• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I have applied for DV2012. Possible DV2012 - F1 conflict?

EEngineer

I have applied for DV2012 during November 2010. During that period I decided that I want to pursue a postgraduate degree in US (Spring 2012). My initial thought was that if I get the green card, while been admitted to a university, I will have the advantage of moving more "freely" inside the country (possibly get a job and pay for school) as well as the opportunity to get a scholarship more easily. Sounds perfect, right? Well...
Now that I am researching my options more thoroughly I came to understand that by applying for the DV visa I kind of jeopardize my chances for my alternative scenario (that is the F1 visa)!! This is because F1 is a non-immigration visa.
My questions are:
Does an application for DV lottery mean that I have officially declared immigration intention? Does my application for DV lottery affect my F1 in anyway? Does the local embassy (that will interview me for F1) have access on the DV lottery application data? At this point my priority is pursuing my post grad degree what should I do???

PS. The DV lottery results come tomorrow, fingers crossed… or not??? :confused:

I have applied for DV2012 during November 2010. During that period I decided that I want to pursue a postgraduate degree in US (Spring 2012). My initial thought was that if I get the green card, while been admitted to a university, I will have the advantage of moving more "freely" inside the country (possibly get a job and pay for school) as well as the opportunity to get a scholarship more easily. Sounds perfect, right? Well...
Now that I am researching my options more thoroughly I came to understand that by applying for the DV visa I kind of jeopardize my chances for my alternative scenario (that is the F1 visa)!! This is because F1 is a non-immigration visa.
My questions are:
Does an application for DV lottery mean that I have officially declared immigration intention? Does my application for DV lottery affect my F1 in anyway? Does the local embassy (that will interview me for F1) have access on the DV lottery application data? At this point my priority is pursuing my post grad degree what should I do???

Hi i'm here with F1 too. I was told, by my school, that my F1 status will not be affected by applying to a DV lottery. BTW, DV results will be realeased on July 15th.

@wishwish
Well done! congrtas on your F1! I know tomorrow is gonna be a long day.
I am in the process of preparing to apply for my MSc, hence I am wondering (when i get admitted in a program) if I should apply for F1 or DV...
*BTW the day after tomorrow i am taking GRE.

"We expect the results of the new selection process to be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011."....that is what the official website is stating!

You expressed immigration intention only if
1. you got selected in DV2012 and
2. sent your selectees' forms to KCC.

So if you got selected on May 1, 2011 and you sent your forms.
You indeed expressed your immigration intention.

My questions are:

My questions are:

I agree with huangjs

You only tell them your intent IF you win the DV and IF you already applied for the DV processing.

The reason is because in the forms, they ask you if you've ever applied for a US visa, and have you ever been denied a US visa. entering the lottery is not sufficient enough to be considered as 'intent' to immigrate. jmo. you can consult your university's international student office or the US embassy

Thank you all for your responses!
As judasgaga has suggested, I should try to contact the local embassy and ask them before I take the next step.
PS. No, I wasn't selected @ May 1st

If you were not selectees,
don't even worry.

Many of my friends got visas after applying DV2012.

That won't be the reason for the visa denial.

Thank you all for your responses!
As judasgaga has suggested, I should try to contact the local embassy and ask them before I take the next step.
PS. No, I wasn't selected @ May 1st