• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I made it! Happy to answer questions...

josh000

Registered Users (C)
I had my interview this morning....I was very nervous as I had to turn up with a damaged passport an even some missing documents (the worst luck!).

I arrived at the embassy in montreal at about 7:30am and there were already a lot of people waiting.

I had to go and ring to get my courier number, as I registered but didn't bring the id number with me. After getting it I didn't have to wait in line again.

Inside by about 8:15am, and my number got called at 9am. The guy was friendly, took my documents and confirmed my details. The photocopies and photos were not needed, they just took the original documents. Order they were in did not matter. I paid and came back, and then waited to be called again.

I didn't wait too long, maybe 20 mins, then I saw a different officer and was sworn in, and answered some more questions. The guy was extremely friendly and told me that I pretty much had it, and just to mail in the missing stuff and it was no issue at all.

While I didn't get approved as such today, I was essentially told in no uncertain terms that I will be when I mail in what was missing.....it's an amazing feeling.

I know I've asked a lot of silly questions on this board so if I frustrated anyone I apologize, and would simultaneous like to thank everyone for their input.

If anyone has questions I will help as best I can..

Congrats Josh000 and thanks for sharing your experience. I am a 2013 DV winner and I am planning to do consular processing in Montreal. Therefore your experience may be helpful to me. To start with could you please list the documents that were missing? What document did the CO gave you asking to complete your case; Were you denied the visa under 221g?
Thanks for your reply.

Fantastic news Josh!! Congratulations.

I hope everyone gets to feel what you are feeling today :)

All the best in the US.

Qewty

thankyou all :)

Congrats Josh000 and thanks for sharing your experience. I am a 2013 DV winner and I am planning to do consular processing in Montreal. Therefore your experience may be helpful to me. To start with could you please list the documents that were missing? What document did the CO gave you asking to complete your case; Were you denied the visa under 221g?
Thanks for your reply.

I was missing a police check, my birth certificate and my education requirements.

I was quite concerned about the education requirement as I didn't finish high school, but they only want proof of your highest degree, so I will forward them a letter about my masters and that's all.

I was refused under 221g, and he gave me a piece of paper listing the documents I needed to forward and how to do so.

The biggest advice I could probably give is just to relax...they are very easy going and relaxed and if there is a problem they are very understanding about it, at least in my case.

I would also advise getting to the embassy early...I got there at 7:30 for an 8am interview and did not have to wait too long..., but getting there even earlier would get you out a lot quicker as well.

It was overall, a very positive experience.

Hah, congratulations.

Did they even mention your damaged passport? Are you still getting a new one?

They said that if trying to cross the guards probably wouldn't like it...that's about it. No big deal was made of it and I was told to just mail in my new one.

I think I was lucky perhaps in that my passport was valid, but not valid for travel to the US because it was an emergency passport. Even if it was not damaged I would have to get a new one.

Overall I was just relieved at how understanding they were.

Cool. You're in Canada, which also makes things a lot easier, I guess. You're not Canadian, though, since you qualify for DV, eh?

Good luck with your move.

thankyou all :)

I was missing a police check, my birth certificate and my education requirements.

I was quite concerned about the education requirement as I didn't finish high school, but they only want proof of your highest degree, so I will forward them a letter about my masters and that's all.

I was refused under 221g, and he gave me a piece of paper listing the documents I needed to forward and how to do so.

The biggest advice I could probably give is just to relax...they are very easy going and relaxed and if there is a problem they are very understanding about it, at least in my case.

I would also advise getting to the embassy early...I got there at 7:30 for an 8am interview and did not have to wait too long..., but getting there even earlier would get you out a lot quicker as well.

It was overall, a very positive experience.

Thanks for your reply. I am sure you will make it as the documents the consulate is requiring from you can be obtained easily. Please keep us posted if there is a change.

Sheers!