I-751

shemous

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I've had a conditional green card (through marriage to a USC) since June, 2007 and it expires in June, 2009. I left the US to finish my study in Turkey in Aug, 2007 and came back to the US in July, 2008. The border officer believed my story and let me in.

So having stayed outside the US for 11 months with no visits to the US, I thought I would have to wait one more year before I could apply to remove the conditions on my GC. But I recently received a letter from USCIS that notified me to go ahead and file I-751.

I'm just wondering what is going on with my citizenship and removal of conditions on my GC.

Also I'm planning to go to Turkey again in May for 1.5 months and I'm wondering if it would cause me any trouble in terms of getting back into the US since I will have spent 13 of my 24 months outside the US during my conditional residency.

Thanks in advance,
Sehmuz

there is no problem to remove conditions. You still have to do it same time. i dont know about citizenship. I guess you have to wait there.

Take a Re-entry permit for any stay over 6 months out of USA and you should be good. And you should file your I-751 irrespective of how many days you have lived in USA 90 days before the 2 year anniversary of your conditional green card.

Hi,

I've had a conditional green card (through marriage to a USC) since June, 2007 and it expires in June, 2009. I left the US to finish my study in Turkey in Aug, 2007 and came back to the US in July, 2008. The border officer believed my story and let me in.

So having stayed outside the US for 11 months with no visits to the US, I thought I would have to wait one more year before I could apply to remove the conditions on my GC. But I recently received a letter from USCIS that notified me to go ahead and file I-751.

I'm just wondering what is going on with my citizenship and removal of conditions on my GC.

Also I'm planning to go to Turkey again in May for 1.5 months and I'm wondering if it would cause me any trouble in terms of getting back into the US since I will have spent 13 of my 24 months outside the US during my conditional residency.

Thanks in advance,
Sehmuz

Thanks for your helpful responses. I had a reentry permit when I was in Turkey which is still good until Aug, 2009. There was something weird though at the port. The port officer didn't like the fact that I stayed in Turkey for 11 months and asked me what I did there and what I was going to do in the US. Anyway, hearing that I was admitted to grad school in the US, I was in Turkey to complete my education and seeing my American wife and son, she let me in. She told me sth like if I did it again or if I left again I might lose my GC. She stamped the visa page on my travel document and my passport and wrote "ARC" on the "class until" section. Now I'm wondering what that meant and whether it is safe for me to go to Turkey for 1.5 months during the summer break with the one year extension document of my GC with my son.

Also how do I find out whether I broke my residency during that 11 months of my studying in Turkey before I apply for naturalization?

Appreciate all of your very generous help.

Sehmuz

Also how do I find out whether I broke my residency during that 11 months of my studying in Turkey before I apply for naturalization?

Appreciate all of your very generous help.

Sehmuz

You did break your continuous residency, therefore you won't be able to apply for 5 years (3 if you're going to file through marriage to a US citizen who lives with you) since you reinstated your residency. Of course I assume that you won't have 180 days out of the country on a rolling 365-day period.

But I kept strong connections to the US. Main bank account here, applied to grad school and started it after I got here, didn't get a job there and went there to complete the last year of college. I thought those could make a difference. I'm just wondering how I can determine that for sure, so I can tell when i can apply for naturalization the soonest.

Anyone know anything about "ARC"?