i wanna get married!!

any workarounds?

sertra2002 said:
That is incorrect. You have to have a non-immigrant status that allows for dependent visa to be able to do that(e.g.. H visa). If you are only on AOS and do not hold a H1 visa, then you cannot get your spouse to the US. The only option then is if she has an H1, L1 or F1, as stated.

any workarounds???
i thought this country was all about choice..... :(

kcguy2004 said:
i thought this country was all about choice..... :(

Choice does not happen automatically. Everybody has to fight for it. This country did not become "country of choice" in one day. It took time. May be it's time for immigrant communities to fight for getting rid of these rules which are nothing obstacles.

Lets say I have a GC (wishful thinking). I want to marry someone who is just visiting on a B1/B2 visitor visa. Once married, can she stay here with me legally? What forms do I need to file for her?

pralay said:
Choice does not happen automatically. Everybody has to fight for it. This country did not become "country of choice" in one day. It took time. May be it's time for immigrant communities to fight for getting rid of these rules which are nothing obstacles.

i guess the intent is to force immigrants to "melt into the pot"... :cool:

kjkool said:
Lets say I have a GC (wishful thinking). I want to marry someone who is just visiting on a B1/B2 visitor visa. Once married, can she stay here with me legally?

No, she cannot stay legally based solely on her marriage to you. You can file an I-130 on her behalf in the FB2 category, but you will probably become a citizen before her priority date becomes current.

Would she be legal here while I-130 is pending? Can I file I-485 alongwith I-130 to get EAD and AP for her?

kjkool said:
Would she be legal here while I-130 is pending? Can I file I-485 alongwith I-130 to get EAD and AP for her?

no. she cannot be here in the US.
do correct me if i'm wrong!
:cool:

kcguy2004 said:
no. she cannot be here in the US. do correct me if i'm wrong!

The pending I-130 conveys no benefit on its own; only a filed I-485 allows one to stay legally here, and the I-485 (and the EAD/AP) cannot be filed until the PD for the wife's FB2 case becomes current. As I mentioned, the spouse will probably become a citizen before that happens.

In most cases of an alien marrying an LPR, it makes more sense NOT to file the I-130 at all; bring the spouse in on a dual-intent visa such as an H-1 or L-1 and then file the I-130/485 when the LPR spouse becomes a citizen.

Start new thread....

Guys this is really good topic and anybody should start a new thread like
GC and Marriage.

kcguy2004 : Don't marry just because of GC man......
You should be capable for three things..
1. Mentally,
2. Physically,
3. Financially...

Then jump into that and have fun..... ;)
Good Luck....
Don't forget to invite everybody posting in this thread...:)

kcguy2004 said:
i guess the intent is to force immigrants to "melt into the pot"... :cool:

Law cannot make "melting pot". I don't agree with Pat Buchanan 99.99% times, but I agree with him in one point - it's not melting pot, but salad plate. Most of the immigrants are bounded by their own communities.

Please help me!

Hi gurus

Am an IT working gal from India. On 1999 i met my sweetheart and we are in love since 2001. Now he is waiting for GC in US. He doest want to get marreid before his GC approval.

I have not much knowledge on GC process and i came to know few things by exploring this site. After i started to read this site , i came to know all GC waiting ppl's pain. Am also waiting for his GC approval with same kind of pain.

Process details.

He has got his LC, I-140 and filed his I-485 on july 2003 from NSC. Got FP on april 04.Now he is waiting for GC. He is on same job from 2001 and visited india 2001 last.Afterthat he didnt come to India. Please let me know , if i need to give any more deyails on his case

It would be great if could you tell me how much will this PD Retrogress law affected his case?
When may he get his GC approximately?

God bless us!!
Wish you all the best to breath freedom very soon!.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Richa_K,

I am no expert in these matters, so definitely double check with an immigration attorney... but, you may want to talk to your sweetheart about getting married before his I-485 is approved. It is a lot easier for an immigrant to bring over his spouse before the i-485 is approved than afterwards. And 3 years is a long time to wait before marriage without even seeing your fiance.

The PD date (Priority Date) is the date he applied for his LC. So the PD retrogress will affect him only if his PD is after Jan 2002.

Get Married soon...

If he is EB2 ....don't worry about retrogession..
If you are not able to get married before his 485 approval,
Try to come US on F1 or on H1B.
Good Luck

richa_k

You will have to wait a very long time to come to US as a dependent if you get married after your spouse-to-be got his greencard approval . Only option available to you then will be to come US on a H-1 visa which requires you to get a job offer from US - not easy under present circumstances. Hope you and your spouse-to-be are fully aware of all the facts. He should get his GC in a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Hi all

Thanks a lot for your post.

I have one US offer and my H1B approved . I need to go for stamping.
This offer i got last on August . But the company which given offer is not showing much interest on this recent days.

-->Could you tell me how is market for EAI/J2ee there is US?. Am working on these platform.

-->If i need to come thru' my present company , they will send me on L1 only . Is it possible to get married while i will be on L1 and then can i apply for H1 from US itself?

--> If i come on H1 , should i work there compulsory?
Is it need for GC process , if i get married him over there?

-->Even that company doesn't want me call, can i come my own by using that offer letter?

Thanks in advance

Hey Richa What are you up to?????

You have sweet heart who is in US.
Who does not want to marry you before GC.(even he knows all the factors)
You have got H1B approved. (Congrats).
You are asking market question in immigration forum?

Please post the answers received from your Seetheart to give clear picture of your case to all those Gurus.

Use the H1 offer letter and I-797 approval letter to get the stamp ASAP, get over here ASAP and Get married BEFORE he is approved... or you'll be on your own for next 4-5 years.

--> If i come on H1 , should i work there compulsory?
Yes, but once you get GC through sweetheart by being his dependant, then no.