If your home country was as rich, would you still want to immigrate? please vote!

What makes us rich is exchange rate.
Just ...Just for example sake assume 1 Dollar = 1 Rupee(or your currency) , how many people will live here?

OK in other way also I am happy to go back.
Can you enjoy your life here after saving 100-150K. without doing any work here.
No. You have to work.
But convert it to rupees. It will make a huge amount and you can live in with its interest and doing nothing.

to sd1963,

I just meant oppurtunities are less compared to US but not 10%.
We know lot of people are here on bench. Unemployment ratio is here as well, but less.

Democracy is successful if only if all people are literate. Educated people are not going for votes (jobs etc. reasons) and then we are ruled by some minority goverment. who in turn to save their votes to make specific people happy.

Anyway I sometimes feel myself responsible for current political and environmental scenario (even 0.000000001% responsible is somewhat resposible).

I am also planning to go back, may be after some years.

US migration

Friends,
Worked in India for several years, started - when there were a handful of s/w companies, grew to a senior level (had frequent interactions with US and other countries as part of my job) and came to the US some years back in an executive - technical postion. I came here since I thought I had outgrown jobs in my own country. However I intend to stay here not because of the
richness or the quality of the facilities but because of the respect for individuality that this country offers. Management styles are
different here (which I had to adapt to, since my team consists of people from many different countries and from the US), raising
children is different here (need to get the 'buy in' even for my kids, whereas in India one could push things), everywhere the
individual is respected; the system is such that really every individual - no matter what his nationality/sex/caste/disability is
can get a shot at life.

starbucks

It appears that almost all opinions expressed here are from people of Indian (Asian) descent. All we have heard from our Chinese friends is a Zen-like silence!

I saw in a report the other day (authored by Dominic Wilson and Roopa Purushothaman under the imprimatur of the august firm, Goldman Sachs) that the Chinese economy will overtake the US economy by sometime around 2040. Isn't that something?

Yes; The Indian economy is expected (according to this report) to overtake the Japanese economy in 2032 to become the third largest in the world, behind US and China.:)

Yes that's true here.

I am sure about my kids in schools, coz there will not be any shooting in junior schools.

I am happy that people here will not give you helping hand , with the fear that if something goes wrong we may sue them.

I have to control my several feelings and let it accumulate for years make me psycho.

Here I can see very much efficient organisation like USCIS and love to deal with them.

I can see 0% racism here. Not a single case on that. (Take examples of Indian doctors, getting promotion without any problem)

Every coin has two sides.....................

(to be ontinued....)

Re: I told you,,

Originally posted by Seth_Chamaklal
We corrupted America also. Now 7000 reservations out of 70000 h1-b's. That means less qualifide, pathetic Singaporeans and Chileans.
Check this
10 percent reservation

Oh, do be quiet! I am sure you know how visa numbers are allocated, or how diversity lottery operates. This is nothing new and furthermore, it is difficult to corrupt the Americans any more than they are already.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
>sd1963 its a wishful thinking that you will go back once your >kids settledown or get proper education. Its a very subjective >thing..also by that time you will get used this environment...so I >think it will be very hard to make decision at that point of >time..everyone thinks in the same way as you think but finally >how many go back..that will be good thing to explore..!!

andy2000

may be it is. but i wonder how I will get used to the environment. for me environment is not fast cars and night life( and will never be with no disrespect to those who love them). only thing that might prevent me from going back to india I guess is that I will have nothing to go back to. my family my childhood friends my neighbours. that is environment I am used to for 35 years which I will never get here. but as you said no one knows....

for me environment is not fast cars and night life( and will never be with no disrespect to those who love them).

No offence taken. Only after coming here did I realize that there is more to life than fast cars and night life....:)

cmr

don't know what Indians are

after, but I know Indians have a history of migrating anywhere in the world! from rubber plantation under dutch colony to malaysia, to africa, to gyuana, wherever they could. so historically this has been due to poverty. if you talk about just migrating to the US, then it is a different story there are a lot of other countries whose citizens want to immigrate to this country.
On the contrary I have met bunch of European who don't care to find different countries in the world just for hell of migrating.
Chinese and other SE asians don't fit into above category at all.

You guys do not understand the kind of life you can have in India if you are loaded with money. Ask Ramaliga Raju or Narayana Murthy or Ajim Premji and the likes why they are not coming to America and settleing down here ?

America is an Indain middle class dream. What we cannot see in our life time over there we see it here in less than five years.

According to me motivational factor #1 is money.

592 Views and 34 replies....great response!!

cmr

Originally posted by cmr
No offence taken. Only after coming here did I realize that there is more to life than fast cars and night life....:)

cmr

Aha; one more who got taken in by the glitz and glamour of Hollywood, eh?

"Hollywood has always been an irresistible, pre-fabricated metaphor for the crass, the materialistic, the shallow and the craven." Neal Gabler, quoted in the American Heritage Dictionary.

yes sachdev ,

If you have money you can enjoy in your country.

Migrating to US or any other country is not dream of Tata, Birla or Big B. It is ours . and if I save enough money, I will go back.

At least I will be able to enjoy (really enjoy) my rest 30-40 years of life with old friends and relatives.

yes sachdev ,

If you have money you can enjoy in your country.

Migrating to US or any other country is not dream of Tata, Birla or Big B. It is ours . and if I save enough money, I will go back.

At least I will be able to enjoy (really enjoy) my rest 30-40 years of life with old friends and relatives.

hey achal and sachdev

irony of life is that you have to spend all your energy to earn the money that when time comes to enjoy it you will not have the same spirit that you have now. unless you start deriving enjoyment from the mere fact of earning it and that is what most of us are doing :(

Its really amusing that when I meet any level headed guys they all wish to go back to their home country and settle down. But I found that there is something in Air we breathe and Water we drink here that propels us to stay back and many say that India is our Junambhumi and US is our Karambhumi so what’s the harm is staying back if it makes you content and happy???

Also

Achal… when you say “At least I will be able to enjoy (really enjoy) my rest 30-40 years of life with old friends and relatives…” seems just a dream to me. For by that time our relatives and friends will move on with life with some other new friends..and the same warmth and affection will be missing. It’s a misnomer that we expect that they will remain same. In my seven years stay over here..I have visited India 4times and have seen friends and relatives priorities change and the saying out of site, out of mind holds true for everyone. In this world only your Mom, Dad and Wife’s feelings remain same for lifetime otherwise everything is transient. Am I correct??