• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I can't tell if I need a police check for where I live now??

josh000

Registered Users (C)
I'm an Aussie living in Canada for about 8 months, which will have been 10 months at the time of my interview.

I can't tell if I need a police certificate for Canada or not.

The page only mentions countries other than my country of nationality where i have lived for more than 12 months.

Info from my Embassy states:
NOTE: An applicant must present a police certificate from his/her country of current residence and country of nationality, if residence in such country exceeds 6 months

Although that info has not been updated since 2010.

I have not lived in Canada for 12 months so from what I can tell I would not need one. Should I ask the embassy directly?

I'm an Aussie living in Canada for about 8 months, which will have been 10 months at the time of my interview.

I can't tell if I need a police certificate for Canada or not.

The page only mentions countries other than my country of nationality where i have lived for more than 12 months.

Info from my Embassy states:

Although that info has not been updated since 2010.

I have not lived in Canada for 12 months so from what I can tell I would not need one. Should I ask the embassy directly?

play it safe, get the police certificate

Curious - Did you move to Canada after finding out you were selected? Or had you planned all along to go to Canada and the US DV GC just happened?

Hi,

I am an Aussie, but was living in the UK at the time.

I thought i remember reading (when i was going through the process) that a cert was required for any place you have lived 6 months or more.

They could have changed it, in any case if unsure email/call the embassy where you will be doing the interview and ask them.

Play it safe.

AJK

At least for the montreal embassy, I was told I will need a police check for canada. No information was given if it was related to the amount of time I have been here, or simply because it is my current country of residence.