I hate USCIS!! They returned application, because of insufficient FEE!!

disciple, are you saying that they have sent your application after cashing your check?. Your tracking indicates your check was cashed on 08/02/07. Clarify, please.

disciple,

Its very strange that even though they received your application before July 30, they have sent it back. The instructions in the "Press Room" section of the USCIS website clearly states that applications postmarked before July 30 can use the old fee.

In your case they even received the application before July 30th.

In my case, I sent my N400 on July 20th and they received it on July 23rd. My Service center is TSC.

Are you planning to contest this in some way, by sending them proof of your mailing? (and delivery). Did you mail by Certified mail? (With return receipt?)

Perhaps it was insufficient fee, not because of the fee increase on July 30th, but perhaps because disciple forgot to send the biometrics fee, or any other kind of issue. It would be very strange that this had to do with the increase in July 30th. We need clarification.

Cross Hairs & MS400

The signature is correct. I sent our application on July 10th with two checks for $400 each. My checks were cashed on August 2nd for $400 each.

The letter I got from the USCIS for my wife and myself states that our applications were received on July 11th. Our priority date shows as July 11th.

In the letter, they have said processing is suspended due to insufficiient fee. They were expecting an additional $275 per person.

I called USCIS and the lady siggested i set up an infopass appointment to set this matter straight. I have one set up for next week.

Regards,
disciple, are you saying that they have sent your application after cashing your check?. Your tracking indicates your check was cashed on 08/02/07. Clarify, please.

Sorry to hear that. Did they send the application backand want you to re-submit? Or Do you just need to send the check for $275 additional fee?. I'm guessing a lot of us are going to be in the same situation.

Inbelievable

This is indeed shocking!!!! This means rather than processing applications USCIS may be busy trying to return all the thousands of N-400s filed in July....no wonder nobody has heard anything yet in the last 3-4 weeks on checks front. But I still can't believe that this is happening. Something is seriously wrong....

disciple,

Did they send you a colored cover letter?. It seems that that including the cover letter in the response expedite the mail to reach the concerned IO. If they send mine back, I think, I am just going to send the excess fee. If I take a infopass I need to go to atlanta. That will cost me more.

from USCIS site:
"Notices for additional information or clarification mailed from the Service Center will contain a colored cover sheet to be used in responding to the notice. In all cases, responses to a notice must include the colored copy of the notice on top of the response to ensure that the response is directed for review in a priority manner."

I mailed on 26th Jul to Laguna niguel, a GC petition for sibling+family just to beat the fee increase. It was sent CMRR and delivered by USPS on 6th Aug. I never got the return postcard and my check has not been cashed yet.
I never used certf mail even for my own N400. USPS delivered the mail late in this case. But USCIS is worse, they are now opening mail from Aug 7th and they haven't processed my check yet. I will get some ombudsman involved if they return the appl, since the postmark is Jul 26th.
The worst part is my sibling wasn't even interested in the first place and they could get the employment based GC faster!!

I got two of these one for my self and one for the wife. Here is the scan copy. Maybe you guys can see something I am missed...

Regards,

disciple,

Did they send you a colored cover letter?. It seems that that including the cover letter in the response expedite the mail to reach the concerned IO. If they send mine back, I think, I am just going to send the excess fee. If I take a infopass I need to go to atlanta. That will cost me more.

from USCIS site:
"Notices for additional information or clarification mailed from the Service Center will contain a colored cover sheet to be used in responding to the notice. In all cases, responses to a notice must include the colored copy of the notice on top of the response to ensure that the response is directed for review in a priority manner."

I'm sure they will agree that it's a mistake on their side. You will end up paying your time and effort.

I they they have some instruction to mail documents/fee for a case that's currently under processing.
"If a case has been improperly rejected, you should resubmit by Double Bagging and indicate on the inner bag ''DO NOT OPEN IN THE MAILROOM" . Mail to the Attention of Noel Watts, CPAU Supervisor."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=52a46c854523d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

let us know how it goes. good luck.

This is legal terminology and probably grounds for a court hearing. This is not a minor issue. I mean consider how many people apply...millions. So publishing this information is about legal terminology for when new regulations and laws take effect. I'm sorry, but you don't have much compassion considering that USCIS did publish this memo for a legal a reason, not just to be "generous."

Agreed! and this is where the lawyers step in :) arguing where there is ambiguity!!
Actually, I feel the fee increase should exempt applications postmarked before the 30th; seems clear from the terminology in the memo.

I got two of these one for my self and one for the wife. Here is the scan copy. Maybe you guys can see something I am missed...

Regards,

Disciple,
You are correct. Nothing wrong with your app.
This is a mistake by USCIS. Have you done an Infopass?

How did your Infopass go?

Hi disciple,

How did your Infopass go?
Did the USCIS admit to their mistake?

What evidence did you produce to support your case and what did they tell you to do to correct their mistake?

I think your response will be very useful to others in the same boat (I know there were some others with the same problem)

I got my N-400 returned as well

I got my packet returned today (Aug 31) for insufficient fee.

Mailed to CSC on July 28 by Priority Mail Certified. The USPS postmark on the return package shows there was a delivery attempt on July 30. Finally got delivered on August 1.

If there are sufficent number of cases like this, we can take joint action.

3cpo,
I suggest you send an email to the uscis ombudsman on Tuesday, search on the net for the link. Your postmark is proof that you qualify for the old fee. Also the TSC filing address page has instructions for what to do for cases like yours but CSC doesn't have it.

Some good news from my side: My I130 petition for sibling, mailed to CSC on July 26th(delvd on Aug 7th) finally got the check cashed on Aug 31st!!

The front of the check is empty but the WAC # on the reverse is for a 130 with recvd date of Aug 30. I hope that is someone else's case since my PD should have been Aug 7th. But am not complaining. ;-)

I got an InfoPass appt

I was able to get an InfoPass appointment for Tuesday (Sep 4) at the San Francisco.

I will keep everyone posted.