If one's advanced degree is revoked due to plagiarism

WBH

Registered Users (C)
I read a news about plagiarism then this scenario come to my mind:

one get greencard thru employment with advanced degree as part of necessary qulification, then become a US citizen.
Then it is foundout that his PhD dissertation is almost a copy and paste from others' work. So the university that awarded
him PhD degree has to revote his degree. In such case, will USCIS go back to revoke citizenship and deport the person?

one get greencard thru employment with advanced degree as part of necessary qulification, then become a US citizen.
Then it is foundout that his PhD dissertation is almost a copy and paste from others' work. So the university that awarded
him PhD degree has to revote his degree. In such case, will USCIS go back to revoke citizenship and deport the person?

It is quite possible that citizenship is revoked if it is found out that you got your greencard by fooling the system. Not a smart move!

You became a USC based on residency, not because of your degree. You can do whatever you want, go ahead tell them you defrauded them! They can't do anything! You have to be a war criminal for them to strip you of your citizenship!
Don't be afaraid...there is nothing they can do now!

Lies

I respectfully disagree with user 'USER2345'. Sure, it is higly unlikely that the INS or ICE will go for a case were the immigrant got stripped of his PHD title. Especially since the immigrant did not lie on the forms when he said he had a PHD - which he had. The statement 'They can't do anything' is simply not true. If you've commited perjury - meaming knowingly and willfully lying in the N400 application - they have the means to revoke your citizenship ! One case that comes to my mind is a guard (John Demjanjuk) in a german camp who said during his naturalization 1958 that he was never a member of the Nazi party got his US citizenship revoked (in 1981). And this years after his N400 got approved ! But the bar is high to have the citizenship revoked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respectfully disagree with user 'USER2345'. Sure, it is higly unlikely that the INS or ICE will go for a case were the immigrant got stripped of his PHD title. Especially since the immigrant did not lie on the forms when he said he had a PHD - which he had. The statement 'They can't do anything' is simply not true. If you've commited perjury - meaming knowingly and willfully lying in the N400 application - they have the means to revoke your citizenship ! One case that comes to my mind is a guard (John Demjanjuk) in a german camp who said during his naturalization 1958 that he was never a member of the Nazi party got his US citizenship revoked (in 1981). And this years after his N400 got approved ! But the bar is high to have the citizenship revoked.

Exactly my point! You have to kill thousands of jews to get your citizenship revoked! Demjanuk's citizenship got revoked not because he lied, that was an excuse. Jews rule in the US...so I guess they got back at him.:rolleyes:
African war lord got his revoked, again.,war criminal.
My point, even if OP went to INS and told them he lied about everything, they still wouldn't do anything to revoke his citizenship!

Is Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg applying for citizenship?

I read somewhere that he is already a dual German-US citizen, but have not been able to find independent verification. Even if that is the case, I doubt that the USCIS will go after him, though. (I am also not sure how he originally obtained US citizenship, whether through birth or naturalization.)