Identity theft protection & SSN

justnew

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends,

I know we have discussed a few issues on how to build our credit after getting our SSN but I will like to learn more about identity theft protection

I would like to have information from everyone that can tell me about how to protect oneself from identity theft. I just got an e-mail from a friend whose SSN was stole and used to open several store cards and he his now in debt of over $16000.

How are one tell if your SSN is being used by someone-else and in what ways can one prevent it.

Your sincere contribution is highly appreciated

Thank you

justnew said:
How are one tell if your SSN is being used by someone-else and in what ways can one prevent it.

One of the best ways is to monitor your credit reports. While there are many "free" services that aren't free, there is a government mandated service at http://www.annualcreditreport.com/ By law, the credit bureaus have you give you one free report per year, and this is the site they use to do so.

The best thing to do is to pull a report from one bureau every four months, instead of pulling from all three once a year. Make sure it is accurate.

TheRealCanadian, thanks for your reply I just read the site and got lots of information there

cheers