I need info on MS Nutritional Science and jobs thereafter

cutecouple03

Registered Users (C)
I am on H4 currently. I have a Bachelors in Home science from India. I want to do a course that will help me get a job in US. I have found MS Nutritional Science with the Dietetics internship. I want to know if hospitals apply for H1 for this category. Cz I was told recently that these days becz of the cut in H1 quota , the INS is giving visas only to people with technical degree or experience. Which basically means in the software field. I am really sick and tired of sitting at home doing nothing. I want to do a course that will help me get a job here in US and also be helpful in getting a job in India. My husbands company will apply for his green card after 1 year and then it will take another 3-4 yrs to come through. I dont want to wait that long
Please give me some advice about courses that I can do and will help me get a job.
Thanks

No

cutecouple03 said:
I am on H4 currently. I have a Bachelors in Home science from India. I want to do a course that will help me get a job in US. I have found MS Nutritional Science with the Dietetics internship. I want to know if hospitals apply for H1 for this category. Cz I was told recently that these days becz of the cut in H1 quota , the INS is giving visas only to people with technical degree or experience. Which basically means in the software field. I am really sick and tired of sitting at home doing nothing. I want to do a course that will help me get a job here in US and also be helpful in getting a job in India. My husbands company will apply for his green card after 1 year and then it will take another 3-4 yrs to come through. I dont want to wait that long

H1 is for all and for all field. (4 yrs degree is a must) Computer people consumes most of H1 thats all.
Better option to get a job/H1 and quick green card is go for RN license. You are asssured of immediate job.

Please give me some advice about courses that I can do and will help me get a job.
Thanks

hello

Cute Couple -

You got any infor about MS nutriotion sc. Please let me know. I am interested for my wife. She is also in H4.

Thanks,

MS Nutrion at San Jose State university

AjayKumar said:
Cute Couple -

You got any infor about MS nutriotion sc. Please let me know. I am interested for my wife. She is also in H4.

Fees $ 282 per unit if you are not a CA resident.

Applying to SJSU and the NuFS Department

1. To apply to San Jose State University and the Department of Nutrition and Food Science (NuFS), you need to use the on-line graduate application at www.csumentor.edu/AdmissionApp/grad_apply.asp.

Applications for Fall semesters are accepted beginning in November and for Spring semesters beginning in August. For complete information go to http://www.sjsu.edu/gradstudies/Prospective/How_To_Apply.html

2. Request OFFICIAL college transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions you have previously attended.

Submit OFFICIAL college transcripts in sealed envelopes with your application and $55.00 processing fee to insure prompt processing of your application, or have the transcripts forwarded by the university, one copy sent directly to:

San Jose State University
Graduate Studies and Research
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0025

and another copy sent to:

Dr. Panfilo Belo
San Jose State University
Department of Nutrition and Food Science
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0058

NOTE: You may want to have an additional copy of your transcripts sent to you, for use in application for scholarships and other instances where you need unofficial copies of undergraduate transcripts.

3. Submit a letter of intent to the Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Panfilo Belo, Department of Nutrition and Food Science. Include information about educational background and professional and career objectives.

4. Request that three letters of reference be sent to the Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Belo, Department of Nutrition and Food Science. Two of the three reference letters should be from faculty of academic institutes. One reference letter may be from your recent employer. For recent SJSU graduates in NuFS, submit three faculty names, including the name of your advisor.

5. Telephone or meet with Dr. Belo, (408) 924-3108 to discuss career goals to determine compatibility with program goals and objectives. He will provide information regarding department course prerequisites and/or department examinations, and other admission requirements. Due to the limited Department's budget, please call during office hours which are announced on the phone recording each semester (408) 924-3108. The Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Belo, will not be able to return your phone call if it is outside the 408, 415, 650, 925, or 510 area codes. In general the faculty are not on duty during Summer/Winter breaks, except on designated advising days. Contact the department office at (408) 924-3100 for more information if you need to see an advisor.

After the application and transcripts have been received by Graduate Studies, your file will receive an initial evaluation. If minimum university entrance criteria has been met, your file is then forwarded to the NuFS Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Belo, for program consideration. The total application processing time is approximately six to eight weeks, so you should apply for graduate admission early in the processing cycle (see ADMISSION DEADLINE CALENDAR for processing target dates).

Thanks,

:) Hi

I was in the same boat like you few years back. At present I am doing my dietetic internship. I also came here with a BSc HomeScience degree.I understand your anxiety but don't get discouraged there are lot of opportunites and yes,dietitians do get H1 visa, just depends on which part of the country you are.If you have any more questions I am more than happy to help you.

Dietitian to be

Hi Dear

I cannot tell you, how happy I am to get a mail from you. Well I am at a crossroads right now and i have to decide whether to do MS Nutrition (which I love) or MS Computers (which I hate). I want to know what the job market is like. Do hospitals apply for H1 for dietitians, specially now with the H1 quota reduced.I am currently in California and will most probably remain here. I would really appreciate if you can mail me at the email address below
cutecouple03@hotmail.com
And once again thank u for mailing in

cutecouple03

My cousin's wife also wanted to go the same route but she had an issue with the 3 yr indian degree. They wouldnt give her admission into the MS program but only the BS program.
Eventually she decided to go ahead and pursue her love of Beauty and Cosmetology and enrolled to get a cosmetology license and is now doing a course to get a teaching certificate in Cosmetology.
Have you thought of a way to circumvent the 3 yr degree issue ?
Thanks

That is one major problem

Well in my case I have done a 2 yr post grad diploma but i have sent my documents for validation. Though there are some universities that give credit for the 3 years studies done in India and then may ask you to do the remaining credits to finish the Bachelors degree. So basically its another year of studies to complete the 4 yr degree and then she can apply for the Masters program.You will have to ask the advisors in the college where she plans to apply.

[QUOTE=Kishorbbabu_k:) Hi

Hi,
We recently moved to US. My wife is a dietitain. Could you please let us know, if there any H1 sponsors for Dietitian career. Currenlty We are in
Texas.

thanks,
kishor babu.

If you are in CA, there are opportunities in Bakersfield area.
LA or Orange County not very many H1 sposners for Dietitians.

cutecouple03 said:
I cannot tell you, how happy I am to get a mail from you. Well I am at a crossroads right now and i have to decide whether to do MS Nutrition (which I love) or MS Computers (which I hate). I want to know what the job market is like. Do hospitals apply for H1 for dietitians, specially now with the H1 quota reduced.I am currently in California and will most probably remain here. I would really appreciate if you can mail me at the email address below
cutecouple03@hotmail.com
And once again thank u for mailing in

Hello! I'm glad someone talked about DI and RD here.
I graduated with a BS in Dietetics from a US uni and currently on OPT.
My OPT started from Feb2006, but since most DI starts in fall/spring... my OPT couldn't fulfill all the length for the internship. :( Above the confusion, I did not apply for computer matching this year. However, some people told me that the instituition will grant you F-1 visa while you're on DI(only DI, with no MS). Does anyone here knows that whether you can apply internship with no status? Or do I need to be admitted to a master program in order for me to do a dietetic internship?

Hi,
I've a 3-year BS Degree in Nutrition and Food science from India.
Now,I'm in San Jose,CA,USA.I want to pursue master's degree in Nutritional sciences.But,here in US every university asks for a 4-year Bachelor's degree which I don't have.I'm ready to to move to any place in the entire US for my studies.Where can I take the prerequisite foundation courses to meet this requirement and enter into graduate studies?Is there any other solution to my problem?
Anyone who knew relevant information on this could please mail to me at sravanikonda@yahoo.com
THANK YOU.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will have better luck in smaller no name Universities (but accredited and recognised nevertheless) away from big cities. Try calling them.

Hi,
I got admission in New York's top ranked university..LIU C.W.post campus.I got my degree evaluated by WES and they have reported to the universities I selected that my degree is equal to US Bachelor's degree also,I have 4.0 GPA...That's why I got admission easily in M.S Clinical Nutrition with dietetic internship......Got it...Anyways,thanks for the reply.

Bridge programs

There are a fair number of universities that will accept the 3 year degree, but usually on a case by case basis. See http://www.3yeardegree.com for more information.

There are also BRIDGE programs where you are admitted into the masters program but have to take some extra courses which usually can be completed fairly quickly. One such school is Ashworth University. You need an evaluation of your 3 year degree to enter, and then you go straight into the masters program.

You can google things like three year degree +India +Bridge +Master and see if you find others.

Hi,
I've a 3-year BS Degree in Nutrition and Food science from India.
Now,I'm in San Jose,CA,USA.I want to pursue master's degree in Nutritional sciences.But,here in US every university asks for a 4-year Bachelor's degree which I don't have.I'm ready to to move to any place in the entire US for my studies.Where can I take the prerequisite foundation courses to meet this requirement and enter into graduate studies?Is there any other solution to my problem?
Anyone who knew relevant information on this could please mail to me at sravanikonda@yahoo.com
THANK YOU.

How do I calculate the nutrition facts of my recipe? Now, to calculate a nutrition fact for my recipe do I just add up the servings of the ingredients. Like 1 c flour = x Calories, then 2 c sugar = y calories and then do like x + y = total calories, or how would I do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anyone please share your experience

Hello,

My wife has 3 years Bachelors and 2 Years Master in Dietitian field. We are in San Jose.
Can anyone point me out whether she will be required to do MS degree? Is SJSU is good option?
Where she can apply for Dietitian Internship?

Thanks..

:) Hi

I was in the same boat like you few years back. At present I am doing my dietetic internship. I also came here with a BSc HomeScience degree.I understand your anxiety but don't get discouraged there are lot of opportunites and yes,dietitians do get H1 visa, just depends on which part of the country you are.If you have any more questions I am more than happy to help you.

Dietitian to be
Hey

I'm going to sail in the same boat as you. Can you tell me if getting H1 visa in the states is easy? If possible can you even tell me about the DICAS application?