I became a proud US Citizen today

fine&jadwin
never mind, i just tracked your situation from the previous threads...
you are applying for a green card
i have a different case: us citizenship
thanks

Rahul,

When you applied for passport, did you have send in the original citizenship document?

You had mentioned something about overnight delivery. Do you pay extra for that or do you buy the overnight envelopes and give it to the passport processing office?

Also, I heard that you are not allowed to make copies of the citizenship document? Is that true?

Thanks

raj1d said:
Rahul,
When you applied for passport, did you have send in the original citizenship document?
First time passport applicants must apply in person. Yes they take your ORIGINAL Cert of Natz to send to Regional Passport Service Center
raj1d said:
You had mentioned something about overnight delivery. Do you pay extra for that or do you buy the overnight envelopes and give it to the passport processing office?
I had to buy overnight envelopes (I got USPS express mail). I got two of em. One to send from town clerk's office to Passport Center and other from Center to me.
raj1d said:
Also, I heard that you are not allowed to make copies of the citizenship document? Is that true?
Thanks
Thats true. However when asked for by the US Govt (CIS or State Department) the law exempts these.

"Although the law prohibits duplication of naturalization certificates, certificates of citizenship, and Permanent Resident Cards (formerly known as Alien Registration Cards and commonly called “Green Cards”) for some purposes, that prohibition does not apply to making a photocopy for submission to the USCIS in conjunction with an application or petition."

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/hdiorig.htm

Rahul Kumar said:
I applied for my Passport Today at the local passport acceptance facility (Town Hall). Paid $145 (expedited processing) + $27.30 (I had to get stamped USPS Express Mail). Expected in two weeks.I was unaware that I had to get two way overnight labels, I assumed If I paid them they would take care of it... Well ;)

I also got my International Drivers Permit (IDP) from the local AAA office. It took a record 5 minutes to get in and out. USCIS, are you listening ?

Rahul,
I also had used expedited processing. They are supposed to issue passport within three working days not counting the day of receipt by them. under this exp pro.
Mine was issued on 2 nd working day.

I am cofident you will get it delivered to you latest by 4 th working day , not counting the day of receipt by them. That effectively makes it passport delivered to you on 5 th working day including the day you mailed the application.
Let us know how it goes for benifit of all.

Radni,

I did see the note where it said that exp'ed passports will be processed in 3 business days, I kinda argued with the clerk about this but she was taught to say nothing but "2 weeks. please sign at the bottom, is that cash or cheque... " hehe

Will keep ya posted..

For a second now I feel a bit 'naked'. My GC is taken away. My Cert of Natz has been sent for documentary proof for passport and Im not supposed to make a copy of it.. What proof do I have right now to prove I am a USC or even a former GC ? I dont even hava a stamp in my now invalid Indian passport !!! WouldBeCitizen, your Immig God and Paranoia have done me in!!

Rahul Kumar said:
Radni,

I did see the note where it said that exp'ed passports will be processed in 3 business days, I kinda argued with the clerk about this but she was taught to say nothing but "2 weeks. please sign at the bottom, is that cash or cheque... " hehe

Will keep ya posted..

For a second now I feel a bit 'naked'. My GC is taken away. My Cert of Natz has been sent for documentary proof for passport and Im not supposed to make a copy of it.. What proof do I have right now to prove I am a USC or even a former GC ? I dont even hava a stamp in my now invalid Indian passport !!! WouldBeCitizen, your Immig God and Paranoia have done me in!!

Did you make a copy of your GC (though its not valid) ? :D I guess you are an illegal alien for a few days?? :rolleyes:

phillydude said:
Did you make a copy of your GC (though its not valid) ? :D I guess you are an illegal alien for a few days?? :rolleyes:

haha rahul dont worry, I will sponsor you as soon as i get my citizenship ( one day ) dont u worry about green card or naturalization certificate.

Rahul Kumar said:

Huh? Instead of thanking me for getting Citizenship, you are blaming me. You are the one who has been evading me since you found the ball moving. Now that you are again in hotwater, immigration God is where to turn to!! Man you are hopeless. Now the ball is in MY COURT. I will ask the Imm God to hold your passport for a few days to initiate a 'my passport experience' document from you :) ROFL

When I posted the same thing about the passport application after I sent it, Phillydude said that my parnoia has not gone off yet. Yeah, when you stand in my shoes (Rahul is in them now!) you will know! For me the lady who took the application did not even give me a reciept and disappeared inside the office, making me press the bell a dozen times and then appeared and said "what else do you want?" Such a rude behavior and I called post office next day to complain only to be assured that everything has been OK. And guess what? I got my passport in NORMAL PROCESSING in just two weeks! Yup the lady did an A$$ job with me but good job with sending the application. I even posted on this very group asking what if the passport *AND* the Natz certificate are lost in mail and I will have nothing to show. JoeF I think said that you just tell everyone that you are a US Citizen and they will beleive you! Ah, is that so simple?

Till your passport and the Natz paper comes back you will have tough time dealing with your tension! Cool off buddy, all will be well. And hey do not blame me. You DO OWE me pizza party. The farther you try to run away, the more pestering you will get from me :) For more info, read my sign file below. ROFL :)))))))))))))))) :D :D :D :D :D

Rahul,

First of all Congratulations. You have been persistent and your effort has paid off, esp with name check. After looking at your timelines and posts a question I have is how to expedite the interview scheduling. Can you share with us what was your process towards that? Did the Congressman’s office/ the St. Albans District Office directly help with that.

P.S. Are you based out of VT?

Thanks & Regards

I had been in touch with the St Albans DO for a long time and they were understanding to my plea. So when my namecheck showed up (which was blocking the process) they went ahead and scheduled me. Yes I moved to VT in '03 from PA

Thanks for the quick reply Rahul. :)

So the DO has some leeway for scheduling the interview as compared to it being totally driven by the (V)SC? Can we say that once name check is approved the DO takes over and schedules interviews & oath ceremonies.

Also do you know once the SC sends the name request check to FBI, what is the process? Pardon my limited knowledge, but I believe the FP approval comes back relatively soon and all USCIS needs for interview scheduling is the name check approval. Right?

Would appreciate some detail if you could.

Many Thanks

Interviews are handled by DO's ONLY!
SC sends request to FBI. Once FBI is done it uploads the info to "USCIS Central Administrative Facility" from where the info is visible to all SC's and DO's.

After FP the only check is namecheck (there is another one called IBIS). Some DO's interview with namecheck pending some dont...

R

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

i am new to this forum and so i never exchanged messages with you but i probably read nearly every one of your posts and they have been INVALUABLE (both for thier content and for the perserverance they displayed)... i hope you check up on us once in a while...

and again, congratulations!!!!.... party hard!!!... i know i will too when i am a CITIZEN!!!...

Got my passport

Good News:
I got my new US passport in 3 working days.

Bad News:
Some Idiot misspelt my name and put a L instead of K! I have to get it corrected. :mad:

I almost was about to give my vote to the US State Department but they screwed up!!!

Anyways, after dealing with the CIS dealing with these guys is a walk in the park so I dont expect any complications

Congratulations Rahul, I’m so happy for you, yes I agree 100% the person that messed up your name must be an idiot other wise he would’ve got it right. Wish you all the best.
Mazzystar did you every get that name check cleared? I’m still hoping to get mine cleared, I’ll pray for us :)

Folks,

Wish you happy citizenship day! 20,000 new immigrants became USC's today...

There was a link on the CIS site for jobs and I found a posting for an adjudicator in VT. I had half a mind to apply... hehee ;)

Enjoy

Passport Timeline

Applied for US Passport 9/13
Boston office recd application 9/14
Passport issued 9/15
Passport received 9/16 (Name was misspelt on this!)
Passport resent to Boston 9/17
Boston office recd application 9/20
New Passport reissued 9/20
Passport in my hand 9/21

I sent the package by Fedex with a return postage paid.

I am really really impressed with the State Department. They are AMAZINNG. Shame to deal with their anti-matter - CIS!