ID/Driver's License

bringslite

Registered Users (C)
As far as the gvmt-issued ID/DL, is it a must to show an ID with a local address? My DL is from a different state that I moved from to attend school somewhere else, and I plan to return back after finishing(within the next 8 months). I do not want to change my DL since this will affect my residency status (for school purpose) at my original state.

Is it possible to just show proof of currnt residence (i.e. lease contract, school ID) during the interview as a proof of residence in the current jurisdiction?

As far as the gvmt-issued ID/DL, is it a must to show an ID with a local address? My DL is from a different state that I moved from to attend school somewhere else, and I plan to return back after finishing(within the next 8 months). I do not want to change my DL since this will affect my residency status (for school purpose) at my original state.

Is it possible to just show proof of currnt residence (i.e. lease contract, school ID) during the interview as a proof of residence in the current jurisdiction?

Just show your GC and the IO may not ask for DL. But you do need to prepare
what if the IO insist to see your DL

You asked the same question on july 29th.....

So you are from State A, moved to State B for purposes of schooling. In which state are you applying for citizenship? It sounds like you want to apply in state B. But want to keep your ID from state A to maintain your residential status in state A? This makes no sense as your school is in state B.

So you are from State A, moved to State B for purposes of schooling. In which state are you applying for citizenship? It sounds like you want to apply in state B. But want to keep your ID from state A to maintain your residential status in state A? This makes no sense as your school is in state B.

You are correct, but in state B, I am not considered a resident and I pay out-of state fee, but I will go back after I finish (to state A) where I will continue my education and live.

For most government purposes including tuition fees, state taxes, driver's licenses, and even immigration, full-time college students who moved from one state to another to study are generally not considered residents of their school's state, unless they demonstrate sufficient ties to the new state independent of schooling (e.g. giving up a house or apartment in the old state to buy a house in the new state).

For most government purposes including tuition fees, state taxes, driver's licenses, and even immigration, full-time college students who moved from one state to another to study are generally not considered residents of their school's state, unless they demonstrate sufficient ties to the new state independent of schooling (e.g. giving up a house or apartment in the old state to buy a house in the new state).

One of the things that my original state requires for residency is a DL issued at least a year prior.

For most government purposes ...... even immigration, full-time college students who moved from one state to another to study are generally not considered residents of their school's state, unless they demonstrate sufficient ties to the new state independent of schooling (e.g. giving up a house or apartment in the old state to buy a house in the new state).

This is not necessarily true for Naturalization. For N400 purposes students may file where they attend school. In that case school attendance alone constitutes the sole requirement for residency.

"Most people must live in the USCIS
district or State in which they are
applying for at least 3 months before
applying.

A district is a geographical area
defined by USCIS and served by one of
the USCIS “District Offices.”

Students may apply for naturalization
either where they go to school or where
their family lives (if they are still
financially dependent on their parents)."

-USCIS form M476. pp 24.