I can't tell if I need a police check for where I live now??

josh000

Registered Users (C)
I'm an Aussie living in Canada for about 8 months, which will have been 10 months at the time of my interview.

I can't tell if I need a police certificate for Canada or not.

The page only mentions countries other than my country of nationality where i have lived for more than 12 months.

Info from my Embassy states:
NOTE: An applicant must present a police certificate from his/her country of current residence and country of nationality, if residence in such country exceeds 6 months
Although that info has not been updated since 2010.

I have not lived in Canada for 12 months so from what I can tell I would not need one. Should I ask the embassy directly?

jayo2k

Registered Users (C)
I'm an Aussie living in Canada for about 8 months, which will have been 10 months at the time of my interview.

I can't tell if I need a police certificate for Canada or not.

The page only mentions countries other than my country of nationality where i have lived for more than 12 months.

Info from my Embassy states:

Although that info has not been updated since 2010.

I have not lived in Canada for 12 months so from what I can tell I would not need one. Should I ask the embassy directly?
play it safe, get the police certificate

JESSJAMES

Registered Users (C)
Curious - Did you move to Canada after finding out you were selected? Or had you planned all along to go to Canada and the US DV GC just happened?

ajk

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am an Aussie, but was living in the UK at the time.

I thought i remember reading (when i was going through the process) that a cert was required for any place you have lived 6 months or more.

They could have changed it, in any case if unsure email/call the embassy where you will be doing the interview and ask them.

Play it safe.

AJK

josh000

Registered Users (C)
At least for the montreal embassy, I was told I will need a police check for canada. No information was given if it was related to the amount of time I have been here, or simply because it is my current country of residence.