If your home country was as rich, would you still want to immigrate? please vote!

sd1963 & andy2000,

You are right. But there are exceptions.

Till 92 I worked,earned in Europe and was satisfied with my life in my home country. I gave up my chances to migrate to canada that time while my other friends migrated and are citizen now.

After 98 due to certain reasons I was compelled to come here. I feel 7 years are sufficient to earn and save money but since market is not that good and to get more oppurtunities I applied for GC.

Some of my Gujarati friends are happy here coz their 50% realtives and friends are here (some have more than that) and 50% are in india. They spend 3-4 months every year in India. So it depends.

Enjoyment can be defined in many ways. So I cannot argue on that. Someone's fun could be pain for other.

So let's see what is hidden in future.

>Its really amusing that when I meet any level headed guys they >all wish to go back to their home country and settle down. But I >found that there is something in Air we breathe and Water we >drink here that propels us to stay back and many say that India >is our Junambhumi and US is our Karambhumi so what’s the >harm is staying back if it makes you content and happy???

here is my practical reason for going back to india. being a first generation in US ( I am not talking about guys who come into forbes list here) most of us will spend all our money in paying mortgage for our home and living a decent life and keeping just some left over as our retirement saving. most of us will struggle here in this country only to retire with a humble savings.

on the other hand if you go back in india with the social security itself you can have a good life. if you have savings you can have a luxurious life.

I accept sachdev!
After working in this country for 5 - 10 years, Can we move from American middle class to rich class?
Can anyone of us imagine a life here with a personal car driver, housemaid, cook....
But with 150K-200K $ savings, we can live a rich life in our country in a decent city.
We can start a small business and Stay with our own friends, relatives....
WE are here because we didn’t know how to make money in our country. I am talking about India

Last edited by a moderator:
sd1963 and v_rkumar32,

I have same opinion
See my post on page 3 , 2nd from top.

Choice is ours.

A friend of mine teaches at Rice University. They once did research on Immigrants who come from the Middle and Far East to see what brings them here, cultural differences, adjustmets, adabtation etc...

To make a long story short, the research points out that the majority of immigrants coming to this country from the East have the notion of going back "home" after they achieve their "goals and objectives" be that money, experience, education, etc.... However, only a fraction of them actually do go back.

So, how do we compare to this. What was our thinking when we came, now, and what we think of the future.

Simple equations.

Where ever on earth,the fundamental is ultimate value
of the equations.This will decide one's own perceptions
and he lives for his life.
1)Xa1+Xb1+Xc1......=US
2) Xa2+Xb2_Xb3....=India.
Xa..are paramters like:
Money,Decent Life,comfort,ORDERLY SOCIETY,SOCIAL DECIPLINE,
relations,equality,value,decency,etc etc, of ones's own perception and experiences.
When for any body the value of equation becomes US>India,
(Which happens always in most of the most cases),he will be in US.
The equation of the life is basic fact and criteria and any amount of 'belong to' feeling,whatever high,can't pull him back to India.
(It is not he doesn't want it).
Some times even trivial parameters like:
Election time bonanza-Loud speakers blaring to deafen your ears
and you have no say,of course freedom of speech for others,NOT FOR YOU !!.
(Your brother may be having exams at the same period.no body cares- utter a word-you are out).
Festivals:Blaring sounds.Decibles:200?You need to keep qiet.
Very good social order.
so many parameters indeed.countless.
all will addup.Social decipline.Mutual respect for others comfort(A distant cry.)
So it is hard infact to list/ compare so many paramters,
hence if who ever feels better at the crest ,it matters.
So essence is- feelings and the equation matters!

Guys this is a very interesting and intriguing thread. Thanks for your thoughts and comments

to Participant
Some times even trivial parameters like:
Election time bonanza-Loud speakers blaring to deafen your ears
and you have no say,of course freedom of speech for others,NOT FOR YOU !!.
Can purchase a farmhouse don't live in downtown. Can make good bed rooms. If you have MONEY.
(Your brother may be having exams at the same period.no body cares- utter a word-you are out).
Can purchase a big house with study room. If you have MONEY.
Festivals:Blaring sounds.Decibles:200?You need to keep qiet.
Very good social order.
Here people go to Bar, Orchestra, party just to feel Decible 300......Since we miss that , we book hall to get that feeling here.......You can fix that there. If you have MONEY.

so many parameters indeed.countless.
all will addup.Social decipline.Mutual respect for others comfort(A distant cry.)
How do we measure respect?
So it is hard infact to list/ compare so many paramters,
hence if who ever feels better at the crest ,it matters.
So essence is- feelings and the equation matters!
to cmr
if you are thinking that you can live a LUXURIOUS life with $100k- $200k savings in a metropolitan city in India, forget it.

No way ...
Cannot forget . (However it varies from person to person)
So actually it is not arguement...just my views...

LUXURIOUS life here (of course I am not talking about millionaire here)

Drive daily 70-100 miles.

Visit some friends and get to-gether (try to find old environment we used to back home)

Doing all the routine work yourself (Snow removing, Cooking, Washing and more)

Ready for retirement home after 60 , since your kids are american and they don't wanna spend their lives with old guys.

LUXURIOUS life there.

Have Chauffer driven Car
Have 3-4 servants
Have own Business
Or put your money in Bank and enjoy.

I know of people from France/Canada/UK/Australia/Japan ... the so called rich countries who are in the same boat as us, waiting for the GCs.

The fascination for US doesnt seem limited to the poor countries

Achal

As I pointed equations are the point here and how one percieves it and expereinced the way counts .
I agree money matters in many ways.
The whole equation can be balanced, it seems in your perception
with 'MONEY '.No objection.
(Comparing with money of equivalent level and not lots of money here(of course not in currency conversion terminlogy) some body may feel having peaceful/tranquil existence here).
however it's an individual preferences again at the same time.
in this case the eqaution may not balnce still and need not.!

Achal

How do we measure respect?
Here respecting is not saluting somebody.
Respecting mutual privileges and rights.
Co citizens allowing you to have Peaceful coexistence with out somebody intruding in your existence and at the same time realizing your rights not to be disturbed.

Very interesting..

Bear in mind though attempts at contrasting should be between US on the one hand, and the home country under an imaginary scenario wherein it is equally wealthy.

I think I would love to go back and settle down in my county (my motherland India) for good, but only after earning some good amount of money so that we can give better lives to our children as well as enjoy the luxuries ourselves too.

While we are trying to earn and save some money we have to keep in mind that if at all we want to go back, it should be before our kids starting understanding and realising the difference, else they would not want to go back after certain age. They would fuss about the cleanliness, pollution etc(which is not a big deal, we have lived in that environment for years, and so can they). Plus when its time for them to start understanding the values and our culture, where can be the better place for them to learn, here or back in our own country..?

India is developing too, the major cities have all the shopping malls, fast life, cars, McDonalds, SubWay, Pizza Hut etc, more like what we have here. So what are we really going to miss when we go back. Well one thing that i would miss is the space, the privacy that I get over here, but i think after some time we would have had enuff of this space and privacy and would long for our own people, our own relatives and freinds. So I always keep that in the back of my mind that we want to go back one day and hope
that we will.

Money, Money, Money ...It's so Funny

Sankrityayan,

"Money, Money, Money...It's so funny in the rich man's world"....

Yes sir...Money is the motivating factor for me here. U make money if you have opportunities in life, more money equates to having better career, more money means my kid can have a decent life, more money means I can collect DVDs of my favouritie movies....the list goes on and on and on. Lame and materialistic but hey…. that's who I am.

Having said that there are couple of things I absolutely detest about my home country. Caste, Caste, ohhh..that evil caste. I had to work super hard to get into a decent engineering college because I happened to belong to "UPPER CASTE". I saw SCs/STs getting into my college with no drive to study engineering. They were there because it was "COOL" to be an engineering student. Last but not least I hate my country's politicians who were once upon a time gangsters, rapists, thieves, murderers etc...

Deep down -- I still long to get back to the home country and I know One day I will when I have ----Guessssss What---Yes sir!!!!…. MONEY

Re: Money, Money, Money ...It's so Funny

Originally posted by psinha
Sankrityayan,

"Money, Money, Money...It's so funny in the rich man's world".... Guessssss What---Yes sir!!!!…. MONEY

Isn't that an ABBA number from back in the 70s?

Money, Money Money...

Sankrityayan and wella

You got it right... Loved ABBA. I have them in my collection...thanks to MONNNNNNEEEEY................

I had an opportunity to live in Hong Kong and Singapore before I came here. I was a singaporean GC holder at a time (given up now). Those were the days when the Asian tigers were really roaring and the saving potential there was as substantial (if not more) than the US.

Even then I always wanted to come here to the US. Some of my local friends there also were as desparate as me to come here.

Having also had the opportunity to travel to some other western and down-under countries, I have always felt that US is a very liberal place to live in. The individual freedom granted in the constituition is unparralled anywhere else. (Please correct me if I am ignorant about this fact). Btw, I am strongly in favor of right to bear arms. (We can open a new thread to discuss this)

You do have fast cars, and all the other gizmos everywhere else, but in my opinion, relatively they are much harder to acquire and enjoy anywhere else than the US.

Other than that I had the same reasons for leaving India : money, more opportunities, possibly better life for kids.

However at this stage if I were to leave the US for good, I might go straight back to India rather than anywhere else.

Money, Money, Money....

However at this stage if I were to leave the US for good, I might go straight back to India rather than anywhere else

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am with U on this my fellow country man.....

Originally posted by sachdev
"Janani Janmabhoomitsya Swargadapi Gareeyasi"

The smart thing would be to respect your non indian (and this is an assumption on my part) fellow forumers by either providing a translation, or not engaging in a non-common language in the first place..... oh well, some just cant shred the us vs them mentality...