If I pass the N400 interview, can I apply for US passport the same date?

jonny1

Registered Users (C)
If I pass my citizenship interview after the interview is done, can I go to the federal office or post office to apply for US passport the same day? Will I receive the oath letter or citizenship certificate the same day I pass my interview?

Do you need to surrender( give back) the citizenship certificate at the post office or federal office when I apply for passport?

What else do I need?

Thanks

You become a US citizen upon completing the oath ceremony; passing the interview is not enough. So you're not eligible to apply for a US passport until you complete the oath.

Some places have the oath on the same day as the interview, but most don't.

You will need to temporarily surrender the certificate when applying for a passport. They'll mail it back to you separately from the passport.

Where and How do I apply for passport after getting the oath letter and finishing the oath ceremony? Is there passport office in every USCIS office location? I can apply for passport in the same building where I finished the oath ceremony? I know you can apply at post offices too. Does it take2 to 6 weeks to receive the passport after it is filed?
Thanks

zocati enough

Just check the link completely before asking too many questions :)

Also, to be clear USCIS or Dept. of Homeland Security have nothing to do with applying for a passport. Passports are under the Dept. of State. You become a naturalized citizen as soon as you take the oath, not before that. Applying for a passport is optional. You do not "surrender" your naturalization cert., you just submit it as proof of citizenship and is returned back to you in the mail.

Just check the link completely before asking too many questions :)

Also, to be clear USCIS or Dept. of Homeland Security have nothing to do with applying for a passport. Passports are under the Dept. of State. You become a naturalized citizen as soon as you take the oath, not before that. Applying for a passport is optional. You do not "surrender" your naturalization cert., you just submit it as proof of citizenship and is returned back to you in the mail.
what extra charge is that $40? passport office is the federal government office?