD-214 or current fulltime active duty orders
* A member of the National Guard or Reserves with ID card