I have a citizenship application question

fi44fi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My question is: I have been legal resident for 7 years. I want to apply for citizenship but I had an arrest exactly 4 years ago which there was a warrant on me for 26.32 dollars and when I was pulled over by a police officer for 5 miles over the speeding limit , I found. They took me to jail. I was so depressed at the time that I told the police officer that I had enough cash on me and I paid there and they released me , and they took my finger prints and everything.
Now that I am trying to get all the documents together I am worrying to the fact that how this thing will affect my citizenship application.
Any information is appreciated on this..

Hi,
My question is: I have been legal resident for 7 years. I want to apply for citizenship but I had an arrest exactly 4 years ago which there was a warrant on me for 26.32 dollars and when I was pulled over by a police officer for 5 miles over the speeding limit , I found. They took me to jail. I was so depressed at the time that I told the police officer that I had enough cash on me and I paid there and they released me , and they took my finger prints and everything.
Now that I am trying to get all the documents together I am worrying to the fact that how this thing will affect my citizenship application.
Any information is appreciated on this..

I am not exactly getting what you said but it seems you don't haver any convictions because there is no court proceudre involved. You just owe perhaps government $26.32 and you paid them. Ifd that is the case, I
don't think you have anything to worry about because there is no conviction
at all. But you still need to answer Yes to the "ever been arrested" question and write a letter that should be much clearer than your post.

I apologize

I missed out some information on my initial post. I had a bad check incidence of $26.32 I meant. I was arrested and paid the bond same day, but on my records it shows that I went to jail and released the same day. When I called the court few days later , they told me that I didn't have to go to the court and the case was dismissed. It was so embarrasing for me that when they said that I didn't go and the case was dismissed. At this point I don't know if this is considered to be criminal, misdemeneor or else.. Thoughts?

Am I not supposed to send all the documentation?

On the instructions it tells to send all the proofs before even called for interview. I just wanted to get some idea that if I had to wait 5 years like everybody is mentioning on the discussion board.. I call this incident as unluckiness because if I had a bad intention I wouldn't have wrote a check for 26 dollars at a grocery store. I didn't get any warning letter to pay the returned fee and such either until I was pulled over.
How an IO would use this information? I don't know if I even need an immigration lawyer.

My personal opinion: No matter when you file your citizenship application, you have to mention it. So, do it now and get over it. It is also better to do it now before there is another unexpected traffic violation that might put more stain on your good character. Answer yes to the section for arrest and then note that you attached a explanation sheet and write there in detail (make sure not to confuse USCIS with too many details). During the interview, you will get a chance to explain what happened. That is the best bet for you I guess.