I found out what delayed my case !

is it legal for anyone organization to make you a party to any civil case without your authorization?I mean you do have to sign something.

Bottomline is this:

If you got the class action letter,
1. If it is genuine, and you opt out - then maybe it helps ur Namecheck! process? Who knows? It may help, but no one can say for sure.

2. But, to opt out, you need to provide above info. I am not willing to provide that!! If there is a simple opt out process, then YES - u can opt out just to help ur "namecheck"...but there is no simple opt out.

So, the only option seems to be "belong to the class action" and "hope namecheck is not delayed"...

Frustrating or what?

Frequently asked questions:
http://www.ccfsettlement.com/faqs/

What are my options?(top)If you made a transaction (purchase, cash advance, cash withdrawal or internet transaction) in a foreign currency on a Visa-, MasterCard- or Diners Club-branded credit, charge or debit/ATM card issued in the United States at any time from February 1, 1996 to November 8, 2006, you may be a member of the Settlement Damages Class. Members of the Settlement Damages Class may (1) ask for a refund and/or object to the settlement, OR (2) request to be excluded from the settlement.

If you do not request to be excluded from the settlement, you will be bound by the settlement and you will release certain claims against the Defendants.

If you held a Visa-, MasterCard- or Diners Club-branded credit, charge or debit/ATM card issued in the United States as of November 8, 2006, you are a member of the Settlement Injunctive Class. If you are not also a member of the Settlement Damages Class, you may not ask for a refund or request to be excluded from the settlement. You may, however, object to the settlement.

Please note the following deadlines:
Deadline for asking for a refund: 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, May 30, 2008 (deadline for filing on-line, for post-marking your mailed claim form, or for faxing your claim form).
Deadline for asking to exclude yourself from the class: 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, February 14, 2008 (deadline for post-marking your mailed opt-out form, or for faxing your opt-out form)
Deadline for objecting: February 14, 2008

So, deadline for postmarking the form and sending opt out is tomorrow Feb 14, 2008 (Valentines day)

Ladybuggy -

I request you to change the title of the original post - make it "Does Class Action Lawsuit affect namecheck process?"

It will be helpful if we search in future, rather than the current title...thanks.

Ladybuggy,

Easy:
1. Go to your first post on this thread
2. Click the "Edit" button
3. after u get to edit screen, click 'Go advanced'
4. Change the Title field and save.

Can u try this?

OK let me explain one more time how my Lawsuit which I didn't know anything about until I got a check from the United States of America Federal Commision came about.
A few years back, I could honestly not tell you even the year I recieved a creditcard in the mail that was ALREADY ACTIVATED. You know how you have the APR Charges and others when you open certain creditcard accounts .... well they were already added to it. So available credit was like 20 bucks because it was a 250 limit card.
I at that time had a capital one creditcard and I remembered that I had to call a # that was on a sticker attached to the card to activate the card so this sounded fishy to me.
I called then this company which was supposed to be Premier something but got transfered to someone else. They said you applied then and you activated it then and so on. So I said if you can give me within a week proof that I did that I will accept it. If not you either cancel the card and shove the charges up to your .... or I will contact JAG here onpost and we'll get something going legally.
Well a week went by and I didn't hear anything from them so I called them back. I told them that I didn't get anything and they told me they had sent it out that day I first initially talked to them. I said I don't care. The week is over and you cancel the card or I get dressed and go to JAG and wham .... they cancelled the card.
Now years later .. never got a letter to fill anything out, never got a letter saying I am involved in this Lawsuit or my Name was involved ... ANYTHING ... NO IDEA ....
This had nothing to do with Visa, Mastercard or who ever. This was a foney company applying for a card under your name and then send it to you already activated and even some with charges on it. I got lucky that besides the APR and another charge there was nothing else on the card charged.

So .... If you get a letter from Visa or Mastercard or whatever it might be different from what I went through since mine was a foney company. Capital One or other major creditcard company's are not so don't compare a letter to my situation. Your case might now be like mine. I didn't mean to scare anyone. I just thought I would share it

ladybuggy,

i fully understand. the letter many of us got is not from visa or mastercard. it is from some darn lawyers (supposedly) who are filing a class action lawsuit AGAINST visa,m/c etc.

we will take ur experience as a datapoint, nothing more. but i am trying to explore other info here as well.

i hate when i get letters saying "You are part of class action lawsuit UNLESS you opt out"...Like heck, i should opt in if i want...dont include me in it without asking me!!!

I did try it but it wouldn't work. When I go under advanced it shows the new title but when I go back to the Forum I see the old title !

Dont panic unnecessarily

Hi LadyBuggy, Thanks for sharing your experience with us as always!!

Hi all, I have received many "you are part of a class action lawsuit" letters over the years, from ATT, Microsoft, Visa/Master, etc. etc. I just shredded them all without thinking much about it.

I don't think I had ever got stuck in name check. FP was done on 4/4/07 and I was interviewed on 10/3/07 and finally going to my oath next week. :)

There is no need to panic!!!!

Mimi - hope we all have the same experience as you did.
Thanks for posting :)

If others around, pls post such smooth sailing experience like Mimi and help us all calm down :)

I am sorry if I caused panic here. It was never my intention and I never thought this would cause such an "uproar". I am very sorry :(

I am sorry if I caused panic here. It was never my intention and I never thought this would cause such an "uproar". I am very sorry :(

Dont worry! Ladybuggy - we are happy you gave us this datapoint. Only when people provide this info, we even get to know. so thanx 4 it

Please educate us, Ohio1960

I have to agree with Citizentobehz. You guys are running wild with this issue of credit card transactions. Civil matters are of no consideration when its comes to naturalization. A credit card civil suit will effect your naturalization as much as a low credit score would::::: no effect whatsoever...

We would like to know on what ground that makes you think a credit card civil suit has no effect whatsoever on naturalization? You sound very experienced and well educated on such issue. Please share your experience and educate us a little so people on this board won't be running wild.

Lawsuit

I think cases that has FBI involvement are the ones that are problematic. I am assuming that people (names) involved in such cases are in FBIs database and the name check fails in first attempt (manual process delays the check). I am guessing.

I think cases that has FBI involvement are the ones that are problematic. I am assuming that people (names) involved in such cases are in FBIs database and the name check fails in first attempt (manual process delays the check). I am guessing.

But Ladybuggy does not have any activities that "FBI may be interested in" from what she says! And she says her name is "unique"

And she says her name is "unique"

If I said my Name is unique I meant to say it is NOT unique. Let's put it this way. Between no arrest record here or in Germany, no involvement in any crime EVER and my Name the Name Check in my personal opinion should not have taken 10 month.

What it all comes down to at the end of the day is that none of us really know what they check and how "deep" they search. GhantaBro might have it right. This kind of involvement could get you the "hit" you don't expect and they have to go personally into your file. We just really don't know what happens after we submit the N-400.

I can see why we have skeptics, worriers and the ones who just don't care at all but I realized that no matter how many "pages" this thread will become we will never ever come to a conclusion because we just send in the Form and hope and pray for the best meaning a fast result and no setbacks !