• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I have a second citizenship

Studio

Registered Users (C)
I have a second citizenship with which I won the dv 2010. Could this be a problem in the interview. Also can I be able to sponsor myself, my wife and three kids if I have up to 30,000 euro in my account OR must I have a sponsor sending me affidavit of support.

If you have sufficient funds to support yourself, your wife and your kids you shouldn't need a sponsor.

I'm not sure about the citizenship part of your question, as far as I know being a citizen of two different countries doesn't hurt your application. Where were you born? What country did you put down on your DV-Application? If you put down the wrong country this could be a problem for you though.

As I will like to self sponsor, would anyone have idea how much that will be enough for a couple and three kids

search google for the poverty guidelines in the State you plan to live in when arriving in the USA and check the amount of people going with you....

I have a second citizenship with which I won the dv 2010. Could this be a problem in the interview. Also can I be able to sponsor myself, my wife and three kids if I have up to 30,000 euro in my account OR must I have a sponsor sending me affidavit of support.

I think 30,000 euro is enough for a family of 5. i'm in the same situation and i've managed 20,000 pounds which i think is equivalent to about 30,000 dollars. Check here for the poverty guidlines table. One thing I'm not sure is whether they will use 100% or 125 against us.

When processing immigrant visa (IV) involving the use of the form I-864 or I-134 (affidavit of support), applicants are supposed to use the 125% of poverty. This is the minimum requirement to obtain an immigrant visa (IV). The 100% refer to those active members of the U.S. Armed Forces sponsoring their spouses and children.

In the issuance of a visa, the officer may consider certain factors (totality of circumstances) including the applicant’s age, health and education. An applicant can be deny the issuance of visa if the person appears likely to become a public charge despite meeting the poverty guidelines. However, one should not dwell too much on the “totality of circumstances” to serve as basis for meeting the poverty guidelines.

So basing our calculation on the 2009 poverty guidelines, you should have an amount of $32,237 for a family of 5.

For DV Lottery, the 'country of changeability' become tricky if you have multiple citizenship.
If you have put down the wrong country in your original DV application, even you have won , you will be in trouble at the consular or AoS interview.

Normally , the correct country of changeability is the country in which you were born (but there are some exceptions to this that you may want to check)

As a rule of thumb, one need to be very careful if you plan to indicate a different country (than where you were born) as your changeability in a DV application, if you have only acquired citizenship in that country later in your life.

PS: Citizenship and 'Country of Changeability' are completely 2 different concepts in US DV rules and the latter is the more important when you apply for lottery and if you win, when you complete your next set of paperwork and at interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
When processing immigrant visa (IV) involving the use of the form I-864 or I-134 (affidavit of support), applicants are supposed to use the 125% of poverty. This is the minimum requirement to obtain an immigrant visa (IV). The 100% refer to those active members of the U.S. Armed Forces sponsoring their spouses and children.

In the issuance of a visa, the officer may consider certain factors (totality of circumstances) including the applicant’s age, health and education. An applicant can be deny the issuance of visa if the person appears likely to become a public charge despite meeting the poverty guidelines. However, one should not dwell too much on the “totality of circumstances” to serve as basis for meeting the poverty guidelines.

So basing our calculation on the 2009 poverty guidelines, you should have an amount of $32,237 for a family of 5.

Your post describes it very well....125% is what you need to lok at for a DV case and than search the State you are going to live, since some State require a higher amount.
If you barely can show the funds to proof you have the required amount, and do not speak English at all, barely make the job requirement, and have no other proof, then it might be something the person taking the interview can balance it either way...so better be on the safe side...you basically have one shot to get the GC and you don't want to risk that chance.

The OP has enough funding for a family of 3....