I-751 few concerns before mailing the app

barista

Registered Users (C)
As most of the active members of this forum suggested (that this is one of the easiest form to be filled) we decided to file the form by ourselves and not to hire lawyer.Here are few of my concerns that i would like to share w/u and any suggestion is welcome:
1. Do we need to make Affidavit of support(i-134) .
2. It is ok if one of the people that will sign the notarized letter for proof of our marriage is green card holder.
3.Do i need to send any originals of my documents for proof of bona fide marriage or i can send photocpoies of everything(bills,vehicle titles,registrations,credit card...)
4.It is a problem that we still did not file the taxes for 2007(i will mail the form in 2-3 weeks and i am not sure if i will complete all paperwork to file 2007 tax returns..But i still have 2005 and 2006 .
4.Do i need to send copy of my passport or just copy of my green card.
Thx in advance.

1. I don't think so. You don't need Affidavit of Support for I-751. The Affidavit of Support you only have to file is when filing I-130 and I-485 and it's valid for 10 years. (You're supposed to have done so almost 3 years ago)
2. Yes, the notarized letter of proof of your marriage can be written by either USC or Legal Permanent Resident.
3. Send only copies. At a later time the USCIS officer might want to request originals. DO NOT send originals nor certified copies. USCIS discourage that for an orignal submission. Keep all originals at home in a safe place and it's also advisable to make a copy of everything you mailed with your I-751 application.
4. It shouldn't be a problem. You have time to file tax returns until April 15th. But I'm not sure about this point if you're filing your I-751 later by mid Feb or March. You might want to wait to file your I-751 once you've filed your tax return... However, let's wait for some other replies on this forum about this matter.
5. I don't think so. I-751 instructions say you ONLY need to submit a coppy of your green card (form I-551) front and back plus evidence of relationship. No mention of passaport is stated on instructions. However, let's see what other people on this forum have to say on this matter, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
As most of the active members of this forum suggested (that this is one of the easiest form to be filled) we decided to file the form by ourselves and not to hire lawyer.Here are few of my concerns that i would like to share w/u and any suggestion is welcome:
1. Do we need to make Affidavit of support(i-134) .
2. It is ok if one of the people that will sign the notarized letter for proof of our marriage is green card holder.
3.Do i need to send any originals of my documents for proof of bona fide marriage or i can send photocpoies of everything(bills,vehicle titles,registrations,credit card...)
4.It is a problem that we still did not file the taxes for 2007(i will mail the form in 2-3 weeks and i am not sure if i will complete all paperwork to file 2007 tax returns..But i still have 2005 and 2006 .
4.Do i need to send copy of my passport or just copy of my green card.
Thx in advance.

Read AGAIN the instructions for filing the I-751 pls.
1. In which part of the instructions or the form states so? none.
2. By instructions they require that the people who signed affidavits MUST BE US Citizens or US Residents.
3. In which part of the instructions says states so? They actually state that IF you send originals they would keep it and you won't have them back. Very well done photocopies are good to go. BTW you NEED to keep your original registration car as per law on most states inside your car you know...
4. No, there is no a problem on it. You DO have to include the tax returns of 05/06. Now, if you think you can finish your returns and at least have a copy of your tax returns before mail it, you can do it. Many people received their tax information in different dates...so not necessarily you will have everything you need by the time you must file the I-751.
5. Again, by instructions it is a MUST to send a copy (front and back) of your green card.

Good luck,

Read AGAIN the instructions for filing the I-751 pls.
1. In which part of the instructions or the form states so? none.
2. By instructions they require that the people who signed affidavits MUST BE US Citizens or US Residents.
3. In which part of the instructions says states so? They actually state that IF you send originals they would keep it and you won't have them back. Very well done photocopies are good to go. BTW you NEED to keep your original registration car as per law on most states inside your car you know...
4. No, there is no a problem on it. You DO have to include the tax returns of 05/06. Now, if you think you can finish your returns and at least have a copy of your tax returns before mail it, you can do it. Many people received their tax information in different dates...so not necessarily you will have everything you need by the time you must file the I-751.
5. Again, by instructions it is a MUST to send a copy (front and back) of your green card.

Good luck,

For some reason people do not read instructions... :cool:

Thx cher and praetorian

Thx a lot .I appoligize if my question looked somewhat :eek:,but i hope that u will find understanding for my concerns.:)

Hello Guys,

We are ready to send our I-751 and are planning to use USPS Priority mail - any dos and don'ts that you guys would recommend, any suggestions on the mailing method (is USPS Priority OK? Do we need to include a return receipt? etc)?

Any last moment tips would help :)

Thanks,

make it USPS Priority Mail, Certified, so that you can have a tracking number. That's good enough