I485 approved but no passport stamping

npet

Registered Users (C)
I got approval for my I485 and the approval doesn't say anything about the passport stamping. All it mentioned was "your case has been approved the alien registeration card will be mailed directly within 120 days".

Any suggestions?

Thanks

My letter said they would send me my card in 120 days.

BUT I had not had the biometrics done when I got my last EAD. That is signature, index fingerprint and photos. Beacuse of this my lawyer said to go get the stamp because they will have to fill in the I-89 form, which includes the index print your signature and to bring 2 passport photos. SO today thats what I did. I had my infopass appointment. Without it they won't even let you in the door. My spouse and me went in on the same appointment even though I had made 2 appointments.
The agent asked for approval letter, passport, AP, EAD and photos. She took our fingerprint, we signed the form, and she stamped our passports. All in all it took 10 minutes. WHoooo Hooooooo. Now just wait for the card

Index print? Can't they get it from the FP process. Though the stamping wasn
t mentioned in the letter, did they ask anything about it. My lawyer said, "there is chance of refusal too, if so, that should be fine too"

Photo? Is that regular passport size photos (not the side view)?

Ya you need the Biometrics done. This is an index finger print (this has nothing to do with the 10 fingers you got done for the I-485), a signature and front facing photos. If you efiled your EAD you would have been scheduled for an appointment to have your Biometrics done. If you did then yes they will mail you your new Green Card from the information submitted at that time.
Even though my letter said they would mail my card in 120 days and nothing else; the immigration agent didn't even blink. She filled out the I-89 form to get my green card ordered. Then stamped our passports, got us to sign the I-89 form, fingerprinted us and collected the photos, EAD, AP, and approval letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the USCIS number-- They confirmed that nothing further needs to be done. :rolleyes:
If one wants proof for travel etc (or some other reason), then the passport needs to be stamped via an Infopass apptmnt. No photographs etc. are required.

I hope the agent knew the new system well. :confused:

If You Had Your Biometrics Done At Some Point Then No, You Dont Need To Get Your Passport Stamped And They Will Mail You The Card Direct. As I said in my post.
I Had Never Had This Done So Thats Why They Needed Pics, The Signature And Prints. OTHERWISE THE I-89 WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DONE AND WITHOUT THAT IN MY CASE; NO CARD.

I only had the 10 fingerprints for I-485. So they may be making a mistake in the letters they are sending out these days.

I had the same (10 fingerprints) and nothing else after that. May be that's the reason my lawyer was recommeded me to get it stamped. I got the appointment next week through infopass. Let's see.

Is the passport stamp required in your case? I received a similar 485 approval notice

npet said:
I had the same (10 fingerprints) and nothing else after that. May be that's the reason my lawyer was recommeded me to get it stamped. I got the appointment next week through infopass. Let's see.

I-485 Approved - FP

My I-485 got approved on March 22nd,2005. I have filed my I-140/I-485 concurrently. I-485 got approved with-in two months of I-140 approval.
I had to go to a local center to get our finger printing done before the I-485 approval.

Now, my approval letter says that I will get my card with-in 120 days. Nothing mention about another finger printing or biometric. Today (05/31/05) I called to USCIS and talked with a Customer Serv.Rep. He repeatedly told me that I DO NOT NEED TO GO FOR ANY FINGER PRINTING OR BIOMETRIC.
The card processing center shall mail me the card with-in the dead line.

Now, whom should I trust?? The USCIS guy, who works for Govt. or you guys!! Not only him. I talked with another customer serv. rep the other day and she told me the same that I DO NOT NEET TO GO FOR FB,BIOMETRIC IF IT IS NOT ASKED MY THE USCIS. I told them that people are saying that we need to get the Bio done even though the letter does not say so.. He replied, "if and only if we require, we would have been notified you." He told me that in my case, I just need to waite for the card.

Now, I have the question. People are getting their cards pretty soon after their I-485 approval, but my case been approved on March 22, 2005; no card yet. The USCIS rep. also said that he cannot tell me the status of the card, but he can see that my case has been approved and I should get the document soon.

Please, advice if I need to make an infopass appointment and get the stamp done to expediate the process even though the USCIS customer rep. told me not to go and waite for the card !!! :confused:

By the way i got my passport stamped, they took the photos I provided, signature and index fingerprint, and now I get a letter a month after approval saying to do Biometrics. :)
Original letter said case approved and card will be mailed in 120 days.

Go to this link it is very helpful
http://www.rupnet.net/immigration/posts/reply.asp?id=5959

Last edited by a moderator:
485 Approval

I got my 485 approval letter on May 28, 2005. Clearly mentioned therein that, I have to take no action at this time and wait for 60 days to receive the permanent resident card. However, it is also written that if biometrics will be needed, they will intimate me in a separate notice about the date/time and place where I have to go to get the biometrics done. I believe this letter is self explanatory about the proceedings. Moreover, the DHS advised to call after the dead line that is 60 days in my case, if I didn’t received my card or any notice for Biometrics stuff.

Got the Card without PP Stamping! what should i do now?

i received the card even before i did the passport stamping. Would i still need the passport stamping?
I have a valid H1B visa in my passport. Should i go to a USCIS office and have it invalidated? Please Advice.

I had my finger printing done recently: 22 Apr, 05.

140 approval - 21st may,05
485 approval - 26th may,05
Card Ordered - 26th May, 05
Card Posted - 1st June, 05
Card Received - 6th June, 05

Further, the Card was forwarded from my old address where it went. The envelope did not have "Return Service Requested" printed on it as most people say.

That is interesting.
I got I485 approved 5/24/05, and my approval notice reads

"Your application for permanent resident status has been approved. We must complete the process to issue your permenent resident card(I-551). PLease make an InfoPass appointment to visit to visit your local office. When you arrive, your fingerprint and signature will be taken for processing of your permenent resident card.

IMPORTANT: please bring this notice, your arrival/departure record(Form I-94), your valid passport or other government issued photo ID, and two passport style photos that were taken within 30days of your appointment. Use a pencil to lightly print your name and alien number as showin in this notice, on the back of each photo."

I went there with these items and surrendered EAD, AP, original I485 notice etc and got stamp on passport.

Looks like procedure is different per individuals.

485 approval notice

From which INS zone you got the approval notice, is it employment based 485 approval.
Thanks

GotPR? said:
That is interesting.
I got I485 approved 5/24/05, and my approval notice reads

"Your application for permanent resident status has been approved. We must complete the process to issue your permenent resident card(I-551). PLease make an InfoPass appointment to visit to visit your local office. When you arrive, your fingerprint and signature will be taken for processing of your permenent resident card.

IMPORTANT: please bring this notice, your arrival/departure record(Form I-94), your valid passport or other government issued photo ID, and two passport style photos that were taken within 30days of your appointment. Use a pencil to lightly print your name and alien number as showin in this notice, on the back of each photo."

I went there with these items and surrendered EAD, AP, original I485 notice etc and got stamp on passport.

Looks like procedure is different per individuals.