I hate USCIS!! They returned application, because of insufficient FEE!!

thrix

Registered Users (C)
I sent application by certified mail on Jul 24th and it was postmarked on that day. I checked tracking # and they received it on Jul 30th. They send it back today, because fee was to low and they demand $460 for N600!

I hate them.

Yes, it seems they made a major blunder with your application. N-600 is handled by local office, so perhaps they are less aware of regulations than a service center.

July 30 is when the new fees became effective. USCIS goes by when an application is received, not when it was postmarked. So yours was subject to the higher fee.

I'm so sorry!

July 30 is when the new fees became effective. USCIS goes by when an application is received, not when it was postmarked. So yours was subject to the higher fee.

Actually Jackolantern,

You would be incorrect on this point. The memos are legal and if you read them they say:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/FeeReminder23Jul07.pdf

"WASHINGTON—U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reminds its customers that the agency’s new fee schedule is effective on Monday, July 30, 2007. Applications or petitions postmarked or otherwise filed on or after that date must include the new fee."

This memo does not say new fee will take effect when they receive the application.

So this is not a mistake on the part of the applicant. What I would do is mail your application again with the new fee, but include a letter and a copy of their memo with a copy of your initial envelope showing that they made a mistake. This is my two cents. I would write to Ombudsman Office as well or send a similar copy of your documents and letter. You may also include a copy of the receipt from the post office for the day in which you sent your application. I'm so sorry this happened to you.:(

Best Wishes in your application process!

-Jedi.Knight

Their normal practice for everything else is to go by when it was received. Apparently for this round of citizenship they are more generous. But the person who opened the mail on the 30th probably was thinking of the usual rules.

This is legal terminology and probably grounds for a court hearing. This is not a minor issue. I mean consider how many people apply...millions. So publishing this information is about legal terminology for when new regulations and laws take effect. I'm sorry, but you don't have much compassion considering that USCIS did publish this memo for a legal a reason, not just to be "generous."

While it is true that this is a mistake by the USCIS, unlucky people who are affected still have to go through the hassles of dealing with this. Thats sad.

This is legal terminology and probably grounds for a court hearing. This is not a minor issue. I mean consider how many people apply...millions. So publishing this information is about legal terminology for when new regulations and laws take effect. I'm sorry, but you don't have much compassion considering that USCIS did publish this memo for a legal a reason, not just to be "generous."
Whatever the reason, it is still "generous" when compared to their usual callous and careless treatment of immigrants. Typically they have been strict about dates, denying applications for green cards or other visas because they were received after a given date, regardless of the postmark. That sometimes causes people to wait a year or more to become eligible to apply again.

In this case, the worst thing that could happen is having to pay a higher free and a delay of a couple of weeks. If you want to talk about compassion, why don't you have some for those people who had to wait a year or more, or leave the country, or lose their job, or spend thousands of dollars on an appeal because of a stupid USCIS mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also consider making a issue about it in the local media.
Offer your story to the newspaper or tv stations or all the above.
Really lay it on thick if they cover you!

Offer to get on camera and call the Whitehouse and tell the switchboard operator your problem and ask to receive a response from the President or the Press Secretary, that would make good press coverage. :) Ask them how can you put any faith in the Executive Branch after this incident.
Or even call up some of the press that cover the Whitehouse, maybe they'll take up your case and bring up the fact that the USCIS has a lot of screws loose and the Whitehouse has failed.

Just a few thoughts.. think it through, you'll probably be better off just paying otherwise you risk them throwing your file into a back room for 30 years.

My take is that the postmark may not be clear. You will need to provide proof of having mailed it before 30th July. My opinion file a new one with the higher fee and pursue a parallel action to get refund of the difference. Don't delay your application.

Jackolantern,
Just because others have suffered, does not mean this person does not need any empathy. Everyone deserves empathy when they have been unfairly treated.

Stamp is printed, not stamped and date is in excellent condition. Certified mail receipt was also printed by USPS. I mailed money order and they send it back, but it's already endorsed by USCIS and I can't cash back.

Can I just add 2nd money order? I'm so confused by them.

I sent application by certified mail on Jul 24th and it was postmarked on that day. I checked tracking # and they received it on Jul 30th. They send it back today, because fee was to low and they demand $460 for N600!

I hate them.

My app was mailed on 7/26 and it was delivered on 7/28 Saturday afternoon. On the return receipt it says Received date of 7/30. Now I'm not sure what will happen and what date they will consider. So far checks are not encashed and there is absolutely no news. Welcome to the BLACKHOLE.......

You are now a US citizen, raise a stink about this, that's what America is all about :)

Yeah, get creative, put up a billboard on a highway, post a website, ask for a congressional investigation be made on the overcharges of the agency. Write your congressman, both senators. Try and get on a radio program and bitch about it. Get mad. Think of yourself as the bull that they've messed with, and give 'em the horns.

I think, they made a mistake. You should call USCIS customer service and talk to them. This is from murthy.com.

"If the I-485 filing is postmarked prior to July 30, 2007, the old fee can be submitted. If the I-485 is postmarked on July 30 or later, the new fee applies. With the USCIS announcement that was made late July 17, 2007, however, the USCIS has agreed to accept the earlier filing fees for all employment-based I-485 cases that were eligible for filing during July 2007, and that are now being accepted through August 17, 2007. "

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_staiss.html

It seems that USCIS clarified this in the past.

"As mentioned in previous website updates, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has increased its fees for all types of immigration applications and petitions. According to the new fee regulation, any application or petition mailed, postmarked, or otherwise filed, on or after April 30, 2004, will require the new increased fee. The USCIS has recently provided additional clarification regarding the new fee regulation. The USCIS has indicated that if it receives a filing on or after April 30th in an envelope that is postmarked before April 30th, the agency will accept the old filing fee."

http://www.masudafunai.com/eng/lega...MONTH=5&F_YEAR=2004&aid=7&F_KEYWORD=&a=&cid=2

The Nitwits

:mad: They send mine back on Firday for insufficient fee. My application was received July 11th and has a priority date of July 11.