• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

i m 2009dv winner... I can open a banking account in the USA, like foreigner???

robediente

Registered Users (C)
I can open a banking account in the USA, like foreigner, while I wait for the date of my interview, and simultaneously, that account would serve as sample as monetary capacity to be able to go to live to the USA?

To open a bank account in the U.S you need a Social Security number. Unless you already have one from the past, they usually don't allow you to open one. Some bank would allow foreigner without SS# to open a bank account only if you have the appropriate visa or permit. For example, F1 visa with I-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
To open a bank account in the U.S you need a Social Security number. Unless you already have one from the past, they usually don't allow you to open one. Some bank would allow foreigner without SS# to open a bank account only if you have the appropriate visa or permit. For example, F1 visa with I-20.
Sorry, you are wrong. You can open an account at e.g. BoA or Citi with your passport and a secondary ID like a credit card. No SSN is needed or any other visa. We did it way before we got the GC.

ok, it is a good idea open an account at the mercantil commerce bank?? and make a deposit about 20.000 $... and use that at the interview?

if you put down $20,000, do som research on the bank.. NOwadays, some banks are not doing good and you never know when they go under. Though it is insured by FDIC, it's better not to go into such trouble if you can avoid.

ok, it is a good idea open an account at the mercantil commerce bank?? and make a deposit about 20.000 $... and use that at the interview?

If I were you, I would go with big and well known bank in US such as Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc.