I-9 form needed after Naturalization?

PerpetualGC

Registered Users (C)
I called HR (Humanoid Resources) at work and asked if I need to provide an updated proof of eligibility to work now that I am a US Citizen (prior to that it was GC and they have an I-9 (right name of form?) on file for me for that. The I-9 form has checkboxes for all the usual categories (Citizen, non-citizen national, GC, et. al.).

Humanoid Resources told me they don't need an updated one... I find it strange. Should I complete an I-9 and send it to them or what? This is a big big company, so I assume they know what they're doing...

(on second thought, an employment verification letter I requested once had my birthday as my employment date, making me appear to be a very bright toddler (wow, he could write software when he was 1 year old)...

I called HR (Humanoid Resources) at work and asked if I need to provide an updated proof of eligibility to work now that I am a US Citizen (prior to that it was GC and they have an I-9 (right name of form?) on file for me for that. The I-9 form has checkboxes for all the usual categories (Citizen, non-citizen national, GC, et. al.).

Humanoid Resources told me they don't need an updated one... I find it strange. Should I complete an I-9 and send it to them or what? This is a big big company, so I assume they know what they're doing...

(on second thought, an employment verification letter I requested once had my birthday as my employment date, making me appear to be a very bright toddler (wow, he could write software when he was 1 year old)...

Then, you would be called PerpetualSE (software engineer) :D

When I updated my info with my employer earlier this week, the HR asked me to fill a new I-9 form and submit a copy of my Certificate of Naturalization.

When I updated my info with my employer earlier this week, the HR asked me to fill a new I-9 form and submit a copy of my Certificate of Naturalization.

That is a no-no. The employer CANNOT ask for a copy of naturalization certificate for I-9 purposes. I am surprised, being that your firm is a "big big" one.

That is a no-no. The employer CANNOT ask for a copy of naturalization certificate for I-9 purposes. I am surprised, being that your firm is a "big big" one.

Well, the certificate was used for the purpose of proving the need for status update. For the I-9, I checked "US Citizen" and provided info for two ID's: DL and SS card.

Then, you would be called PerpetualSE (software engineer) :D

Our HR is too busy laying off people so their skills on hiring-related paperwork may have gone rusty :eek:

Sign me a Perpetual Coder (C++/QNX/Win32/GUI)

Well, the certificate was used for the purpose of proving the need for status update. For the I-9, I checked "US Citizen" and provided info for two ID's: DL and SS card.
Your HR department then is a bunch of idiots. Nowhere does the law state that you have to revalidate the I-9 form after getting citizenship. The only time that an existing employee needs to revalidate an I-9 is if the previously submitted evidence of employment authorization had a limited validty. Assuming you went through this process when you got your greencard you have already demonstrated that you have a permanent employment authorization.

Your HR department then is a bunch of idiots. Nowhere does the law state that you have to revalidate the I-9 form after getting citizenship. The only time that an existing employee needs to revalidate an I-9 is if the previously submitted evidence of employment authorization had a limited validty. Assuming you went through this process when you got your greencard you have already demonstrated that you have a permanent employment authorization.

Actually, the HR person is not an idiot! I did not update the info when I got the GC and so the old I-9 had an expired EAD as evidence! But then again, he should have done his job well by putting sticky notes on I-9's with expriring work authorization or at least inspecting the files every now and then.

In fact, he is a nice guy!!! :)

I agree.

There are 2 wrong things that your HR dept is doing.
In fact one is illegal. You could file a laws suite, if you choose.

First, Naturalization Certificate is not a valid document for I9 purpose. You cannot use it either as List A, List B or List C document.
Second, it's illegal to ask for any specifc
document from either of the list. Employee can choose what documents to submit (as long you submit all the documents required by the combination you choose).

Hi Free,

I am updating my I9 today and all I am using is SSN card and DL.
Don't have PP yet.

I guess the HR in most of the places don't deal with GC turning into USC. Even my HR wasn't sure if they need me to provide any USC specific doc in absence of a PP.

Hi Free,

I am updating my I9 today and all I am using is SSN card and DL.
Don't have PP yet.

I guess the HR in most of the places don't deal with GC turning into USC. Even my HR wasn't sure if they need me to provide any USC specific doc in absence of a PP.

Right, as long as you continue to be eligible to live and work in the US (under GC), HR would not care anymore...

But in my case, I did not update the info once I become permanently eligible (GC holder), so a proof of USC status was needed to warrant such an update.
In fact, had the HR known that my i-9 file needed an update, he would have requested me to update my work eligibility over the last 5 years. But for some reason, he did not.

But in my case, I did not update the info once I become permanently eligible (GC holder), so a proof of USC status was needed to warrant such an update.

You need no proof. Once you are a US citizen (or Permanent Resident), you provide proof of identity and an unrestricted SS card and that is it.

When I became a USC, I also changed my name. Because of the name change, I had to update the I-9 at my university, so I presented an updated DL and an updated SSN card. However, for other university purposes (not for employment), they requested my naturalisation certificate and a name change court order.

Here is the question: if a university needs to update a student's status in their system, what kind of documents they can legally request? As far as I understand, they don't have to follow the I-9 rules because it is not employment-related.

++i or i++ ?

hmmm....are you sure you got your iterator initialized correctly, software guy? If your birthday was your employment date, wouldn't you be writing software when you were zero years old i.e. from the day you were born? :)