IJ approved my case...whats next?!

When you go to your appointment they should issue you an I-94 card and a work permit.

There should not be anything further in the mail for you.

Are you sure? I didnot get it. The IO said they never give anyone any I-94 card except EAD.

So, the damn immigration system is broken!!!

First of all, you do NOT need an EAD (work permit) -- your status as asylee is enough for Social Security Administration to issue you a clean Social Security card (conditional ones say "not valid without work authorization" or something like that). For some reason, this is not a very well-known fact (even some IOs don't know this) and some immigration lawyers either are ignorant or want to take you money for filling out the paperwork.

Anyhow, here's the relevant link to everything you need to know about getting Soc Sec card as an immigrant -- http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/documents.htm

Who is authorized to work?
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) now considers aliens granted asylum to have permanent employment authorization and requests that we treat them as permanent resident aliens. This means that when an individual granted asylum submits appropriate documentation with an SS-5, we will issue an unrestricted Social Security card.

Secondly, I wish we knew that we were supposed to go to the local office after our case was over. When our appeals process was through, we didn't receive any guidance so we didn't get new I-94s. Later, prior to sending out I-485s, when we went the local office on INFOPASS appointment to ask about this, they never once mentioned that they're supposed to give us I-94s and told us to send copies IJ's decision and BOI order as support. Regular IOs didn't know anything, but that was the response from a supervisor.