I Need Help With N-600.

According to the DS-11 passport application form, an SSN is not needed if you don't have one.
Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E) and 22 U.S.C 2714a(f) require you to provide your Social Security number (SSN), if you have one, when you apply for or renew a U.S. passport. If you have never been issued a SSN, you must enter zeros in box #5 of this form.

My dad is a US citizen, I was born in Canada, A long time ago I had a Canadian passport and they brought me here. I been here ever since. All I know is my Canada Passport is expired so I can't even go back if I wanted to. I feel stuck and I don't know what to do because my situation is more unique. I figured my only hope is this N-600.

My dad is a US citizen, I was born in Canada, A long time ago I had a Canadian passport and they brought me here. I been here ever since. All I know is my Canada Passport is expired so I can't even go back if I wanted to. I feel stuck and I don't know what to do because my situation is more unique. I figured my only hope is this N-600.
It seems like you are claiming to have been a US citizen from birth. Was your dad a US citizen when you were born? Was your mother a US citizen too? Were you born in wedlock? What year were you born in? How many years cumulatively was your dad physically present in the US before your birth, and at what ages?

If you are a US citizen you can directly apply for a US passport. There is generally no need to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship first. The evidence for both are the same.

Its still not clear to me which basis you are applying under - born a citizen or naturalized automatically in the US?
to repeat what both of us have said, requirements for applying for US passport and n600 are the same.
what is preventing you getting a new Canadian passport?

What documents do you have? Birth certificate? Your old canadIan passport? Any other formal identification?

Last edited:
My dads is from the US and he had me out of wedlock with a Canadian, he stayed lived in the US all his life. At the time my mother was not a citizen. I was born in 2001.

Its still not clear to me which basis you are applying under - born a citizen or naturalized automatically in the US?
to repeat what both of us have said, requirements for applying for US passport and n600 are the same.
what is preventing you getting a new Canadian passport?

What documents do you have? Birth certificate? Your old canadIan passport? Any other formal identification?
My old canadian passport had got thrown at by the people that deal with evictions.

My dads is from the US and he had me out of wedlock with a Canadian, he stayed lived in the US all his life. At the time my mother was not a citizen. I was born in 2001.
Being born out of wedlock to an American father is a little more complicated, because in addition to the physical presence requirement, you need to show that before you turned 18, the following two conditions are met (unless your father died):
1. You were legitimated, your father acknowledged the paternity, or your paternity was determined by a competent court; and
2. Your father made a written agreement to support you until you turned 18

Do you have evidence of these things?

And you are sure there have been no request for further information? Nothing on the documents tab of myuscis?

My old canadian passport had got thrown at by the people that deal with evictions.

Surely you must have a Canadian birth certificate which you can use to apply for a new Canadian passport if you want to. So there’s no reason to be or feel stuck in the US as a matter of fact.

Surely you must have a Canadian birth certificate which you can use to apply for a new Canadian passport if you want to. So there’s no reason to be or feel stuck in the US as a matter of fact.

this is a very drawn out thread. I asked OP already about a birth certificate and all he answered was that his old passport got thrown out.

this is a very drawn out thread. I asked OP already about a birth certificate and all he answered was that his old passport got thrown out.

Yeah, I noticed OP hasn’t answered pertinent questions you and the other responder asked. Instead, OP keeps going on and on about no update on their N600.

Yeah, I noticed OP hasn’t answered pertinent questions you and the other responder asked. Instead, OP keeps going on and on about no update on their N600.
I'm sorry I am so late responding. Yes I have my Canadian Birth Certificate. How can I apply for a Canadian Passport if I'm in the USA.

I don't know what to do. I think to apply for a Canadian passport, I would have to mail all the required documents. My concern is what if my N-600 processes while the Canadian Passport is still processing and then I need the documents?

Is that in the US?
Of course, consulates are the representation of a country outside its own borders.

I don't know what to do. I think to apply for a Canadian passport, I would have to mail all the required documents. My concern is what if my N-600 processes while the Canadian Passport is still processing and then I need the documents?

rather than ”thinking” what you might need to do, why don’t you either search the website of the Canadian consulate/embassy in US to find out what is needed, and whether originals or (more usually) copies, or call the one nearest you and ask? While you're at it, you can find out how long it takes.

What documents do you think you might need for the n600 that you haven’t already submitted? You did an online application right?

Canadian consulates/embassies do not provide passport issue/renewal services. Passport applications must be sent to Canada, the process takes a couple of weeks.

Here’s the link to Canadian Government Website on how to apply for a Canadian passport from the US. Make a move! Start reading and figure out how to resolve your current “non-Identity” situation.

Canadian consulates/embassies do not provide passport issue/renewal services. Passport applications must be sent to Canada, the process takes a couple of weeks.

Here’s the link to Canadian Government Website on how to apply for a Canadian passport from the US. Make a move! Start reading and figure out how to resolve your current “non-Identity” situation.
Thanks for clarification/correction. Something admittedly that OP could probably have found very quickly in an internet search.