I got my H1-B to TN I-129 approval, what next?

OttawaSenators

Registered Users (C)
I got my H1-B to TN I-797A approval, what next?

My employer has received my I-797A approval with an I-94. My H1-B finishes on 11/12 and the TN status kicks in on 11/13. When I travel after 11/13/2011, what should I do upon entry? Will CBP require the original petition sent to USCIS? Any word of advice is appreciated. Also my Canadian passport expires in 11/2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
On 11/13. you put the new I-94 in your passport, and advise your employer that that is your new status, filling out a newe I-9.

The next time (after 11/13) you enter US, you simply show them your passport with your new I-94, and they will decide if they wish to give you a new I-94 or not (its optional for them).

A good practice is to stick the information stub (the one beside your new I-94) in the last page of your passport. No need to bring any other paperwork. Passport expiry date doesnot matter.

Thanks nelsona. I remember from some threads in the past that some POEs have a tendency to issue an I-94 that expires when the passport expires. I am not sure if this also applies to CIS approved TNs.

Well, lok at your new i-94. It expires in 2014 no reason for CBP to change this. But if they do -argue like hell -- and then simply get another I-94 after you get new passport.

Just got a copy of my employer's TN petition (already approved by USCIS) and the employer's lawyer wrote a section in it called "Temporary Position: Corporation X has not offered Mr Y a permanent position in the US. No labor certification application or I-140 immigrant petition has been filed on his behalf. It is Mr Y's intention to return to Canada at the conclusion of his 3 year TN assignment with Corporation X."

Was this necessary?!! Could this be harmful in the future if I apply for GC? What is wrong with these lawyers going beyond what's needed?!!

the language is not necessary, but it is also not relevant. do not worry. there is no impact.

Agreed. Meaningless jibber-jabber to make them feel that they earned the money for something you could have done yourself in 20 minutes.

Thanks nelsona and gunt. What bothers me is that they are making a claim on my behalf that I'll go back to Canada at the end of 3 years! It's a good thing there is no signature of mine on the petition LOL!

Update

Here is my update and I'd like your opinion to see if I'm in the clear:
My H1-B's I-94 in my passport had expired. However my H1-B status expired on 11/12 and the new TN started on 11/13. I took a trip to Canada right before 11/12 and came back to the US on 11/8, just a few days before H1-B expiry. The CBP officer issued a new I-94 for H1-B that expired a few days later i.e. 11/12. He said the new TN will automatically kick in on 11/13.
Here is a tiny concern I have: the TN I-94 that came along with the TN approval uses my old I-94 number (the one before 11/8). Could that be an issue? Would I have any problems if I cross the border now and come in with the new TN approval?

If the TN I-94 was issued by USCIS for start on 11/13, then regardless of what I-94 you had at that time, by last action principle, you bacame TN on 11/13, with the I-94 that was issued on your approval notice.
Stick that one in your passport and you are golden.