i485 interview notice and i130 status...?

papillon

Registered Users (C)
Hi. Last month i received the interview request for my i485(it took about 7 months from the initial filing to the appointed interview date - November). I checked other pending case status, which was i130 and it has not been updated since april's initial receipt notice date. I already have EAD. I also filed i102 to replace my lost i94, which apparently lost in the mail (approved and mailed to me but I haven't received).

I have interview coming up in 2 weeks and wondering if anyone has info on how/if i130 status would affect getting the stamp on my passport. i read few people posted that i485 and i130 will be adjusted together at the interview. Is this the correct info? I was hoping to get the interview done and get the stamp on the same day.... Is this not how it supposed to be?

BTW, I filed at Newark office and all my paper got transferred to Missouri(NBC). The process time for i130 at NBC says 3 years backloged(Nov2001) and that is why I am very concerned.

Thank you for any help in advance....

Papillon,

Usually people have their I-130 already approved before the GC interview.
In your case it might be that:
1. you are approved, but for some technical reason, your status wasn’t updated on the Internet, or
2. you are not approved yet and you will find out your status during the interview.

In any case, your passport would be stamped only if your I-485 approved, which might happed during your interview, or, if you go there unprepared and without the additional evidence INS usually asks people to bring to the interview, your case would be delayed and you won’t get your stamp right then.

Thanks !

Thanks, Jane for the quick and clear answer. :D I feel better now that I have more info. I will go to the interview prepared. Thanks again!

Papillon:

Did you file your I-130 and I-485 at the same time to Newark office? I am about to file for my wife in Newark soon. Would like to know what to expect. Thanks.

Kenmw

Yes, I filed using the packet

Kenmw,

Yes I filed using the packet (contains i-130, i-485, i-765, g-325a etc) from INS site. I entered here with F1 but became out of status. few years later (i never left the country during that time) i got married to my husband(usc) and started the filing process in april 04. all the initial finger print, EAD finger print went smooth and quickly and i also checked the online status pretty often. we received the interview notiece in october so it was a month ahead of time. i'm in process of collecting all the necessary paperwork for the interview and rading up what they might ask at the interview. i'm a little nervous because i was out of status for so long but there is nothing i can change at this point so i just cross my finger and everything will go smoothly.

i will post the interview experience after it's done. wish me luck ! and also good luck to you ! ;)

kenmw said:
Papillon:

Did you file your I-130 and I-485 at the same time to Newark office? I am about to file for my wife in Newark soon. Would like to know what to expect. Thanks.

Kenmw

I'll suggest that you should file first I-130 to service center (Vermont? for your case). Get the receipt (will take 7-10 days) and then file I485 package to Newark. In this way, at least 1-130 will get processed faster (Vermont is processing in 2-3 weeks). Otherwise your all application will go to MSC.

do file them together as a package.

MSC only preprocesses them, and they go back to the local office when the local office is ready to process them.

Otherwise - on my personal example - my I-130 will be approved in a month or so at CSC, but my AOS will be pending at the Atlanta office for another 2.5 years (most of which it is spending at MSC and going to ATL when ATL is ready for it). So, there is really nothing the approved I-130 is going to do for me.

Got Stamped yesterday !

:D We had AOS interview yesterday and got stamped on the spot ! FINALLY !!!

Anyway, wanted to share the experience (Newark office)

OUr appointment was scheduled for 11am and we were running a little late, Got to the building by 10:40 but had to wait 10min or so go get through the security check. Went up to 13th floor and went straight to window 2 to hand in my appointment letter. Waited about 1.5 hours and the lady interviewer called us in. Questions were mainly towards my husband(UCS):

what is her(my) parents name
where did you meet
what school did you go to (since we met at college party)
have you met her paernts
did you live together before getting married, how long
did you have wedding ceremony(civil or not)
did you have reception afterwards (asked to show the pictures)
where did you go on your honeymoon

then she asked me:

his dob
what are his parents names
have you met them
where do they live
were all parents present at the wedding(confirmed in the wedding album)

she then talked to us having regular conversation for 5 min or so. Then she pulled out that big red stamp while talking and bam ! stamped !
i was smiling so big that she started to smile. The whole process took about 15 min and we were off. It was painless. we prepared all the ducument that was listed in the appointment letter, made multiple copies pu them in the order. also we went wearing suit. i wanted make sure that we treat this like any other job interview or official appointment.

Anyway, good luck to all !! :D

AOS at Newark

Papillon:

Congratulation....I am glad you can now look forward to a clarm and normal life. I am curious if the out-of-status issue ever emerge? My wife is in the same boat - out-of-status. Oh! Do you put "out-of-status" in the forms where they ask for your current status?

I am about ready to file for my wife...just waiting for the approval letter of my I-130. I got an email saying that it was approved on the 8/Nov/2004. I have the whole package ready to go. Crossing my finger and the letter get here soon and she will have an earlier priority on her I-485.

Ami03 / LucyMO:

Since the I-130 is still pending at that time with VSC and we are taking some time to prepare for the AOS package, I just wrote to VSC to expedite the I-130. Now, the original I-130 is finally approved on 8/Nov/04. I just to wait for it to arrived and I will be sending the package out ASAP. So, close.....almost there.

Thank you all.
kenmw

Left the section blank...

Hi Kenmw;

Thanks! Now I can plan a long awaited trip overseas.... ;)
Anyway, I didn't fill in the current status(I don't think) and left it blank. When I initially consulted a lawyer(didn't use lawyer for the actual filing), she said that I entered this country legally as student so I can probably leave it blank. Interviewer didn't even mention about my loooong overstay.

I can only speak about my experience and others might suggest otherwise.... Also I filed everything together (i-130 and i-485 etc). Like many other said, both get adjusted together at the interview so you technically don't need the approval of i-130 before you file i-485. In any case, as long as you have necessary supporting doc, it shouldn't be any problem. Wishing you best of luck !

Thanks Papillon

Thanks for the details on over-stay issues. We are sending the package out today and we left the current status blank for them to decide. Thank you so much.

From other forum, I know for sure that as long as one entered US legally, over-stay will not be a problem to get his/her status adjusted.

One last question, how long did it takes you to get your EAD? Did you have to get an interim EAD? If so, how long is the valid days of the interim EAD?

Thanks for sharing.
kenmw

Kenmw;

Here is the EAD answer:

>how long did it takes you to get your EAD?
-it took me just about 3 months (applied in april and finger printed soon after then received the card in july)

>Did you have to get an interim EAD?
- no, i didn't have one and i am not sure if they have something like that? (maybe someone can clarify this)

>If so, how long is the valid days of the interim EAD?
-once i received the EAD it'sgood for 1 year (mine was valid from july for 1 year). if you don't get the AOS interview by the year pass, you can file for extension of EAD so she/he can continue to work. i believe you can extend as many years as until you get your status adjusted.

hope this helps...
papillon ;)

received the card !

Just wanted to post an update about the post-interview.

I just received the permanent resident card in the mail 2 days ago ! LESS THAN A WEEK FROM MY AOS INTERVIEW ! the interviewer told me it'll take about 2-3 months in the mail, so it was a nice surprise ! :D

Papillon,

Question about replacement I94? How long did it take from filing i102 till approval? Did you bring it to your interview.

Thanks and Congratulations

Freewill

I-94>>to freewill

Freewill,

About i-94 filing, it took me just about 5 months from start to approval. However, for whatever reason, I never reveiced it! :eek: We recently moved, so it's possible that it was screwed up the postal service but I am still able to receive mails at both address, it remains a mystery... When I called USCIS to inquire about i-94, i had to wait 2 weeks and then had to inquire again since I didn't reveive it, again. I didn't have the replacement i-94 at the interview (couldn't take it with me) but I brought the print out from my USCIS portfolio site. After I was stamped, I was told that I would not need the i-94 to travel outside of the country anymore.

Hope this helps...
Papillon