• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I wish the USCIS would cancel the lottery

Hi

I hope I do not offend too many people but I wish the USCIS would cancel the DV lottery

I believe some 50,000 visa's are issued each year, if the lottery was cancelled then these spare visa's could be made available to people who are separated from their loved ones

Family reunification, backlogs etc., should be top priority

Regards Sue

www.expatsvoice.org

I personally believe DV program is very important to diversify the ethnicity, especially in today's immigration trend that majority of immigrant comes from 4 countries.
And also DV program gives opportunity to those who are not qualified to EB based GC. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I repect your views but maybe you would feel differently if your child was separated from the rest of your family.

There are people from all countries already living in the USA so cannot see the need to diversifiy any more. Apart from native red idians all the rest are immigrants or decendants of immigrants

It would not be a bad idea to suspend or cancel the lottery for at least a couple of years, then maybe re-instate.

The immigration staff's time could then be better spent on working on cases that were back logged for whatever reason and concentrate on family reunfication

Regards Sue

www.expatsvoice.org

Dv Lottery

Hi Susan,

I totally agree and respect your idea about cancellation of DV lottery program.While millions of undocumented people living here,know the law,pay taxes,familiar with the system and the goverment brings these people(Some of them don't even know the language) and in couple months they are ahead of you in statu vise eventhough you spent 10-15 years in this country.It is just not fair.It feels like goverment is just ignoring the people living in this country for years and waiting to be PLR.

PD:April 30,01 VSC
RD:March 19,02
ND:April 25,02
Category:EB3
1.FP July 30,02
2.FP June 22,04
1.EAD June 17,02
2.EAD July 08,03
AOS Interview July 22,04 NYC
3.EAD Oct 05,04
4.EAD Oct 13,04
NC,DOB Check Cleared(As per Congressman)
I 485 pending

nbimports said:
Hi Susan,

I totally agree and respect your idea about cancellation of DV lottery program.While millions of undocumented people living here,know the law,pay taxes,familiar with the system and the goverment brings these people(Some of them don't even know the language) and in couple months they are ahead of you in statu vise eventhough you spent 10-15 years in this country.It is just not fair.It feels like goverment is just ignoring the people living in this country for years and waiting to be PLR.

PD:April 30,01 VSC
RD:March 19,02
ND:April 25,02
Category:EB3
1.FP July 30,02
2.FP June 22,04
1.EAD June 17,02
2.EAD July 08,03
AOS Interview July 22,04 NYC
3.EAD Oct 05,04
4.EAD Oct 13,04
NC,DOB Check Cleared(As per Congressman)
I 485 pending

In your record, you complete (pass) your interview on July 22, 04, NC and DOB cleared but I 485 is pending. Why?

nbimports said:
While millions of undocumented people living here,know the law,pay taxes,familiar with the system and the goverment brings these people(Some of them don't even know the language) and in couple months they are ahead of you in statu vise
if your arguing point is undocumented people cut in front of you because of DV program, it does not count, as undocumented people is not eligible for AOS.

The best that people can do by themselves to get GC is employment base. You are lucky to have good education in your country, and you could come here on H1 and could apply for EB GC.
There are a lot more people who can not afford good education and are not qualified for H1 in the world. What is wrong with giving these poor poeple even a tiny chance to come to the US ?

Hi

My husband came to the USA on EB visa

We were to be a job lot, Dad and dependants, mum and children under 21years

The USCIS made mistakes, lost my sons case twice, should be protected under the CSPA (Child status protection act) according to at least 5 different attorneys that I have paid for a consultation.

Yet the VO (Visa office, disagree with them)

My son has waited four years for this dreadful news and now the Consulate say we have to start over as the CSPA odes not apply. We have to file an I 130 The service centre (For Adult children over 21 years) are working on cases received in 1996 so could well be another 10 years, which is unaccetable.

My immigration attorney is writing to VO with letter of support to try and convince them they have not implemented the CSPA expansively (as they are supposed to) and their interpretation is wrong

If that fails our only other option is to go to court on a point of law, the CSPA is badly written and contadicks itself

I have joined with others to raise awareness at www.expatsvoice.org

Regads Sue

ALthogh I understand your situation and you need more visa # for family base. But What i do not understand is why you want to cancel DV program for EB/IR visa#. Why dont you advocate to simply increase IR visa# without hurting others ? Look at the recent bill sitting in cogress. It increases visa# for EB a LOT.

No alternative for DV lottery

DV was a great opportunity for the countries with low migration level. Trully a diversified opportunity to come to the USA. Excepting 10-12 countries, all of the countries of the world were eligible to come to the USA through this process. Highest beneficiaries are African and some European countries.

I wish the number of visas will be increased to 100000 from 50000. In case of other pending cases , its the responsibility of USCIS to appoint more staffs to expedite the process and settle pending issues.

I beleive the Family cases and other categories like H1B are also important , but do you compare student visas with business visas?

I totally agree with JoeF. I read from a reliable source that among the 50k DV lottery winners, it’s only about 9k who do AOS and the rest do CP via the department of state. Apparently, the 9k AOS cases would have a very minimal impact on processing times when all the other cases that USCIS has to handle are consindered.

DV_EU_WIN said:
I agree with Susan. People are waiting in line for the Greencard, it's just not fair that some people can bypass this line (but who says life is fair ?). Furthermore, who ever saids the US needs moore diversity has either never been in the US or is ignorant - the US is already one of the most diversified society. And the title 'Diversity' is really just a cover for the real purpose of the program: More people from Europe to the US, the program is also called the 'Irish program'. The US has currently the real problem that the growth of the infrastructure does not keep pace with the rate of immigration, transportation, energy, water there are lot's of problems. Alltough the lottery does not contribute a lot to the these problems, you've go to start somewhere. And yes I won, but I would really prefer to work in my home country for my current employer ...

DV_EU_WIN, you have your choice, you can always go back.

I played this lottery 7 years in a row, no luck so far. What is annoying about this lottery, a lot of people (at least the ones I know) play this lottery for fun. They win, they come to America, they do not like it and waste the green card(s)...

Are you guys serious!!! For some of us there is no other way to enter the US apart from the DV... Some of you may have other ways of getting into US eg. school, employment, visiting etc. So dont say the DV is not fair becoz its really the only way into US for most people all over the world. Im surprised that some people get the greencard, come over and change their mind. Why? This is the first time im hearing this. :eek:

don't you guys have anything else better to do? things are just like they are and from here you can't change them. It's a lottery, some win some don't, from those who win not all come to US and from those that come not all can keep up the pace.

Hi

Thank you all for your repiles, whilst I do not agree with them all I do repect your views

I was only making the point that there are people already waiting in the system, separated from loved ones through no fault of their own, more like the fault of the DOS, USCIS etc.,

I had no idea that the DV was law, but that could or should be changed (IMHO) I still beleive that people backlogged in the system should be cleared before inviting others to live in the USA. At least they are united with their families

Regards Sue

www.expatsvoice.org

Susan ward

This world is funny. People who have think they should have it all. Imagine someone to think of uscis stopping the DV lottery just because you have relative who are on waiting list. Don't forget there are very many people who would like to come but don't even have a relative here to put them on a waiting list. How would you feel if a US citizen proposed that the gorvment stops all kind of immigration because people take away there jobs.

Hi

I understand what you are saying and I dont think I should have it all by any means , but,

Americans do not want to do certain jobs, thats why there are 12 million odd ilegals hoping to get the guest worker program approved

If the guest worker program is introduced then we can all say goodbye to any relative on a waiting list and our own adjustment of status for the foreseeable future.

The USCIS could not cope and would collapse

The point I was trying to make was that, through no fault of my sons, ours but entirely due to errors, delays by the UCIS my son has aged out

He has already waited four years, now they say start IV over againg and it will be another 10 years, and its their error

Regards Sue
www.expatsvoice.org

susan ward said:
I was only making the point that there are people already waiting in the system, separated from loved ones through no fault of their own, more like the fault of the DOS, USCIS etc.,
Then putting your frustration to DV program is illogical.
I had no idea that the DV was law, but that could or should be changed (IMHO) I still beleive that people backlogged in the system should be cleared before inviting others to live in the USA. At least they are united with their families
DV, EB, FB are all under different system with different quota. Why shouldn't people be invited with DV while EB and FB is clogged ? According to your logic, the US should not issue H1 who is most likely to apply for employment base category GC unless backlog on family base category is cleared. Does it make sense to you ?

Family unity is important, I agree, but as LPR, you(and I ) can not claim it as our right. US immigration authority may argue that you can stay with entire family in your home country. I know it sucks to hear that , but that is what we are who is under immigration privilege, not right.

This is so hateful for those who could not earn it then they blame on innocent people of DV winners that the program itself is not needed. I feel bad for you people. Let everyone live the way they want.

Dont worry about your son being aged out. One day he will get it. Let him live where he is now. You earned what you got for. He will earn it later. I am the first generation in US. My parents didn't pull me here. I got it myself. I earned it. I am proud of myself.

Let the DV winners flow in this diverse land. Let those who once dream of coming to US become their own reality. I am happy for US to make such path of success for those who can have no other means other than DV.

Puking out frustration for a simple cause of child being aged out - lets not put our the anger on innocent lives. It will hunt you one day. May be you are not eligible to apply for DV thats why venting out your frustation. That won't help.

Susan Ward,
I am a first generation DV immigrant beneficiary.I never had the luck or opportunity to have US relatives to petition a case for me with the USCIS.I dreamed that one day i will make it to the US legally and make it.Yes indeed i did make it to the US.I worked for minimum wage, went to an ivy league school, and yes right now i am making a decent living, all in a span of less than six years......All because of the legally enacted DV which has no effect on the other family based cases.
You sound to me like one of those immigrant hating groups who want to have it, and keep it all to themselves simply because you got into the US before any other group.The program should be left to give an opportunity to everyone.I hope you get my point.
I also have a family based petition with the USCIS that is backlogged all the way back to 2002. How will eliminating the DV program, which got me in this situation assist my case to be expedited? I cannot call for the cancellation of the program, rather the faults in the system should be fixed to assist all petitioners......

dv

1. dv is ok, but then why africa receives 20,400? the most and almost 4x Asia

2. dv application should be limited to people who really wants it. too many people do it just for fun.

something is not right with dv